When the best players in the world commonly share the opinion that Bulgarians are 100% unplayable on Arabia -> Bulgarians have a problem in this game!
While almost all Civs were seen in the drafts of the KotD3 Tournament, Bulgarians remain at 0% pick and 0% draft rate.
They only have 2 good bonuses going for them:
- free MAA at the start of feudal
- powerful Kreppost pushes
However, the early MAA became completely predictable and Kreppost rushes only work if you have a little bit of map control (and not completely lose the early game).
But right now Bulgarians have very bad cards at winning the early game / map control!
After the MAA:
- you can go Scouts, which is very awkward as you just spend your food on MAA. Its not a great scout rush and delays your castle time even further -> not worth it
- you can go for Archers -> horrible option as you don’t go to gold with the 20pop MAA build order. Also the archer become completely useless in castle age without Xbow upgrade…
- you can play defensiv with Skirms -> and completly give up map control which you need in early castle for your Kreppost Rush…
All options you can choose will lead you to loseing the game IF you play against an equally skilled opponent that has a civ with actually decent bonuses!
-> therefore we see 0 Bulgarian picks at the high level.
We talked about buffing there Siege or wood income before but that won’t tackle their real issue of already losing when reaching castle age.
Give them free Bloodlines!
(Or if that is too strong, make it only cost a small amount of food (50,75 or 100) and no gold. )
Yes, that is a powerful tech, but consider this:
- going MAA into feudal and then going Scouts hurts you food eco a lot. The Scouts you produce need to be viable for this to make sense!
- you still lag behind in Scout numbers compared to other scout civs like Mongols/Lithuanians!
-> when you go 21pop into Scouts while your Mongol/Lithuanian opponent goes 18pop into Scouts they can have the standard 6 Scouts on the field before you produced your first one!
What this bonus would means for your opponent: He/she actually need to use their scouting SKILLS to find out if you are going MAA or straight Scouts!
Also: going full scouts could become a viable strat again (with Bulgarians). Right now it’s dead…
What do you think?
(Update on the discussion -> see comment 96)