Byzantine Army Comp in late game?

Which units would you train as Byzantines if you go on the offensive?

So far, archers, pikemen, and knights are my best friend lately. Cataphracts if I manage to plop a Castle.

Bonus question: assuming you manage to reach Imperial Age, with safe trade access earning you a fat wallet of gold, would you get Elite Cataphract or Logistica first?

“Bonus question: assuming you manage to reach Imperial Age, with safe trade access earning you a fat wallet of gold, would you get Elite Cataphract or Logistica first”

SOTL made a video for this exact question

In short Elite Catapracht first, then go for Logistica if you’re rich enough

1 Like

[quote=“PCDragon3979, post:1, topic:214359”] Which units would you train as Byzantines if you go on the offensive?
[/quote]

base unit is Arbalest and then you mix whatever is needed. Vs Cavalry civs you go Camels, vs Archer civs you can in principle even go Pike Skirm. In general the reason why Pike Skirm works for Byzantines is that due to their unit discount, you only need like ~110 vills to keep spamming.

Oh don’t forget to ALWAYS mix 2-5 Bombard Cannons to help your push, those are good.

no because Cataphracts are a fairly situational unit and their base damage isn’t impressive, you train them vs Goths and maybe a Camel civ like Gurjaras but not much else.

1 Like

They’re also pretty much a nightmare for Incas, as it counters both Kamayuk and Eagles, likely same is true for Aztecs too. For any Archers or Pikemen/Halberdiers, you have Skirms and Hand Cannon on top, BBC and Siege Ram to push with.

If you are rich enough to go for Elite Cataphract and Logistica you should won the game already

Well, Byzantines are supposed to be a “counter units” civ, so you should probably do whatever counter your opponents units / strengths in 1v1. But when you don’t know, siege + pikes + skirms/arbalests should be fine.

In 1v1, if you are ahead, FU arbalests with siege rams or BBC should work out nicely. But due to weak eco and having probably doneva lot of counter units in mid game, it is more likely that you didnt do much damage to your opponent.

In 1v1 I wouldnt go cavaliers unless I massed a lot if them in castle age and have a timing to go cavaliers/armor upgrade.

In team games, try go arbalests+BBC as flank and try to tech to paladins as pocket.

And as others pointed out, cataphracts is a niche unit especially against high PA infantry such as eagles and huskarls. It seems that Elite upgrade goes first.