Byzantines' Greek Fire Tech Buff, among other ideas

I suggest that greek fire not only effect fire ships but also other siege weapons and archers when attacking buildings as well as siege weapons.

Other ideas that have popped up in the thread:

"Perhaps (resource buildings)mills, lumber and mining camps and docks as well as TCs heal nearby ally units(non-ships) at about the rate of a monk.

Provides both a defensive and offensive buff

The actual healing rate would likely be something more akin to the pole’s bonus yet would be mostly useful during Dark and Feudal age with a bit of a drop-off in use in castle and imperial.

Would need to be balanced so it’s not all-powerful.

The range where the heals happen would probably be within 2-4 tiles. About a farm’s distance would be good."

"Fishing ships being able to garrison in the dock and provide arrow fire being another additional option.

Or for that matter - villagers and fishing ships may garrison in resource drop off points such as docks, lumber camps and mills to provide a small amount of arrow fire, range less than a tc, and less maximum fire-power, if any, than a tower.

About 10 garrison space in each would suffice"

Fire Tower unlocked by greek fire as well as +1 range - possibly for allies as well. (Anti ram/mangonel use possible)
Props to @UpmostRook9474
Might even be able to have the +fire rate bonus for the fire ships effect the fire tower as well

Another option is to have the fire-tower replace the watch-tower line.

2 Likes

Why would you change that?

1 Like

you mean a Castle Age UT that gives +1 range to archers and siege and fire ships? I think that might be just a bit too strong for a single tech to provide

1 Like

The actual effects for each unit may be adjusted per unit needs or for whichever way greek fire would be best implemented as a whole aside from for fire ships as of current.

I do agree that Byz need a buff, but I think they need a buff that kicks in far earlier than Castle Age

Changing cataphracts’ gold cost from 75 to 60 would be a good start.

As for early game, perhaps giving them wood cost for buildings reduced by 25%, (75% wood cost buildings)
as a straight buff to their economy from the earlygame leading into the late game which gives them more flexibility.

Malians already have a similar bonus. So we’d have to think of something else sadly :frowning:

Something defense oriented then

Perhaps (resource buildings)mills, lumber and mining camps and docks as well as TCs heal nearby ally units(non-ships) at about the rate of a monk.

Provides both a defensive and offensive buff

The actual healing rate would likely be something more akin to the pole’s bonus yet would be mostly useful during Dark and Feudal age with a bit of a drop-off in use in castle and imperial.

Would need to be balanced so it’s not all-powerful.

The range where the heals happen would probably be within 2-4 tiles. About a farm’s distance would be good.

Fishing ships being able to garrison in the dock and provide arrow fire being another additional option.

Or for that matter - villagers and fishing ships may garrison in resource drop off points such as docks, lumber camps and mills to provide a small amount of arrow fire, range less than a tc, and less maximum fire-power, if any, than a tower.

That sounds like an interesting idea. Even without arrow fire, it could help survive the critical early game where they struggle.

2 Likes

I think about 10 garrison-space in each of the resource buildings would suffice - it would put them next to Teutons and Sicilians in terms of garrison efficiency/safety.

Another possibility for the greek fire side of things:
If it also effects trebs, perhaps vs buildings/siege they gain similar damage to the special bombard canon upgrade, becoming high dps dealers and also becoming effective somewhat vs rams when well-aimed.

Adding a new team bonus that the allies could build the fire tower.
Then, let the Greek Fire +1 range to the fire tower too.

Just lighted upon this idea.

3 Likes

Byzantines need help before castle age. How is buffing a castle age unique tech going to actually help?

1 Like

By giving them further flexibility in the mid-game.
as for the early game there can be an additional buff.

I like the current team bonus tho - perhaps adding the effect of greek fire to allow the building of the fire towers for allies - tho it was a fairly well kept secret and not really shared, I think the saracens got it at some point, but it may be out of the cards historical-wise.
Fire towers being an anti ram weapon would be interesting and would likely work very well.
As an additional unique building for the Byzantines I think it would be a wonderful edition.

Might even be able to have the +fire rate bonus for the fire ships effect the fire tower as well

Another option is to have the fire tower replace the watch-tower line.

I meant adding a new team bonus, not replace the old one. The Greek fire +1 range of the own fire tower for the Byzantines player.

If the fire tower have to be unlocked by the UT or replace the tower line, that will be bad.

So two separate team bonuses?