Byzantines - need they slight change?

Yes, you have already said it and it was clearly observable, that majority did not support your idea, like can be seen from likes on your comment vs my counter-comments (first and second).
You just can’t force player into a situation where he must base his army around castle-trained unit, because castles have too high cost and build time vs normal military production buildings.

I play campaigns and am used to building a lot of military production buildings where needed in order to reinforce my army as quickly as possible. I can easily build stables and train paladins from them, but how am I supposed to do something similar with cataphracts, when castles have approximately 4 times bigger cost and build time, hmm?

It doesn’t matter what statistics you will give to cataphract (unless you make it into a cobra car) or its upgrade time, because it is many times harder to train them than paladins due to depending on castles.

This is general truth for all castle-trained unique units in this game, including cataphracts - they are not suitable as main unit due to depending on castles. Sometimes they are suitable as supportive units. So stop trying to replace paladins with cataphracts, pretending like it is even possible to train them in comparable quantities. And what if player runs out of stone which can easily happen???

If you would suggest to replace knight-line with cataphracts in stables for byzantines, then it would be a different story, where player could actually train them in reasonable quantities.

1 Like