Campaign narrator speaks wrong language

On AOE 9.1.176.0 / Sultan’s Ascend Campaign

My AOE game runs in Dutch, the menu are Dutch, subtitles are Dutch. Cinematic movies are in English with Dutch subtitles. So far, so good.

However, for some reason, the texts in-game during the missions (eg. ‘The beast is attacking’ or something like that in mission 1 of the expansion), the text on-screen are in Dutch but they are spoken / read-aloud by some kind of Alexa / Google Assistant / Siri / Cortana-voice. And to make it worse: that ########## (Text To Speech) is set to English, so it’s trying to read a Dutch text with an English voice. That sounds really weird of course and also causes the voice to spell out two- or three-letter words because it can’t make heads or tails of it…

This is not the accessibility voice-over feature, it is the normal in-campaign narrator. I looked up some clips on YouTube and there these text are properly spoken in English by a real (recorded) human, not Cortana. When I set my game to English, these text are still spoken by Cortana, although she’s then trying to speak English with an English setting, so that makes sense. But I never get the actual human voices that I see on YouTube…

1 Like