Can see allied building foundations through fog of war

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.44834.0 6148570
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

You can see foundations of allied buildings in fog of war even before cartography (i.e. built a market). These foundations disappear once your ally starts the construction.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS) if it is a team game.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start a team game, either singleplayer or multiplayer.
  2. Explore some area and leave it. This can be shortened by starting the game in explored visibility.
  3. Have your ally build something in that explored part. You shouldn’t build a market. Also none of your ally should be Portuguese.
  4. You will see foundations of those buildings appear in fog of war. They will disappear once your ally puts one hammer into them. For example, starting in explored visibility with AI, you can briefly see foundations of houses, lumbercamps etc. near your ally’s base.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

Before the Jan 26 patch, you couldn’t see ally foundations in fog before cartography.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

2 Likes

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.45185.0 6215101

You can see foundations that your allies place in the unexplored black area of the map. The foundations stop being visible after a villager starts working on the building, but as long as the foundation is 0%, it is visible to allies.

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

1. Start a 2v2 / 3v3 / 4v4 game with teams
  2. Look at your ally AI or human player’s base at start
  3. You will be able to see the placed house foundations in the fog
  4. Works like this with any other building too

You shouldn’t be able to see allied foundations on unexplored / dark areas of the map

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

In this short recorded game, if you switch to perspective of red player, and look at orange player’s base, you will clearly be able to see 2 house foundations

allied foundations visible in unexplored area.aoe2record (1.5 MB)

6 Likes

This is even more confusing when playing with treaty. Then you can sometimes even see the foundations of your enemies (the game I played where I saw that was on explored map I think, so a little bit different to what is shown here…). This helped me to see where they are walling, so I was able to get a sneaky vill around their walls.

1 Like

Ok, I have reproduced my treaty thingy. Since enemys are shown as allys during treaty I think this belongs here (otherwise someone would merge a new bug report into this nevertheless).

This is a 1v1 with treaty in SP (works the same way in MP I assume, have seen it already…) with explored map. Red is my enemy, but on treaty. I can see his unbuild Foundation on the map, and even on the minimap (!). I dont think I should be able to see them. They also disappear when the building gets its first HP (assumption… they disappear real quick after popping up)

Here the same game again, but this time on unexplored. Notice: Red is called Ally (green color, description of house), but we are enemys on treaty. (=bug that originally was posted here, but expanded from only ally to ally and treatied enemy)

I totally get that treaty is almost never played and always played by noobs, but these people in particular play on explored, and it really is a big issue in such games to see foundations, especially on minimap (like where is the enemy walling?). You can make that bug less worse for yourself, by always only placing a building in front of a vill, so the unbuild foundation is not visible as long. But this requires more micro and lets be honest: noone would ever do it while walling.

5 Likes

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 6228353 (v101.101.45340.0, current patch)

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
During a team game, I could suddenly see two of my ally’s house in an area that I hadn’t explored yet. This bug was present both during the game and when watching the recorded game. I’m unsure if it’s related, but around a minute before seeing those houses I sent this player two of his sheep - I know that there are some issues with sheep being visible through the fog of war, so I thought I would mention it.

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• Less than 25% of the time / matches I play (RARELY)
    Note that I am unaware about the frequency of this issue, this was my first and only multiplayer team game in weeks. In single player team games this issue was not present.

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

1. Load the recorded game
  2. Note player 5’s houses at the edge of the map around the 4:30 minute mark.

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

The allied player’s house foundations should not be visible to me.

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

4 Likes

Thank you all for the report! It appears that this issue is being tracked and has a fix in the works for an upcoming release. Will let you know if the team needs any additional information for any reason!

Thanks again!