Can you build random walls and unlimited towers in AoE4?

With AoE4 teasers, it almost seems like the days of building random walls and towers anywhere we want and as much as we want might be over?

There seems to be a big focus to have your civ enclosed by a perimeter wall, to make it a formidable fortress. That worries me slightly, as I enjoy the sprawling empire aspect of AoE1 and AoE2. Being constrained by walls might feel a bit claustrophobic, if we can’t sprawl very much.

So far, the perimeter wall thing reminds me of “Age of Empires: Castle Siege,” where you make your buildings within wall constraints, and wait for the enemy to attack.

I know AoE4 will be totally different, but I can’t help but wonder how much our hands might be tied by the walls around our main city; in terms of what we can build, where we can build, and how much we can build of certain things – including walls and towers.

AoE: Castle Siege screenshots:

I know AoE4 aims to do some new stuff. So, we’ll see how it goes and how fun the game is when I actually get to play it. For now, it’s just a little concern I wanted to share :slight_smile:

In the video they were manually placing palisade walls and having them be built with vils. So I expect we will be able to build them where ever.

1 Like

Definitely a valid concern. However, when we saw images of the English base in the castle age, there were two layers of walls: an inner palisade wall, and an outer stone wall. So, much like in real life, I’m imagining that you can add sections of wall to your existing base anytime you want to expand.

Also, we’ve seen images of freestanding towers from both the English and the Mongols, so no worries there :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Excellent! I’m sorry I missed these moments in my re-review of some game footage

This news makes me happy :smiley:
:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: