"Cannot connect to Steam. Please check your internet connection" error appears when trying to play online

Game Version:

• Build: 101.101.36202.0 4819260
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Gamertag: ??

Issue:

When I try to play online the “Cannot connect to Steam. Please check your internet connection” popup appears.

Please not that this is NOT a Steam problem, since I’m able to play any other game, for example, AOE II HD (2013) which I bought bundled with this one. I also am connected to the internet and you can tell that because I can navigate in any browser and because the connection to Steam is done without any problem.

Im using a desktop computer with Windows 10 Enterprise, 8GB RAM DDR4, an intel i7 processor and a 1070 TI video card. The computer is connected to the internet through a plugable wifi adaptor. This is the adaptor.

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem:

1. Connect to Steam and open Game (could be by double clicking directly on the game thumbnail, as in the video, or opening Steam and launching the game from there or connectig to Steam and then manually launching the game, it’s all the same)
  2. Once game opens, try to press the “multiplayer” option or to the xbox live button in the top right corner
  3. It immediately shows the popup saying “Cannot connect to Steam. Please check your internet connection”.
  4. Note that on point number 3 IT DOESN’T EVEN TRY. It fails right after clicking the button. It is NOT an internet connection problem because it’s not even trying to fetch something. It’s failing before.

ATTACHMENTS:

:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH A SCREENSHOT IF YOU ARE ABLE!) DONE
:heavy_check_mark: (BONUS: ATTACH A VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM HAPPENING) DONE
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH YOUR DXDIAG IF YOU ARE ENCOUNTERING A TECHNICAL ISSUE) Doesn’t seem necessary but DONE
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH ANY CRASH/GAME LOGS [IF RELEVANT]) There aren’t any

LINK TO DRIVE WITH DXDIAG, VIDEO AND SCREENS: Link to drive.

1 Like

Thank you, @UsualPrism84507, for this detailed report! Our Test team is on the case as they dig to find the cause and solution to the problem at hand.

Thanks again!

I have the exact same issue, it is not persistent, I could play yesterday, but today and 2 days ago I’m receiving the same issue…

In my case, it was the work VPN connection I forgot to disconnect.