These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.
- **GAME BUILD : Hotfix 45185 post Byzantine fire ship fix
GAME PLATFORM: Steam
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10
DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
Can’t change my hotkeys. I can’t even reset certain keys. I see the new letter, press confirm, leave the options, and… nothing’s changed. I go back in the options to see that indeed nothing’s changed.
FREQUENCY OF ISSUE
How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!
100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)
List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!
Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:
- Change or reset any hotkey
- Confirm and leave the options
- Press the hotkey or go back in the options to observe that the change hasn’t been saved.
What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
The change should have been saved.
did you change your folder to read only? some players do that to prevent mod download/update and that also affect the hotkeys.
Hi, thanks for your reply!
I didn’t know about a “read-only” attribute. However, after checking, I saw that my “[…]/steamapps/common/AoE2DE” folder has in its properties a “read-only” box filled (not a checkmark though, just filled). Should I change something here? I mean, I regularly do small adjustements to my hotkeys and never had this problem after any past update, so could it really be because of this?
Thanks again for your help!
hotkey is set for player’s profile so where game is installed (under steam) should not be an issue.
this path is where to check:
C:\Users(USER NAME)\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE
This is what I found:
- The properties of the folder “[…]/Games/Age of Empires 2 DE” has a box “read-only” filled (not a checkmark).
- Following this path, I found that my hotkeys file (.hki) was last modified yesterday, which seems odd to me, as it precisely refused to change in-game.
- Following a different path “[…]/Steam/userdata/[huge number]/[huge number]/remote”, I found my hotkeys file again, this time last modified the 30th of january. I can’t remember if I changed my hotkeys that day, but it definitely could be.
(The userdata folder also has its “read-only” box filled).
I’ve never messed with the properties of files or touched hotkey files outside of the game.
In the same spirit as with the new obtained medals, I can now change again my hotkeys. As soon as I click “confirm”, it is indeed confirmed again.
As with the medals problem, I’m unsure how it got solved, and if it will be permanent, but I don’t encounter it right now anymore.
Maybe it was a problem with my own computer…