Castles for everyone!

I like it so much the image of the City Gate, that I tried to build one in a game… LOL

3 Likes

Nice castle choices but this would have to come as a free update for me to get it.

Similarly I would love to see adjusted monasteries, monk and villager skins.

8 Likes

I think we should get it in anniversary update, in november. Also I think it should be an option to play with classic look of castles that you can turn on. Maybe unique castles could even be an official mod.

2 Likes

I agree, every civ has a unique wonder, but we rarely see those in game,
even if the castles for each civ were unique but not based strictly on a real building, I’d be very happy. Hell, there’s probably a lot of potential to mix/map reuse aspects of the 3D models to generate unique designs but with a similar theme, the central European castle could easily be rearranged to make similar styles by very different castle designs with minimal total rework from an artists perspective, and then you chuck in different colour variations.

Something as simple as changing colours on an the Asian castle and mirroring it/removing the front stairs would give a fairly unique look that could be given to koreans for example (steal roof colours from the porcelian tower wonder)

As said already mentioned above, castles have no readability constraints compared to other buildings simply due to their size and height.

Its such a little change all things considered, but has huge world building and immersion potential. I’d like to see it.

2 Likes

Gonna revive this thread as it’s something I’ve wanted for a long time, now. That’s not to mention all the other stuff I’ve wanted
Thanks to Abel on the official Discord server for bringing attention to it.

I understand that the unique Castles given to the Burgundians, Sicilians, Poles & Bohemians is potentially to divert more people to them and try them out, while also adding just that little bit more to their respective expansions, but I also feel like it makes the other civs feel left out; all forty of them have their own unique identity, and the work done to change their Castles can satisfy a LOT of players’ desires to see their buildings & units become less visually generic.

6 Likes

Give us a castle-dedicated DLC please.

2 Likes

This would have to come free you said earlier.

You seriously are a big hypocrite.

2 Likes

Wait you are the kid who pretended or wanted to be indian.

Anyway, am I not allowed to change my mind over the time span of multiple months?

Aren’t the default castles already based on real castles?

Same for the unique ones.

I’d also like if every civ had unique temple models, like AoE3 civs.

2 Likes

Sounds like the cherry on top. Unique Kings would be neat too.

I don’t know how the castles are in the West, but I’m sure that does not in East Asia.
The default East Asian castle may refer to the Japanese style, but it is definitely an overhead design. Lanterns, Y-shaped stairs, floors with fences and terraces, these designs are more similar to Chinese tower and pagoda buildings. There are many castles in Japan, just google them to appreciate their magnificence, and many of them are worthy of reference. Just check more Japanese castle as you can and obvious the point of their style seriously, then you can notice that they are indeed different from the current in-game East Asian castle. If the dev don’t want to design the art picture from 0, they can also use the module of the Shogunate Wonder in AOE3, because it is closer to the real Japanese castle.

Anyway the Japanese are also worth an own castle too.

Kumamoto Castle (熊本城)

Osaka Castle (大阪城)

Himeji Castle (姫路城), so-called most beautiful Japanese castle

Shogunate in AoE3, based on Himeji Castle

3 Likes

I’ve been here, and just WOW YES

1 Like

I remember seeing in the AoE wiki that the default East Asian castle is based on a section of a Japanese castle. That info should still be there.

yeah and other sections from non-Jap-castle buildings.

I hadn’t thought of that. If it’s doable it would be great.

Are you sure it’s based on Himeji Castle? It doesn’t look especially similar to me, and the name Shogunate (given the AoE3 time period) suggests to me it should be Edo Castle (some of which, including the keep, doesn’t exist anymore).

The Wiki says it’s based on Osaka Castle, but it just looks like a generic Japanese castle to me.

1 Like
1 Like

Well according to the website.
I don’t think they are similar enough too.

1 Like