Catapult impact craters

I’ve noticed how catapult stones now leave impact creaters where they land. That’s epic and it’s exactly the kind of thing a modern release like this should add. Here’s a suggestion: I’ve noticed they fade away very fast - why not make them fade away (or errode away) slowly just like unit corpses do. That would make old battlefields look so much more epic.

1 Like

Maybe they made it faster to get better performance. Or not.

I like it no matter the time they fade away.

I wonder if there is any connection between the catapults reload time and the duration of the impact craters.

@Zsombro said:
Maybe they made it faster to get better performance. Or not.

I like it no matter the time they fade away.

Right now they seem to fade away almost the moment they appear. The crater is only flashing for a brief second or two before disappearing. Would be so much cooler if they slowly eroded away like bodies do - it’s details like this that give the map a lasting ‘history’ based on what the players do that really sets AoE apart from other rts games (wood chopping has a similar effect).

I assume if they can have slowly fading bodies that they can do the same with impact craters. If performance is an issue they can have the effect toggleable in the options or simply limit the max number of slowly fading craters that can be present at any time. It shouldnt impact MP in any way seeing as this can be done entierly on the user side with no synching necessary.

1 Like