Cavalry Archer Regional Unit

Have you done a translation already?

Yeah, it would be cool, especially since it’s the oldest written Germanic language. As for pronunciation…frankly I trust anyone who speaks German and/or Swedish and has done a bit of research into (likely) Gothic pronunciation to come up with a credible interpretation. Honestly I might take a crack at it down the road if nobody else does.
While we’re at it, it would be nice for the Gothic UU to be renamed Gadrauhts as well. Or even Hundafaþs.

3 Likes

Changing languages is fine but why even waste time to change unit lines or rename uus for the sake of doing?

Thanks, when I tried I didn’t find anything convincing.

Yes, I was just curious, not trying to argue against it.

1 Like

I spoke with the Gothic Language Revival people. I speak zero Gothic, except for the Gothic words already in my language, which I don’t know what words are

Waste time? Doing the research and recordings for language is a several-days process at most optimistic - more likely several weeks or a month. Renaming a unit or tech is a matter of minutes (for modders anyway). In general I don’t bother advocating for changes to serve a primarily historical purpose - the main exception being renames of UUs/UTs to things that make more sense, because those are changes that improve the feel of the civs without being at all invasive on current gameplay. They’ve already done it with Mercenaries → Corvinian Army. El Dorado → Cotton Armor, Slavs → Rus or Ruthenians, and Huskarl → Gadrauhts are all low hanging fruit for further changes.

Thing is, most knowledgeable people won’t work for free unless they’re very passionate about the particular project. Again though, I think Gothic is very accessible to anyone who knows German or Swedish. I would even add anyone who has studied Old Norse or Anglo Saxon, which are rife with cognates (and may have been the reason why they original devs felt they could justify the “Huscarl” as the Gothic UU). Its just a matter of putting in the time for research.

2 Likes

In aoe 2 accurate reloading is nonexistent. units like the Handcannoneers, Ballista Elephants, Crossbow, and all siege units straight up ignore the issue of reloading altogether.

Tbh even something like “Foederati” wouñd be better

You do realise that you are much better making a rename mod for your personal use rather than renaming something in the base game and then confusing thousands of players who are accustomed to it?

1 Like

Yes, just like it would be better to make a personal mod if I wanted to rename “Indians” as Hindustanis and make many changes to the civ and add 3 other civs with components of the current civ than expect the devs to do such a radical thing which would be confusing to thousands of players who are accustomed to it.

/s

6 Likes

So there are people trying to revive Gothic? Cool.

Not to mention there are mods with weird made up stuff like Elk riders in Age of Wonders
It’s very easy to find out people never rode elks.

Also that mode has Morrocans getting no horses (only camels) and using the Somali architecture, despite living on the opposite coast.

Oh, and talking about Somalis in AoE3, the lighthouse in their settlements and in their alliance image was built by Italians and way after AoE3’s time.

2 Likes

Goths weren’t foederati except during the reign of Zeno, in the East.

Goths are meant to represent the late period Barbarians inngeneral

That is certainly not the same thing. The changes you are suggesting is affecting all civs and thus much more radical. Changes made to Indians is just a correction of past mistake made by Forgotten Empires. That’s why there isn’t much outcry.
And what’s keeping you to make a rename mod if it’s easy to make? Why do you want to impose your will on everybody?

I’ve already stated I’m neutral as to the cav archer change.
The only things I’ve advocated for in this thread are naming changes, completely independent of gameplay. And they are also corrections of past mistakes of the devs (naming a UU and UT after things that don’t make sense/and or belong to a different culture). Not the biggest deal of course, but they’re low effort, low impact changes that some people will appreciate.

:joy: Don’t get excited, I have no political aspirations

2 Likes

I would just say game balance is a little bit more important than historical accuracy. If everything was accurate then some civs will end up hell op and nothing would be left to the skill of the player. There are important balance issues to be addressed than this.

Ignores armour like a leitis but ranged?

ignore armour on a ranged unit is completely busted.

2 Likes

Unless their damage is like 3 and doesn’t benefit from any smithing techs.

what would be the point even? about the only thing it would be better then a generic arb against would be something like…Huskarls, Serjeants, and the like.

I wasn’t saying it would be good just that’s about the tipping point. Also stronger vs siege.