Change Burmese?

OK, but as burmese i usually go for knights and/or camels. They’re great. And you can also pair them with siege very well.
Almost every late-game combo is almost unstoppable when rolling, but burmese are by far not the strongest. Koreans, Khmer, Teutons, Ethiopians, Indians, Persians… all have great late-game comps where burmese can’t do anythig against.

1 Like

massed arambai > massed xbows if you micro.

Burmese are fine, their only main problem is that they have terribile skirms.

An idea could be to reduce the PA of the arambai by 1, then give them the second armor.

That way their skirms would be better and the arambai rush would be nerfed a bit, since you would need a tech more to research.

6 Likes

I like this idea.

I think if you put a few more of Arambi’s power behind techs that would help. Just like the fully upgraded Mangadi is locked behind a good number of techs.

They suffer the mangudai syndrome. The civ is balanced, but their unique unit is much stronger that any other option you have, so the best you can do is always go for arambai, no matter the situation nor the matchup.

I’m not saying that the civ is strong nor that arambai are broken. I say that they are their strongest option in every situation, so it’s too d*mn boring to play against burmese.

3 Likes

Arambai have no chance to all range units, not only Skirms. So they are not OP at all. Just how fast they can melt building is insane. But congs are hard to stop in castle age too.

… burmese camels?

That’s not a late game combo. It’s a castle age combo

You have to get to late game, it’s not a given

Massed arambai have to damage to kill anything. Furthermore, arambai is usually paired with mangonels to deal with skirms and xbows.

Sorry, eles. Was thinking on berbers, i mix them up sometimes ;D

Late castle comp, and expensive, too.

Once again, that’s lategame to me. I don’t think, burmese are an op boom civ in any case. And I also still think, arambai are quite weak units. They have good offensive potential, but only if, and that’s a big if, the opponent is already on its backfoot.

I was about to write the same. It sounds like a good offset.

1 Like

Arambai are the main strategy people go for online. Massed Arambai have almost no counter unit unless they can be lured into some trap.

Yes they have great infantry as well but I have yet to see someone actually using it in multiplayer. Maybe they are not aware.

Getting a castle costs like 1000 res (100 mining camp + 650 stone mined + 250 res building time/walking time). That’s about 7 knights or 14 archers.

Then Arambi need stable upgrades (build stable + blood lines + husbandry).
Then Arambi need archer upgrades (blacksmith + fletch + bodkin + uni + ballistics) [update: fletching/bodkin doesn’t effect Arambi]
Then Arambi need possible archer def upgrade and thumbring [update: no thumbring for burmese]

So while you are getting all of those you should be overrun by opponent’s army.

It’s hard to get to, obviously!

3 Likes

???
They never overrun me

1 Like

IDK how you calculate 250 resources extra for the castle. It cost 650 stone. Period.
Arambai are useful without both bloodlines and Husbandry. You add those after you have massed them.

And arambais are affected nor by fetching neither by thumbing… So yeah, your analysis is all wrong

3 Likes

Burmese don’t even have access to thumb ring lol.

1 Like

and with mongols you want to go for mangoday… i don’t get the problem

2 Likes

The fack dude. They don’t need Thumb Ring, Parthian Tactics, Bracer line. Think of them as Scout Cavalry which is affected by Archer armor upgraded at Blacksmith instead of Cavalry armor, and also Ballistics. You can skip the Archery Range entirely when going for Arambai.

3 Likes

I try to calculate the cost of the time to build it. A house costs 25 wood but takes like 32 resources to build, because of building time. That’s the value SOTL uses.

Castle takes 3.33 minutes to build, which is 66-99 resources of a single villager. But you usually build with more, which in the limit doubles it to 132-198. Then an extra concern is walking to the spot, cause unlike a house that you generally drop anywhere, you walk your vils to and from the castle foundation, causing a bunch of extra idle time.

I estimated it at 250 extra idle time from walking+building but surely it can be as low as 150 with no real upper limit.

650 stone is the building cost, but the resource cost overall on your economy, that you would otherwise have is a bunch more.

2 Likes

Totally agree especially the decreasing of the range, since when we look at Arambai it is actually cav arch unit in somehow, so their range at least should be like any other cav arch which is it 4 and still 4 even with upgrading to heavy cav arch, so i suggest to make the Arambai range 4 and still 4 even with the elite one or if this not gonna happen then they must decrease their attack

1 Like

Except the range of other cav archer units can be upgraded with fletching/bodkin/bracer while Arambai are stuck at 5 range

7 Likes

Burmese are fine, they are a two trick civs (arambai and infantry) and that’s it, no need nerfing them.

The only change (and small nerf for arambai) could be that you give them the second archer armor and you decrease the arambai PA by 1.