Cheaper heavy Scorpion

I agree on this. Onager has similar role of scorpion and simply better as well as hard counter Scorpion. Scorpion need distinct role and I think giving slight bonus damage vs Cavarly make them soft counter to Cavarly.
Scorpion become more well-rounded seige but still be OK if it still hard countered by Onager/BBC

2 Likes

Sounds OP with celts but so does +1 range

As some of the posts before already state, the cost wont solve the problem. The issue is the range. It is completely absurd, that a slow an expansive siege unit, that is not availabke before csstle age, has such a bad range. The unit should be effective in the field it is intended to use, so it has to be a counter to archers. This will not be the case until theo range is not only equal, but better than archers. Eveb the suggestey +1 range wont make much difference. It will do, if heavy scorpion with SE reaches british archers.

1 Like

I believe, the role of Scorpions is to hard counter foot soldiers only (infantry & foot archers).

Therefore, buff accordingly; Probably just make them a bit more mobile. Already having decent piercing armor & decent offensive impact versus these targets, they lack some more mobility/maneuverability.

PS: Buffing Scorpion damage vs Cavalry would be good (since Cav has big HP pool and Scorps are machines), as long as it wouldn’t affect Cavalry Archers too (which doesn’t have big HP pool). So, that’s not towards the right direction. Increased mobility/maneuverability helps vs Cavalry, nonetheless.

Or just Bonus damage you would need to give them like 1.3 in order to chase down calvary also why buff a unit against its intended counter

That is also good suggestion. Now scorpion speed is 0.65, which is slightly faster than onager but slower than BBC (0.7). I think it can be buffed to 0.75, which make at least can escape from BBC, more easier to escape from bad fight.
It can be interesting if mongols drill scorpions become faster than most infantry (I never see mongols train mass scorpion, so as other civ except Khmers).

Drill is kind of a stupid tech but it can be fun and admittedly hilarious with a full garrison Siege tower outrunning Hussars

Instead thet could follow the onager korean approach: decrease minimum range.
Korean team bonus used to be extra onager range but was replaced for the current one which is fine as a team bonis.

Scorpions with less minimum range would perform better mostly against cavalry, while still being beating by enemy siege and countering enemy infantry and archers.

Scorpions only have a minimum range of 2 so tbh removing it all together would be a more interesting bonus.

5 Likes

Only if the range is upped to 8 though