Civ and unit choices for 3v3 / 4v4 (RM)

@KORT99KORT said:
Shang has been the best and most versatile civ for 20 years. The cheaper villagers means you never have a bad random map, you will ALWAYS have constant stream of villagers. They have a pretty good tech tree and are not limited to gold-only units later game, which is a problem in longer 4x4 games or FFA for some other civs. Shang is the tier 1 civ, all alone at the top. Impossible to match their economy for 25+ minutes and the game is usually over before then.

And for those that champion Macedonia, also weak. Any civ without a Wheel is severely handicapped on multiple levels. 1) economy tanks in early bronze when everyone else gets ‘faster’ villagers and 2) lack of chariots. The cheaper price stone throwers can’t be upgraded, they are limited to being stone throwers. And 25% savings isn’t really 25% if the villagers are so…slow.

confirmed, Mace get wheel. I played them multiple times.

Babylonian is a great defensive civ and if your games are going into ‘building wonders’, then that’s what Baby is built to do. Shang is not into building wonders—they are built to end game in bronze. And Shang is built to have such an economic advantage (a ‘better’ shang player will have 30-50%, or more, villagers, at end of game…you have 40, they had 65. You had 100, they had 150) that they have many more military units available to them. A good Shang player should have a constantly growing timeline with both villagers and military units that is tough for most civs to handle through bronze age; when the game ends and you see the enemy Shang timeline you are left wondering “wow, how I was ever expected to keep up with that!”. They can chop more wood than Phoney, mine more stone than Baby, mine more gold than Egypt, etc. through more villagers on the board. If you survive to Iron with your own non-Shang econ intact, you can throttle Shang in Iron with many civs.

I see they likely nerfed Phoney’s wood ‘bug’ bonus to work as intended (and also slowed walking speed of Yamato and Assy, so some stronger civs from long ago got toned down a little) so Phoney is less overpowered with wood from 20 years ago but—wood bonus early (and getting more upgrades at the market) is no joke

If you love Baby, then consider some defensive towers early to buy time if getting rushed. As I wrote originally, they have a very full tech tree with all of the upgrades at the market, gov’t center, and some nice high end units so they can use the market upgrades on their economy to actually do something in Iron (unlike some weaker civs like Persia that run out economic juice in the longer games) I always preferred Egypt to Babylonian—they are similar-ish, but Egypt get the gold mining bonus and strongest chariots (and the best priests). They are like an offensive-minded Babylonian.

As for priests—yes, too much micromanagement. Even with Egypt’s great range. Some games, they make sense—like islands when you convert enemy ships, hiding behind walls and converting elephants or catapult or something. But too much micro for real games and most games aren’t islands or elephant-converting worthy. A few for healing is nice though. There is a 1 in a 1,000 games you lose that you think “wow, I wish I had made priests…I would have won that game”.

(I have to repost this because of a forum glitch; edit attempt removed the entire post)

@JoonasTo said:
BABYLONIAN lategame will be mainly Priests + Catapults + Scythe Chariots. If you’re against a civilization without any decent archers you can also do Legion but missing armour+shield techs hurt them a lot. Horse Archers are your best fighting unit in iron but you don’t get Heavy Horse Archers so they don’t scale up. Still they are often your first choice instantly after reaching iron for that power spike. Can do Tower push with Priests and Catapults as well, very strong but requires a bit of planning.
Bronze is everything goes, you’ve got full tech tree and can do literally anything you like. Very versatile.
Gold Heavy if going priests, otherwise very little gold required.
Good boom, good eco
Bad navy
Example strat: Walls → Chariot Archers → Horse Archers → Priests

Babylonian lategame can be a huge problem if you’re not a priest/tower person. When everyone else has heavy horse archers or elephant archers and you’re stuck with legion with only one shield upgrade it’s not a fun day should some centurions block your scythes without armour from reaching them. The solution is of course to learn how to push with towers and priests so it’s a matter of preference/skill, not weakness.
Problems with navy though.

I’ve been almost exclusively playing with Babylonians so far and chose them as my “main” civilization. Shang came as second.

The reason I picked **Babylon **over Shang is really bad Shang Iron Age from my perspective. I’m not a cavalry fan and the only thing Shang seems to have over Babylon in Iron Age are FU Cataphracts. Everything else is crippled in some way as you already mentioned. Archers have no Ballistics and Alchemy, navy is the worst (Alchemy increases the attack of Fire Ships by +8 AFAIK) although the question is how much do you even fight in Iron Age with the navy… Shang Siege is also dreadful. Yes, Helepolis is there but without Engineering and Ballistics. No Ballista Towers.

I understand that Shang is a strong civ and that sometimes Babylonian civ bonuses turn out to be useless. But I don’t want to just spam Scythe Chariots in Iron Age (they’re not that fun to use), which seems like the only thing to do with Shang (since I don’t like Cataphract line). And a lot of the games go to Iron Age in FFA with 5+ people, or in 3v3/4v4. Shang bonus evaporates later on. Babylonian Iron Age is much more interesting. They have Legion, although without some upgrades, but hey, at least you can spam these nice looking units when you’re already winning. Horse Archers, same thing, but I’m more a fan of raiding with Chariot Archers than HA, since I don’t think the gold is worth it. But what’s really good about Babylon in Iron Age are FU Heavy Catapults. 15 range; they destroy everything and the only threat is the cavalry/scythes. Gold cost is almost the same as that for Horse Archers, but with the possibility to get much more out of it. Babylonian catapult is a weapon of mass destruction. I had one 2v2v2 (or 2v2v2v2) game where my ally trained archers and I built catapults. We basically did Attack+Move across the whole map and cleaned it. It could be argued we could’ve done the same with something else because maybe we were better players than the competition, but it was still quite fun nevertheless. And that’s the point of the game.

I don’t mind “pushing with towers”, it’s a tower civ. But I haven’t experimented with that properly. I did test priests and had moderate success vs elephants while I was behind a wall, but pushing with priests? How do you protect them from dying easily? It’s rare to have no one training chariots with 5+ players in a game. So far priests have been underwhelming in my tests to the point that I gave up on them. They require insane amount of micromanagement, which is a resource in itself. And the benefit is… questionable.

There is one tactic that Babylon shines with, and that I’ve used several times already. It’s getting to Iron Age, getting FU Heavy Catapults, building layers of walls and then building a Wonder ASAP. Most of the time I don’t need anything but catapults in defense. Nothing gets close. I don’t need to push anywhere, they need to push towards me. I only once lost a Wonder, and that’s a long time ago when I didn’t wall properly at all (ally left a gap). This tactic obviously requires Standard game (and I only go for those nowadays because it’s more fun) and is best in FFA with 5+ players, or in 2v2v2(v2) games. These games are more chaotic, and everyone is reluctant to rush walled Babylon. They prefer to go for easier targets while I boom. But even in a 3v3/4v4 game, all I need is to hold ground until Iron Age and then it’s doable. Again, I am not saying this is a tactic for expert 2v2 games, but otherwise it has been really fun, with entertaining chat during the countdown and after game ends. And Babylon Wonder is very pretty (Shang too; not a fan of the others).

Anyway, Wonder tactic in Iron Age means that I play a civ that has all the technologies/units in Bronze Age and earlier, which despite mediocre/poor civ bonuses gives me versatility (and thus provides fun), whereas if I make it to Iron Age I can bypass the weaknesses of the civ by focusing on what Babylon does best and that’s walls and catapults (with few towers if there’s stone left, but using stone on walls for defense is much better because as long as walls are up catapults destroy everything). I think this is the optimal way to play Babylon. It’s not the only thing I do of course, but everything else is something that another civ would be better at.

Babylon imo one of the worst civ overall. Your only useful Bonus is extra HP for walls and towers and techtree wise you only get FU catapults and towers, but for everything else like eles, chariots, Legion, horse archers you lack important upgrades. Eco wise they’re one of the slowest or even the slowest :confused:

Also going for wonder victory every game is kinda lame.

Shang is 1000 times better than babylonians.

Also i wouldnt say that shang is complete trash in iron, they still have heavy horse archer, FU chariots and cataphracts (cata suck tho), catapults and helepolis. I agree tho that the lack of ballistics hurts a lot, it’s a joke that there even exist civs that lack this very basic upgrade.

Yes, Alchemy gives fire ships attack and it means two less attacks on killing Triremes. Not a huge deal because fire ships biggest problem is getting close in the first place but it’s a significant loss to the civ. Another is missing ballistics. It’s a huge upgrade for archer units(which war galleys are) and not having it hurts. Even if Shang is bottom of the barrel, that doesn’t make Babylonian any less garbage. Like you said though, the naval war is most often over before the game gets to iron and before that, Shang holds a small lead with the cheaper vils.

For land maps yeah, Shang has a huge lead in the early game that Babylonian player has to catch. Food is the slowest gathering resource and the most expensive resource after you get your storage pit up(until gold, wood or stone runs out) so the lead can not be underestimated. Even more so when booming and you need one less farm per TC to uphold constant villager production. Also that last armour upgrade on Scythe Chariots really stacks up when you’ve made 300 of them. But if you don’t want to make SC in iron, nor do you like Cataphracts, what Shang has going for it are kind of bad heavy horse archers without ballistics or chemistry(still better than plain horse archers of babylonian though) and bad helepolis without ballistics and engineering. Makes sense to go with Babylonian if you like kind of bad Legion and good catapults more.

Priests are, like you noted, not a simple thing. Enemies are Macedon? No priests. They doing chariot archers? No priests. Swordsmen? No priests(can work, especially with walls or allies, just very hard to make cost effective.) Composite bowman(especially Minoan.) No priests. But see anything else? Spam away. They’re pretty average cost(125 resources, a little more than chariot archer at 110, much cheaper than cavalry at 150) but they only cost gold and gold is very easy to get before it runs out from the map. They build slow though so you need multiple temples and they are pretty expensive at 200 but easily saved from not having to build those extra farms.

The big priest benefit is cost-efficiency.So if you capture a cavalry(150 res, 80 gold,) not only did you kill the enemy cavalry(150res,) you gained one of your own(another 150 res,) over double the value of the priest(125 resources!) Your priest probably survived too so it has a chance to do it again. Capture two cavalry with a single priest and it’s gained 600 resource value, or over four times it’s own. That’s insane. Even if we go by the gold value, a priest capturing a cavalry is already worth it’s cost and more. The obvious downside is that they need to be microed individually. If you don’t have APM for that, well, train, train, train. I prefer to use cloning technique when converting. So select all your priests, right click an enemy, deselect one from the unitbar, right click a new enemy, repeat. It requires you to be pretty fast with your mouse, if you find yourself converting a single unit and running out of faith try doing it like this instead: select your priests in one control group, select a single priest from the unit bar, right click an enemy, select your priest control group again, select another priest, right click an enemy, repeat. That way doesn’t require you to be quite as fast but is slower if you have large numbers of priests. Single priests in the early phase you should just control group individually.

You got the right idea with walls and priests vs elephants. This works against all melee units and is the best way of making use of them against them. Wall offensively. Bring some villagers with you for quickly blocking the path with large buildings if you see fast units charging at you. Use converted units as living walls. Block with other priests than the one they are targeting. Heal the attacked priest with others. Any and all means at your disposal to save those priest lives. It’s hardest at first when you don’t have much with you but after you have gathered bit of an army, just move that as a wall in front of you while keeping the priests behind. If you can start from behind walls, works against chariots as well.

Against archers you need towers and siege. Obviously chariot archers are just a no-no. Same with Minoan comps 90% of the time. You lose too many priests in those exchanges for it to be worth it. Horse archers can be bad as well but usually with 13 range and towers they are doable, just harder. They key is to have your priests far enough back behind the towers to force the enemy to run under the towers if they want to catch you. Archers vs Towers is a bad day for the archers, especially later on when you get to Ballista Towers. If they don’t want to come to tower range, you bring out the cats and eventually they are forced to(or if they aren’t, your towers are in the wrong place.)

Oh yeah, Babylon walls are great if you’re playing standard victory for that Wonder rush. Had some fun games with that myself. Didn’t think outside of Conquest in that earlier post. But then Shang is arguably even better because you need more food and it gathers slower than stone while also getting the wall HP bonus.

If you like doing catapults, you won’t like Phoenician, they only get stone throwers. Might want to look at Sumerians or Minoans instead. Sumerians have faster firing catapults and Minoans get full tech siege.

From outside of your specified six something that sounds like your cup of tea might be the Romans. They have an amazing Swordsmen line and Full Siege Tech Tree. They’re also super strong with possibly the best bonus in the game with -15% building cost, right up there with Shang cheaper villagers and get fully upgraded Scythe Chariots for those times you for some reason manage to run out of gold(even though you never should with spamming swordsmen.) Not to mention they get fully upgraded Centurions, full naval tech tree, cavalry in bronze and their priests are usable in a time of need. The downside is they only get improved bowmen so archers are a no go. They also lack camels but that’s not such a big deal in DE anymore, it’s still notable. They do miss the last farming upgrade as well but with their cheaper farms your eco is already so good, you don’t really care.
Example strat: Cavalry rush --> Chariots --> Legion --> Siege

BTW. If you are making catapults and no archers, there’s no reason to get ballistics. All it does it make your own army die to your cats against charging chariots. Even without ballistics you’re going to hit everything behind the first few charging units and your army can easily deal with those few leading ones that are left.
It’s a hugely important tech for archers/ballista though so if you’re doing either archers or ballista towers as Babylon you kinda need it.

@KORT99KORT said:
Babylonian is a great defensive civ and if your games are going into ‘building wonders’, then that’s what Baby is built to do. Shang is not into building wonders—they are built to end game in bronze. And Shang is built to have such an economic advantage (a ‘better’ shang player will have 30-50%, or more, villagers, at end of game…you have 40, they had 65. You had 100, they had 150)

Wait is that now or just in original AoE when Shang villagers were even cheaper? :slight_smile: How do you end up with that many villagers? I mean, if you get faster to Bronze and get more Town Centers then I get it, although it still seems too big a difference. But before Bronze Age isn’t it pretty much the same since everyone has 1 TC and the limitation is training time and not the amount of resources, since everyone has enough for constant villager production?

I always preferred Egypt to Babylonian—they are similar-ish, but Egypt get the gold mining bonus and strongest chariots (and the best priests). They are like an offensive-minded Babylonian.

Ah, here’s a thing. Nothing against Egyptians from powergaming or cultural perspective. It’s just that I mained Egyptians in Age of Empires Online (where they looked great and had cool units), and so in AoE DE I like to focus on other units as much as possible, instead of mainly chariots of which I’ve seen plenty :slight_smile: . I do use them when ally needs help on a bigger map, but my favorite Bronze Age units are composite bowmen which look great and synergize well with defensive towers. And yea, they’re even better as Minoan but there are a few reasons I don’t want to play Minoan.

As for priests—yes, too much micromanagement. Even with Egypt’s great range.

Most of the games are played on Fast speed, which makes it even trickier if the unit is moving. Not an issue for a huge target like elephant but still. Egypt’s priest range is something I really loved in AoE Online, and in AoE DE it probably makes Egypt the only civilization that can use priests effectively (outside of very niche situations). I would love to make more use of priests, especially since Babylon has all temple technologies, but one thing I learned from competitive gaming is that when something is strong/OP everyone uses it, and when something is weak/underpowered almost no one uses it. Priests in AoE obviously need a price reduction or something. Even players who have better apm/micromanagement than me don’t use them. The problem is also that chariots are the most used units in the game, and they counter priests. I’ll use a single priest here and there for fun and fear factor, maybe for a bit of healing too. That’s about it.

@JoonasTo said:
BTW. If you are making catapults and no archers, there’s no reason to get ballistics. All it does it make your own army die to your cats against charging chariots. Even without ballistics you’re going to hit everything behind the first few charging units and your army can easily deal with those few leading ones that are left.

It’s extremely important for catapults, the difference I see is huge. With massed catapults nothing can get close with ballistics, not even cavalry. Only if there’s too many of them, which shouldn’t happen in the first place vs just catapults. I can also control the coast much better. Friendly fire hurts, but I don’t see how the lack of ballistics is going to help with that more.

Might want to look at Sumerians or Minoans instead. Sumerians have faster firing catapults and Minoans get full tech siege.

With Sumerians I sacrifice too much for faster-firing catapults. They lack too many things and while I’m no expert they do seem to be in need of a buff because I’m not sure what is it that they do that someone else doesn’t do better.

Minoans have lots of things I like, but two major issues. 1) They were supposedly a matriarchy or something like that, although it’s difficult to say for sure. Babylon, comparably, is about Marduk winning over Tiamat :wink: 2) They’re gold intensive civ that’s pretty much done for when gold runs out. And in games with 5+ players that’s gonna happen now and then. Actually come to think of it, it’s just one major issue, the first one. The thing is, culturally speaking Babylon and Shang have many plus points, and I’m mostly trying to find a balance between playability and enjoyment, meaning that I’m willing to go for a bit weaker option from powergaming perspective if that means I’ll get more fun out of it. Of course, if the choice ends up being too weak to be enjoyable then I switch to something else.

From outside of your specified six something that sounds like your cup of tea might be the Romans.

You’re right but there are few major issues I had with Romans. 1) They’re too popular. Even half of the campaign are about Rome. I get it, but I like more unique/exotic stuff. 2) I like archers, and Composite Bowmen are my favorite unit in Bronze Age. 3) I don’t like their Wonder, and Roman architecture is the worst of all civs in AoE. Other than that, I did like Roman tech tree.

The issue with Ballistics is that they miss any unit engaging with your own unit. When an enemy cavalry runs at your catapult, the catapult is going to fire at the spot where it thinks it’s going to be when the stone lands. This is going to be a miss because the cavalry stops to fight your unit. The stone, however, does not, it’s going to land right in the middle of your army, where the cavalry would have been if it had kept going. Not pleasant. This is going to keep happening for as long as the enemy is in your midst as well.

The other problem is that catapults will always fire at the first thing they see unless told otherwise(and if you have time to tell them fire at something specific, you could just groundfire instead so ballistics is worthless in that case anyway.) The problem is the first enemy they see, is not the one they should hit because of how units move around in Age of Empires. The first unit is almost always the head of a formation, alone. Ballistics help you to hit him, alone. Without ballistics the stones are going to land behind him, where the rest of the formation is, doing more damage.

That’s not to say there aren’t some cases where ballistics for catapults is not preferable. If you’re just attack moving your army of catapults without support units(because the rest of your army died or you left the catapults to take out the base after their army was dead or whatever) and there are some solitary(so single units, not a large formation) cavalry on attack move coming to take out your catapults, ballistics is going to prevent them from doing any damage. Without ballistics you would lose one catapult per one enemy cavalry in such a case. Obviously ballistics is preferable in a game this happens a lot.

Ballistics also enables your enemy to just do zigzag with his army and never get hit while approaching but if he has time to be doing that, you have time to be ground firing with your catapults so we can argue that it is a problem of player skill instead.

Most of the games are played on Fast speed, which makes it even trickier if the unit is moving.
Yeah okay, I might have wasted a page of text then. If you have problems hitting units while they are moving, don’t go priests. It’s doomed to fail horribly xD
BTW. There’s a trick you can do to attack move with priests that might help. Select a single soldier with your group of priests and you can use attack move to get the priests to auto-convert the closest enemy. Of course this means your group of priests are all going to convert the single target and run out of faith so it’s not a suitable trick for massed priests but if you only have a few with your (melee)army, it can come in handy.

How do you end up with that many villagers? I mean, if you get faster to Bronze and get more Town Centers then I get it, although it still seems too big a difference. But before Bronze Age isn’t it pretty much the same since everyone has 1 TC and the limitation is training time and not the amount of resources, since everyone has enough for constant villager production?
You don’t end up with quite that many villagers. You are absolutely correct in that TC work time, not food, is the limiting factor before Bronze Age. So instead you can have a faster bronze(with less villagers obviously) or a larger army. Let’s say basic 26 vil bronze chariot archer spam is your pick. With Shang you need 190 less food for this. That’s a pretty big thing because food is a slow gathering resource. In fact, if we want to translate that into villager time, it’s seven villager minutes of gathering food from perfectly placed berries next to a granary. And you can cash in on this from the start right after your seventh villager is done. Instead of six on berries for constant villager production, you only need five. This means you can gather wood earlier, which in turn means you pit faster and dock faster. So the difference ends up being a bit more pronounced than just that 190 resources, between 200-250 is a fair estimation depending on what you spend that villager time on. This means when you reach bronze you can afford two more chariot archers or an extra town center compared to your enemy. In an even game, that’s a huge difference.

The even bigger difference comes when in bronze and booming. You need six villagers and six farms for every town center to create constant villagers from it. Now with Shang you only need five villagers and five farms. That’s 75 resources and one villager you can use for something else for every town center you are booming from. For example, a basic 3 TC boom, you can afford one more archery range for making composite bowmen non-stop with that and still have some extra left. Or if the enemy has 4 TC boom, you can afford to do 5 TC boom and be (almost)equal on army. That’s little under 25%(22,58% to be exact) higher growth rate(75 more res needed than regular 4 tc boom.) That’s just a biiiiiiiiit insane if you think about it. So in a 250 pop cap game, when you’re at 100 vils shang player will be basically maxed out on his villager population(at 122/125.) Thus outbooming a shang player of equal skill simply does not work. Because of their strong bronze age tech tree, they are also very hard to stop early on. They don’t have any real weaknesses before the ultimate late game but by then they should be so far ahead nothing matters.

Hopefully this cleared up how the Shang advantage plays out on land maps. Naval maps the difference way smaller because it only applies to villagers, not fishing boats. There Minoans enjoy a similar position. Shang also has a mean tool rush but that’s not really a thing in your kind of games.

With Sumerians I sacrifice too much for faster-firing catapults. They lack too many things and while I’m no expert they do seem to be in need of a buff because I’m not sure what is it that they do that someone else doesn’t do better.
Catapults ^^

I see they likely nerfed Phoney’s wood ‘bug’ bonus to work as intended (and also slowed walking speed of Yamato and Assy, so some stronger civs from long ago got toned down a little) so Phoney is less overpowered with wood from 20 years ago
They didn’t fix that from 20 years ago, they fixed that 20 years ago in patch 1.0a/1.0c. Also when they nerfed Shang vils to 40 food from 35 and removed the last of the cheats from multiplayer.

What they did fix for this are all of the market techs though, so you shouldn’t put too much weight on them anymore. Craftmanship, for example is almost useless for only wood gathering now(because tree has 40 wood and is thus spent with 3 trips with Artisanship already.) Were talking increase of 9% total gathering rate(walking included) for 440 resources spent. Which means it’s more efficient to just make more villages to gather wood until you are hitting your max villager population(98 woodcutters if you had infinite popcap.) The same thing with woodworking, it’s only 12% increase but you want it because by then, you only have a single TC and it’s way cheaper(mathematically worth it at 31 woodcutters if you have multiple TCs.) Of course you get them for range anyway if going navy or archers.

Suddenly the Gold and Stone mining techs are the most important techs out of the market if you’re using either resource because they’re cheap and 30% gather rate translates almost perfectly to total gather rate because the pit is right there. Wheel of course still first thing you do if doing chariots or can’t build walls for some reason so you need the villager speed but for economy? Nope., It’s only worth it at around 100 vils because it gives you a total gather rate bonus from 0%(farms) to 7%(woodcutting). Better spend those resources on extra vils until that point. Coinage also got nerfed from 25% extra gold to 10% extra gold so while it’s still important, it’s a bit less of a rush tech than before and doesn’t hurt bronze gold civs quite as hard.

Yeah, Assyrian got nerfed to the ground. The villager speed bonus is negligible(4% faster wood from stragglers at the start, 1-2% faster wood from first pit on) and Hittite archers are just plain better now because they nerfed the extra fire rate to 25% from 40%. The Hittite tech tree is also better(although they got a few nerfs as well, no more Centurion, only 50% extra catapult hitpoint) with the only thing going for Assyrian being full tech priests and yeah, not a trade I’d take for worse everything.

Yamato is still pretty good. Cavalry has gotten way better due to attack move and they buffed the Cataphract pretty heavily. Of course Heavy Horse Archers are not quite as awesome as they were before because melee units have gotten so much better with attack move but they are still very good. A solid choice for any mobile map and still don’t get any siege worth mentioning. Their scout rush was nerfed indirectly by the better pathfinding for villagers though. A couple of scouts do nothing to a bunch of woodies because ten villagers will surround a scout and kill it before any vils die with one click now(yes, upgraded scout.)

@JoonasTo said:
The issue with Ballistics is that they miss any unit engaging with your own unit. When an enemy cavalry runs at your catapult, the catapult is going to fire at the spot where it thinks it’s going to be when the stone lands. This is going to be a miss because the cavalry stops to fight your unit. The stone, however, does not, it’s going to land right in the middle of your army, where the cavalry would have been if it had kept going. Not pleasant. This is going to keep happening for as long as the enemy is in your midst as well.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Some interesting points there. I do have to note that my observations are based on my experience of massing catapults and mostly using just them (not saying this is optimal, but it was fun), and in such a case I needed ballistics because otherwise as you said the first units would reach the catapults.

But if I understood you correctly, are you claiming that in a standard situation where catapults are mixed with plenty of other units, or when catapults are solo but behind walls hitting units trying to get through - that I should avoid getting ballistics unless I need it for other units?

Most of the games are played on Fast speed, which makes it even trickier if the unit is moving.
Yeah okay, I might have wasted a page of text then. If you have problems hitting units while they are moving, don’t go priests. It’s doomed to fail horribly xD

lol you didn’t wast a page of text, I liked reading it. The thing is, I replied to you right after I finished a singleplayer scenario testing Egyptian priests. The enemy mostly had swordsmen which were small and moved faster than an elephant. Obviously not a situation where you’d use priests, but it made me think that these kinds of details are what you can expect in a realistic scenario. It’s the same why I had such success with catapults in multiplayer so far. In singleplayer I have to use attack ground because AI cheats and automatically moves if I directly target a unit with a catapult. But in multiplayer, catapults decimate enemy units, especially archers. It’s just not realistic to expect of non-experts to constantly micromanage their units in Iron Age when you have so many units to deal with. The advantage of catapults is a disadvantage of priests because now I’m the one who has to excel with micromanagement, and every second more used on a priest is a second more I’m not micromanaging a villager or something else. This is the reason I don’t think the priest only has a 125 gold cost. It also has added cost in a way that there might be an idle farmer or an unemployed villager while I’m busy clicking priests. AoE has a centrally planned economy; villagers won’t go seek jobs on their own except right after you build a storage.

BTW. There’s a trick you can do to attack move with priests that might help. Select a single soldier with your group of priests and you can use attack move to get the priests to auto-convert the closest enemy. Of course this means your group of priests are all going to convert the single target and run out of faith so it’s not a suitable trick for massed priests but if you only have a few with your (melee)army, it can come in handy.

That’s cool, and theoretically helpful. I can combine 1 priest with 1 composite bowmen or something like that, times the number of priests. It’s not like I’m aiming at 10 priests anyway. I say theoretically helpful because in practice I assume it will result in a conversion attempt of the foremost enemy unit, which is also the first to die to everyone else (although in case of elephants might still be helpful).

What they did fix for this are all of the market techs though, so you shouldn’t put too much weight on them anymore. Craftmanship, for example is almost useless for only wood gathering now(because tree has 40 wood and is thus spent with 3 trips with Artisanship already.) Were talking increase of 9% total gathering rate(walking included) for 440 resources spent. Which means it’s more efficient to just make more villages to gather wood until you are hitting your max villager population(98 woodcutters if you had infinite popcap.) The same thing with woodworking, it’s only 12% increase but you want it because by then, you only have a single TC and it’s way cheaper(mathematically worth it at 31 woodcutters if you have multiple TCs.) Of course you get them for range anyway if going navy or archers.

Suddenly the Gold and Stone mining techs are the most important techs out of the market if you’re using either resource because they’re cheap and 30% gather rate translates almost perfectly to total gather rate because the pit is right there. Wheel of course still first thing you do if doing chariots or can’t build walls for some reason so you need the villager speed but for economy? Nope., It’s only worth it at around 100 vils because it gives you a total gather rate bonus from 0%(farms) to 7%(woodcutting). Better spend those resources on extra vils until that point. Coinage also got nerfed from 25% extra gold to 10% extra gold so while it’s still important, it’s a bit less of a rush tech than before and doesn’t hurt bronze gold civs quite as hard.

This is interesting stuff that I usually like to go into but rarely have enough time to do myself. In many games there are bonuses that are… deceptive and not nearly as useful as you’d think. I’ve been doing calculations mostly for storage techs, because I wanted to see just how much I lose with Babylonians not having armor upgrades. It turns out that in a Scythe Chariot vs Scythe Chariot wars, Babylonian Scythes are 20% weaker than FU ones. Which is a lot, so the goal has to be to avoid late Iron Age (which I do by focusing on Wonder as I said before). On the other hand, the difference is smaller vs other units that have greater damage. 14,3% difference vs FU Legion, or 10,5% difference vs FU Armored Elephant. The lack of two shield techs really hurts Babylonian Legion though, which is going to take 50% more dmg vs Chariot Archers and 28,5% more vs Horse Archers. That… hurts.

But if I understood you correctly, are you claiming that in a standard situation where catapults are mixed with plenty of other units, or when catapults are solo but behind walls hitting units trying to get through - that I should avoid getting ballistics unless I need it for other units?
At least be aware of how it changes their targeting. If you’re killing elephants, for example, ballistics is still quite good because elephants are slow, there’s very little chance of hitting your own units. If you’re fighting cavalry or horse archers who run at your army and then stop to fight very quickly, the result is just going to be missed shots that might land in the middle of your own units. You’ll get the feel of what is easier for you to manage once you play out more situations in game.

As for walls, I am not sure what you mean exactly. If the enemies are stationary hitting the walls already, having ballistics or not is irrelevant, you’re going to destroy your own wall regardless and should ground fire behind them. If they’re coming to attack your walls, having ballistics isn’t too bad either, I mean, you don’t have an army just next to your walls right? So they’re going to land on empty ground, either behind the enemy or behind your walls. It makes little difference either way.

The advantage of catapults is a disadvantage of priests because now I’m the one who has to excel with micromanagement, and every second more used on a priest is a second more I’m not micromanaging a villager or something else.
This is such a truth that many people don’t realise. Instead of wood, food, gold and stone, what’s much more important in an RTS game is time management. Absolutely priests carry a relatively heavy tax of time required in their usage. This is relatively very high if you’re a slow player and the higher you go in skill, the lesser the cost becomes.

DE messed with this in a couple of ways. In the original game, there was no attack move so you had to right click with your other units as well. Because of that the penalty for priests wasn’t comparatively that high at all. All that you needed to do more, was select priests in small groups/individually. Then again, the original game had around three times the actions required to play a similar game of what can be played in DE so free time was harder to come by in general and even that small extra was costly. In DE, you’ve got so much more free time from managing your production and economy that you can easily spend this time for priests. The thing is, your army doesn’t need so much management anymore because they have attack move so this extra time has become a lot more expensive in comparison to just managing your army.

So in the past, if you were a slow player, they were too expensive in time to use and now if you’re a slow player there are more efficient ways of spending your time. But if you happen to be a fast player, what used to be a very expensive investment back in the original, is now not nearly as bad. Your economy and production basically manage themselves now and armies can just be sent to places from the minimap for raids with attack move. This leaves so much more extra time for you that you can spend on priests, dodging arrows, siege and what not. The required skill for using priests has come down, not because the priests were made easier to use but because everything else was. But there are more important things in the game than priests, like the villagers you mentioned. If you find you need more time to manage economy and production, priests are probably not a thing you want to do often yet.

That’s cool, and theoretically helpful. I can combine 1 priest with 1 composite bowmen or something like that, times the number of priests. It’s not like I’m aiming at 10 priests anyway. I say theoretically helpful because in practice I assume it will result in a conversion attempt of the foremost enemy unit, which is also the first to die to everyone else (although in case of elephants might still be helpful).
This is exactly what happens indeed. You’re also quite likely to have your priests target the same unit even if using different groups because priests have a really long range and thus their vision(which defines targeting on attack move) easily overlap.

The lack of two shield techs really hurts Babylonian Legion though, which is going to take 50% more dmg vs Chariot Archers and 28,5% more vs Horse Archers. That… hurts.
Could be worse. Assyrians don’t get a single shield upgrade for their Legion(they do get armour though.)
But yes, armour is important and shields are especially important for slower melee units because they are going to spend a lot of time taking arrows to the face when trying to close the distance. This is partly why Assyrians are plain worse than Hittites now. Everytime the archer shoots, the shield defense counts. So at lategame 7 damage horse archer does only 4 damage against a fully shielded unit. 5 with alchemy. Now the 25% faster shooting rate might sound great but in reality it’s often equal to Hittite’s 1 extra damage because that one extra damage isn’t affected by shields.

Hi again everyone :slight_smile:

My till-now favorite Babylonians have fallen out of favor since I no longer desire to play FFA (because people cheat there by allying with their friend before the game starts). In my view FFA is Babylonian niche, although 2v2v2(v2) also works (but that’s now being too niche a game mode to pick a civ for).

Meaning… I’m looking into all the civs again, and this time I’m thinking that perhaps I should lower my criteria and pay more attention to playstyle that suits me, rather than a combination of playstyle, RL culture, ingame architecture and tech tree.

That being said, I just had a 3v3 game with a random civ that turned out to be Palmyra. I kinda liked that civ even before because it seemed to be more unique, and also, I rarely play 2v2, and pretty much never 1 on 1. If I understood correctly, Palmyra is weak in this setting. But in 3v3 and 4v4 fights almost always start in Bronze. Now, camel riders are my least favorite unit culture-wise (and aesthetically), and Palmyran civilization is at the bottom also. Play-wise though, I seem to like it every time I try it. I like raiding just as much as defending with Babylonians (if not more), and all-camel rush seems to work really well and it’s fun. The speed is insane and it enables me not only to hit and run, but also to quickly come to the aid of my ally if he gets attacked by chariot archers or something (and good luck running away from Palmyrene camels). Helping allies seems to be really important because so many are bad at protecting themselves in the beginning. No walls, no units, no towers; they just expect to boom until the first sign of trouble but then it’s often too late. Oh and, it seems to me that once I get the economy going, the resources are plenty. My main issue with Palmyra is (unlike a civ with non-military bonuses such as Babylonian or Shang) that I’m gonna end up spamming the same unit (in this case camel riders, so, the worst choice) almost every game. Then again, even with Babylonians I almost always ended with the same units in each age…

@pate623 said:
Palmyra could be for you. Being able to use effectively the speed bonus is hard, but it is a strong bonus. Slingers are strong when/if enemy masses Chariot Archers. Balancing between Slingers and Camel Riders is
then necessary meaning that every game will be different and it won’t start to feel as repeating as most of the other civs.

I don’t understand here why train slingers if I can train camel riders, especially on Gigantic maps. What am I missing?

@JosephC64 said:

@pate623 said:
Palmyra could be for you. Being able to use effectively the speed bonus is hard, but it is a strong bonus. Slingers are strong when/if enemy masses Chariot Archers. Balancing between Slingers and Camel Riders is
then necessary meaning that every game will be different and it won’t start to feel as repeating as most of the other civs.

I don’t understand here why train slingers if I can train camel riders, especially on Gigantic maps. What am I missing?

Slingers are cost vise extremely effective versus Chariot Archers, it has hidden +4 damage towards CA (+2 in original game). With Bronze Shield (and when not playing against Hittite) few Slingers can do massive damage towards unattended Chariot Archers. Slinger needs 12 hit to kill CA and CA needs 25 hits to kill Slinger.
3 Slingers can kill 5 CA if the CA’s aren’t using hit and run tactic.
3 Slingers = 72 seconds and 150 resources.
5 Chariot archers = 200 seconds and 550 resources.

With huge amount of units on the map the path finding seems to get sticky and melee units are often freezing, stopping and not redirecting on the right location.
That is one reason why towards later stages of the game using only camels isn’t good. This is also a bonus for the low range Slingers since hit and run with big masses of Chariot Archer is much harder due to the Chariot archers getting so easily stuck onto each others.

Strongest counter to Camels is foot archers, and having Slingers with the Camels makes it harder for the archer user to kill the camels without getting into fight with the Slingers.

You can think of Palmyran like the mirror of Shang in a lot of ways. It’s not a perfect comparison but it gives you a good enough general picture.

It can be really weak in 1v1, 2v2 because of how much more food you need. If you estimate a roughly average 20 pop tool game, that means you need food for 17 villagers(850) + 500 for tool. You start with 200 so you need 1150. For Palmyran you need 1525 or 375 more. That’s more than one elephant. Palmyran vils work a little faster though, around 10% for wood, stone, gold and 40% for food(yeah, the Palmyran vil gather rates got nerfed from the original game if you were wondering.) So maybe you can pull off aging with 2 less vils at 18 pop(this is a 40 second advantage!) That’s 225 more food, if your start is lucky you might have extra gazelle+bush in your spawn and that’s already enough. What still hurts a lot though is that you need 7 vils on your berries instead of 6 like normal and they run out faster, thus your wood income is later and you need it faster. Unlucky starts are the worst though, spend a little too long looking for your berries at the start and you’re really in a pinch before the game even starts.

24 pop tool(4v4 pocket) -> 27 bronze is 1050(21 vils)+500(tool)+150(3 vils while market+stable/range builds)+800(bronze)-200(start) = 2300 total. For Palmyran that is 2850 or 550 more, assume the 2 less vils for tool and on less for bronze(because the villagers construct buildings 25% faster) and we’re at 325 more, 60 seconds faster. That’s one more elephant + some extra from a lion. Doable but if you’re in an unlucky spawn, you’re screwed again.

When booming you also need one extra farmer per TC. That’s 300(225 food for your expensive vils + 75 wood) extra resources per TC you need to boom. You also don’t get any farm techs beyond the plow which hurts your eco somewhat and is a general annoyance when you have 40+ farms.

Water maps are better because you can boom with fishing ships. Your navy is okay as well. Then there’s the double exchange rate for trade ships which is really good. Granted you rarely run out of gold on island maps but on coastal, inland, continental and other hybrid maps this can be a really big late game advantage.

I find Palmyran bronze pretty interesting since you can make one stable camels at the start and just run around killing villagers like no tomorrow while you transition to chariot archers at home. Then iron into horse archers and eventually armoured elephants. But this is just the way I prefer to play with them, there’s no reason you need to. The Palmyran bronze tree is almost perfect(missing good priests and logistics) so you can do almost anything. Swordsmen without logistics and an iron upgrade are a bronze only solution though. Iron is pretty free as well. You get Phalanx(no aristocracy!), Heavy Cavalry, Ballista, Horse Archers, Catapults, War Elephants. Later on it becomes Heavy Horse Archers(no craftsmanship), Heavy Catapults(no engineering), Armoured Elephants and Scythe Chariots(no metallurgy). No reason to only spam Camels, yes they are really, really good and counter Chariot archers well but you have multiple options to choose from. A couple of example strat without camels:
Cavalry rush -> Chariot Archers -> Horse Archers -> Armoured Elephants
Cavalry rush -> Chariots -> Scythe Chariots -> Siege
Swordsmen -> Composite Bowmen -> Phalanx+Ballista -> Armoured Elephants

Let’s be honest though, if players of equal skill play on a balanced map, the Palmyran is going to lose. So when you do win with them, it was because the skill difference between players or the map favoured you. If the map is good for you though, the results can be pretty brutal. That was 12:50 bronze on a land only map with double stables camel production. 3 camels and a scout IN the enemy base at 15 minutes(vietnam no rush rules, so basically 4v4 pocket gameplay.) That’s really, really hard to deal with but it’s not every game you get to start with 7 berries, close gazelles and a close elephant.

In conclusion, Palmyran is interesting and has plenty of options but it’s an unreliable performer.

This forum has serious issues; posts disappear after edit attempts.

@JoonasTo said:
Let’s be honest though, if players of equal skill play on a balanced map, the Palmyran is going to lose. So when you do win with them, it was because the skill difference between players or the map favoured you.
In conclusion, Palmyran is interesting and has plenty of options but it’s an unreliable performer.

Yea… That’s not exactly what I’m looking for. In that case I’d stick with Babylonians (which I still might but eh) since they’re reliable but have the same problem - if I’m vs someone of equal skill I feel like I’m in a worse position because what useful civ bonus do I exactly have? Tower hp bonus isn’t going to help me vs raiding in the beginning (roman bonus is better at this point because it’s effectively x2 firepower rather than x2 hp). It mostly seems useful to me later with ballistae towers strategically placed for map control. Walls, well, in the beginning any walls seem good enough including building obstacles, and later on catapults can destroy any walls relatively fast so that bonus doesn’t seem as stellar either. 20% faster stone mining… well, it’s stone. And priest bonus is useless because priests are useless. So yeah, with Babylonians I often feel as if I’m playing without any civ bonus at all. I’m tool rushing? All civ bonuses are useless. I walled my base and put few towers there but my 2 or 3 other teammates are not walled and could use help in actual units? Fail. Now, in 2v2v2(v2) I can wall another ally sure but again, that’s niche.

One thing the wall bonus is good for is stopping slingers from breaking through your walls. It takes six slingers(quite normal early game amount to attack someone with) 35 seconds to break a normal small wall and if you try to repair or re wall behind, they will shoot the villager. Doubling that to 70 seconds makes it long enough to not be worth it anymore. But that’s very, very situational.

Double tower hitpoints also makes your towers more useful offensively in the early game because they can out last more slingers but yeah, Roman bonus is way better at that point. Arguably even Choson +2 range is better because your towers cover more of the enemy area and you can leapfrog further with that.

But civilization bonuses are not all there is to a civ. Babylonian tech tree in bronze is perfect, that alone has merit. You aren’t forced to a single path and can respond to threats in multiple different ways, there is also no direct counter civilization. They are one of the most versatile civilizations in the game. So what you have, are options. They do camels? Do swordsmen. They do cavalry? Do camels. They do chariot archers? Do composite bowmen. They do priests? Do chariot archers. They do archers? Do siege. They do siege? Do chariots. You always have a counter.

So they’re not a bad civ by any means. Just not super strong in any area either. I don’t mind that. I always play random and if I end up with Babylonian, I’m content with it. Personally I like playing Persians a lot lately. They don’t get chariots but their tech tree is actually really nice aside from that(and the missing farming techs.)

If you want first tier pick Shang, Roman, Phoenician. Shang is super good all-rounder but not a naval civ. Romans are amazing on all maps but don’t get archers. Phoenicians are a tad lower in bonus strength but they have amazing tech tree, only lacking great siege options. Then there are the one shot superstars like Minoan, Macedonian and Yamato which each do one particular thing very, very well but lack diversity in general. Be prepared to see a lot of people with same civ though if you do go with these.

@JoonasTo said:
One thing the wall bonus is good for is stopping slingers from breaking through your walls. It takes six slingers(quite normal early game amount to attack someone with) 35 seconds to break a normal small wall and if you try to repair or re wall behind, they will shoot the villager. Doubling that to 70 seconds

Just a minor correction, it’s not even double anymore, but 75%.

They do chariot archers? Do composite bowmen.

Just curious but on a Gigantic map, wouldn’t camel riders be better? And in smaller numbers even cavalry? With them I could cover allies as well. Composites beat chariot archers in a fight, but he could raid my allies instead and I won’t be able to do much with slow composites. My main issue lately seems to be that I end up with allies who are not good at protecting themselves, and I end up fighting 1v3 or 2v3.

And yea I do love Babylonian versatility, which is one of the main reasons I initially picked them. They have all the techs in Bronze and earlier.

What is the advantage of Choson over Romans? Looking at civ bonuses and the tech tree the Roman civ seems to be better and I’m not sure exactly what is the niche of the Choson. 1 on 1 even the Roman Legion seems to win, although it can be argued that hp is more useful in Iron Age because units also act as a cannon fodder.

Is Choson just a weaker version of Rome or are they better on some maps / settings or something?

Also, which civ is considered better - Persians or Choson?

@JosephC64 said:
What is the advantage of Choson over Romans? Looking at civ bonuses and the tech tree the Roman civ seems to be better and I’m not sure exactly what is the niche of the Choson. 1 on 1 even the Roman Legion seems to win, although it can be argued that hp is more useful in Iron Age because units also act as a cannon fodder.

Is Choson just a weaker version of Rome or are they better on some maps / settings or something?

The advantages of Choson only become relevant in the late game, so in random maps Romans are usually better, but in death matches Choson is a popular choice.

Choson towers are better in the late game, as Roman tower don’t upgrade beyond sentry tower. Choson priests are better and choson swordsmen are better against siege, as their HP helps getting close to the siege units, while the Roman bonus only helps after you get close.

@JosephC64 said:

Romans are far, far better due to their building cost reduction. One of the best civs out there.

Choson Legion are better since survivability is more important for melee units than damage output but in bronze Roman swordsmen are better.

Romans get chariots, centurions, full navy and full siege. Choson get horse archers, Catapracts, good Ballista Towers and great priests.

Usually Persia is considered weaker due to the missing farm upgrades after Domestication but the early game hunting bonus makes them stronger before Choson swordsmen bonuses really kick in. Even in Iron Persian player has plenty of options to deal with them. So in reality, they’re probably very close in overall strength but if you ask the wider opinion from the player base, they’re going to pick Choson.

Persia has nothing with the power of Choson Legion or Choson Priests but they have plenty more options to choose from: Legion, Heavy Horse Archers, Elephant Archers, Composite Bowmen, Catapracts, Camels, Armoured Elephants, Catapults and Priests. Also better navy.

Choson gets super Legion, Horse Archers, Helepolis, Catapracts and Priests. That’s a lot less options.

@JosephC64 said:

@JoonasTo said:
One thing the wall bonus is good for is stopping slingers from breaking through your walls. It takes six slingers(quite normal early game amount to attack someone with) 35 seconds to break a normal small wall and if you try to repair or re wall behind, they will shoot the villager. Doubling that to 70 seconds

Just a minor correction, it’s not even double anymore, but 75%.

They do chariot archers? Do composite bowmen.

Just curious but on a Gigantic map, wouldn’t camel riders be better? And in smaller numbers even cavalry? With them I could cover allies as well. Composites beat chariot archers in a fight, but he could raid my allies instead and I won’t be able to do much with slow composites. My main issue lately seems to be that I end up with allies who are not good at protecting themselves, and I end up fighting 1v3 or 2v3.

And yea I do love Babylonian versatility, which is one of the main reasons I initially picked them. They have all the techs in Bronze and earlier.

Whether you make composite bowmen highly depends on your position on the map. Unless you are Minoan, going for composite bowmen in a pocket position is almost always a bad idea. You are better off going for chariots/camels/cavalry, depending on civilisation. If you are a wing player, compies are a good idea. The advantage they have over chariot archers:

• Cheaper: It is easier to collect 40f and 20g than it is to collect 40f and 70w.
  • Faster creation time: It is easier to spam compies.

Compies generally outperform chariot archers, especially if you also use slingers (which you always should if your opponent uses chariot archers).

Also, you asked about whether swordsmen are actually useful. And they are. These units are really strong rushing units, even without bonuses. You only need 4 gold miners to support training swordsmen from 3 barracks’. Make sure to make at least 3 barracks really close to your opponents camp. And once you hit bronze age, research wheel and simply spam short swordsmen. Do not upgrade to broad swordsman until later. You can keep them coming so fast that it might be difficult for your opponent to recover. If your opponent manages to make archers in some way, start to make slingers as well. Upgrade stone mining and bronze shield.

This strategy can be used by any civilisation, even those that don’t get broad swordsman such as Egyptian. But this strategy if especially good with Roman or Choson. In later stages of the game, swordsmen are still useful, and their power comes in numbers. With Choson, legions are the number one iron age unit.

Also, this YT channel deals with AoE 1 topics: https://www.youtube.com/c/AOETips.