Civ Concept - Tibetans

What could possibly go wrong with 6/6 P Armor Knights?

BTW Scouts with 2/4 armor are also already quite scary.

And even more stuff that’s situational OP. Every eleveated map will immediately become a Tibetan map. And the Drokpa whilst useless in the early game, can be super effectively used to snowball any lead you get in the midgame.

The main problem is this bonus would feel unreliable, as you don’t always know for sure at which elevation you are.

1 Like

I think the first think that will happen then is an UI mod that exactly shows you the elevation level :smiley:

and people will start luring boars to hills to get the best out of that bonu 11

Probably but I don’t like the idea of having to use a mod to play a civ reliably

3 Likes

Ofc. It’s a very common mistake of a lot of civ “crafters” in general.
They want to give their civs distinct flavour, certain unique bonusses, new mechanics.
But they don’t really think about how it would then play out. But ofc this is also very difficult. And as you see with the civs added from the devs - they who make it professionally - even they basically never get a civ “right” from the start.

And it’s always easier to criticize when you find certain aspects that won’t play out well than when you try to design an entire civ that has to fit in every map and game mode in the game.

2 Likes

I wrote this in an evening, for fun. The responses have been NOT so fun, taking it as seriously as if this was an official civ about to be released. Or dogmatically sitting on a specific interpretation of a piece of writing 1200 years ago, and how it can be extrapolated into a game with limits.

I tried to make this civ with the idea behind it to get it to play a certain way, and to naturally encourage units that were on-theme. I’m sorry it’s not perfect everyone, really. Just learn how to chill and have a bit of fun.

3 Likes

My Tibetans idea -

Infantry & Monk Civilization

Team Bonus
Relics generate 30 wood/min.

Civilization Bonus

• TCs spawn 3 cows on age up.
  • All land military units +1 LOS starting from Feudal Age.
  • Blacksmith and infantry armors are available one age earlier.
  • Get 25 gold for building a Barracks and Monastery.

Unique Technologies

1. Non-siege military units regenerate when near a monastery. (I really liked it)
  2. All infantry +1/+1 armor.

I’m dying to see a monk UU that replaces the generic monk completely. I designed a monk UU quite a long ago, maybe back in 2021, by putting toned down version of all the existing monk bonuses back then. This is what I came up with. For better comparison, I’ll leave generic monk stat and civ specific stat in parenthesis.

Lama
Cost - 85 gold (Generic - 100 gold, Portuguese - 80 gold)
TT - 45 seconds (Generic - 51 seconds, Lithuanians - 42.5 seconds)
HP - 40, 60 (Sanctity not available, Generic - 30, 45, Aztecs - 80, 100)
Armor - 1/1, 2/2 (Generic - 0/0, Bengalis - 3/3)
Range - 9, 12 (Block Printing not available)
Cool Down Time - 55, 30 seconds (Illumination not available, Generic 62 seconds/33 seconds before/after Illumination)
Speed - 0.80 (Fervor not available, Generic - 0.7, Slavs - 0.84)
Elite upgrade cost and time - 400 gold, 100 seconds (Cost of Sanctity+Fervor+Illumination+Block Printing = 555 gold, 230 seconds)

Anti melee Infantry
Cost - Food 50, Gold 25
Training Time - 10 seconds
HP - 55, 65
Attack - 11, 13
+1, +2 vs Building
+1, +2 vs Eagle
+3, +5 vs Infantry
+3, +5 vs Cavalry
Rate of Fire - 2.0
Melee Armor - 3, 4
Pierce Armor - 0
Speed - 1.15
LOS - 5
Upgrade Cost - 900 food, 800 gold

Missing techs and units:
Barracks - Eagles
Archery Range - Arbalesters, Hand Cannon, Parthian Tactics
Stable - Hussar, Paladin, Camel, SL
Siege Workshop - SR, SO, BBC
Blacksmith - Full
Monastery - Sanctity, Fervor, Illumination, Block Printing
Dock - Shipwright, Fast Fire Ship, Heavy Demo Ship, Elite CG
University - Architecture, Treadmill Crane
Castle - Hoardings
Eco - Gold Shaft Mining, Guilds

1 Like

Their monks should still get something unique. Their monks can be upgraded to lamas who have higher HP and slower conversion recovery (trade off). Full tech tree however.

1 Like

Thats a terrible design because it actively punishes you!

Don’t worry, there will always be critics, but fans who like your work, that’s what matters, and there are many people who apparently liked your concept, me included.

The joke of the concepts is to inspire the idea of possible new Civs, as well as inspire you to read more of the history of the civilizations on which it is based. I learned a lot of history by reading concepts and even aspects that I didn’t know about many of these civilizations to explain their possible bonuses.

I always found the idea of a Tibetan civilization interesting when I found out that it was originally the 5th civ intended for AoE 2: Conquerors instead of Koreans, and at the last minute it was changed to Koreans. I always wonder what their unique units and bonuses would have been like. And at least you gave me an idea, thanks.

1 Like

A very cheap and convenient way to cause them to only lose 1 HP when hit by a crossbow bolt.
The Teutons also don’t have Husbandry, but they only can get +1 melee armor as compensation.

Yes, this means that when your base has many places in high ground, your economy is the best of all civs. But when high ground is lacking, there is little to no advantage.

Just like pitting an AoE3 civ against an AoE2 civ, even if the former’s Settlers cost twice as much as the latter’s Villagers, the gathering efficiency and saved building costs can almost pay for themselves in a few minutes.

When the Georgians and Armenians were released, they were generally disappointing, not only because there were no new architectural styles and there were imbalances, but also because they might be considered too far removed from their history.

Your concept definitely doesn’t have to be seriously scrutinized as an official one, but when a civ concept is named after an ethinic group, the discussion of design cannot really be separated from their history and culture. I’m sorry you don’t think the discussion is interesting.

I can say that in addition to some highly situational and possibly risky designs, your post also has some potentially interesting inspirations. A unique unit replacing villager, new try to get rid of drop-off points, an economy that relies more on terrain, and expanding the impact of general tech are all ideas that can inspire other people to make other interesting designs. Your concept is by no means worthless.

If you want to discuss some interesting and novel bonuses and mechanics without being too much bound by history, maybe this topic is suitable for you too. I’ve actually posted more ideas on this topic than I’ve ever posted on my own civ concepts.

While I can see that this may have been inspired by my concept, I still don’t think infantry armor alone is enough. It would be like the Romans but much worse as it requires more cost and time, and ultimately provides less armor point without UTs.

Let the archer armor and cavalry armor also be affected. At least the cavalry armor. That could provide cavalry with the similar effect as the double-effect armor bonus in the original post, but the cost and time required for more will become natural limitations.

Don’t put words into my mouth.

Everything I designed here was based on what I have read on Middle Ages Tibet, while trying to organically push towards certain units.

But when extracting history into a game, there come with a lot of different interpretations. What constitutes “poor archers”? Is it lacking Bracer? Lacking Thumb Ring? Lacking Thumb Ring and Bracer? Is it making them unplayable? Or is it keeping them playable but lowering their damage?

Tibeten soldiers had excellent armour, but their archers are bad. So what I extrapolated from that was that they did use archers often enough (or else how would anyone write about them in a military context?). And when looking up their military, mounted archers came up quite often. So then I asked myself how could that be executed with the limits of a design that feels Tibetan. Extra armour but lower range and damage, that felt on-theme.

Yeah.

True.

If anything it should be the other one. Plate Barding in Castle will be absolutely broken. Even for Bengalis who don’t have Knight, LC with all armor, bloodlines and Husbandry will be almost impossible to kill except for pikeman. Chain Barding in Castle Age is probably okay.

Don’t get me wrong.
I have never said you didn’t do studies on them.
What I try to express is, if you think my discussion is forcing you to “dogmatically sit on a specific interpretation of a piece of writing 1200 years ago, and how it can be extrapolated into a game with limits”, then I can just say sorry. It’s just that I think it’s hard to avoid when I reply with knowledges about the Tibetan history as far as I know.

In my concept, the last armor only provide 1 pierce armor in the Castle Age, so a Crossbowman can cause damage of 2 HP by one shot.

I think that will be okay.

I’ll discard my early armor idea. I have something new in mind.

Infantry & Monk Civilization

Team Bonus
Relics generate 30 wood/min.

Civilization Bonus

• TCs spawn 3 cows on age up.
  • All land military units +1 LOS starting from Feudal Age.
  • Get 50 gold after researching any armor tech (Gambeson and Parthian Tactics included).

Unique Technologies

1. Non-siege military units regenerate at 15HP/min when within 6 tiles radius of a monastery. (I really liked it)
  2. All infantry +1/+1 armor.

Lama (From Monastery)
Cost - 85 gold (Generic - 100 gold, Portuguese - 80 gold)
TT - 45 seconds (Generic - 51 seconds, Lithuanians - 42.5 seconds)
HP - 40, 60 (Sanctity not available, Generic - 30, 45, Aztecs - 80, 100)
Armor - 1/1, 2/2 (Generic - 0/0, Bengalis - 3/3)
Range - 9, 12 (Block Printing not available)
Cool Down Time - 55, 30 seconds (Illumination not available, Generic 62 seconds/33 seconds before/after Illumination)
Speed - 0.80 (Fervor not available, Generic - 0.7, Slavs - 0.84)
Elite upgrade cost and time - 400 gold, 100 seconds (Cost of Sanctity+Fervor+Illumination+Block Printing = 555 gold, 230 seconds)

Anti melee Infantry (From Castle)
Cost - Food 50, Gold 25
Training Time - 10 seconds
HP - 55, 65
Attack - 9, 12
+1, +2 vs Building
+1, +2 vs Eagle
+5, +6 vs Infantry
+5, +6 vs Cavalry
+3, +4 vs Camel
Rate of Fire - 2.0
Melee Armor - 4
Pierce Armor - 0
Speed - 1.15
LOS - 5
Upgrade Cost - 900 food, 800 gold

Missing techs and units:
Barracks - Eagles
Archery Range - Arbalesters
Stable - Bloodlines, Paladin, Camel, SL, BE
Siege Workshop - SO, BBC
Blacksmith - Full
Monastery - Sanctity, Fervor, Illumination, Block Printing
Dock - Shipwright, Fast Fire Ship, Heavy Demo Ship, Elite CG
University - Architecture, Treadmill Crane
Castle - Sapper
Eco - Gold Shaft Mining, Guilds

1 Like

The Bulgarian bonus but even worse?

Eagle + Teutonic Knight? Will it almost replace Barrack units? If so, do we need a UT with +1/+1 armor to all infantry?

1. I had gold in my mind and typed food. Let me correct it.

Can 50/75/100 gold in Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age if you think it is too small.

How so? They have only 1 PA. Used to be 0 in my previous comment but as I removed early armors, I thought 1 PA Is needed. But now I think 0 base PA is better.

Not at all. Spearman is still a trash unit and have their place. I don’t see the UU performing better than Urumi against cavalry. Dravidians Halb has a place. So will Tibetans Halb. And Champion will be better against archer with extra PA and HP.

Teutonnic Knights’ anti melee character but less melee armor in exchange for the eagle speed.

So essentially they are more like a less fancy Urumi?

Too bad PA to be Eagle. Speed is necessary to actually be used as anti-cavalry. Feel like 1.05 will be too slow.

And more useful due to 1 more PA thanks to the UT.

A great civ design but imbalanced in terms of numbers and some effects.

This should be limited to 1 or 2 resource kinds like say mines don’t need a drop-off site or fishermen and berries. All resources not needing dropoff is quite a lot for the mid game.

+4 armor cavalry with bloodlines, husbandry is extremely powerful in castle age. Even if opponent gets bodkin, the tc fire would do just 1 damage per projectile. You could probably do double the effect from forging and iron casting and remove blast furnace giving them plate barding armor. That will be like Burgundians getting cavalier or Lithuanians getting 2 relics, which is fine.

These are interesting, complementary to the civ’s other bonus and UT. Could make them an interesting choice on maps with a lot of elevations.

The base attack should be a bit lower (maybe 6 and 8) considering their ghulam effect and they should get a bonus of +2 or +3 vs infantry. That way they won’t be able to kill foot ranged units too fast. Great unit design, should be a unit with higher gold cost, something like 65 or 70.

I believe this is just elite lancers with +2 attack and +20 hp. Its ok but unnecessary for this civ if you consider their unique unit. Ideally this upgrade could be reserved for a different civ for which the upgrade seems necessary.

Too much. Can’t stop when they build a castle. Should be something like 65.

I understand the concept but this is extremely slow. Should be something like 0.65 or 0.7