Civilisation Tier List?

Hi, i’ve been playing AoE3 for many years now and the Definitive Edition came with several nerfs and buffs.
I wonder which civilisations are the best now??
Who wants to try creating a tier list?

Age 2 rush villagers down with hussars OR fob with barracks age 2 and rush a TC.

Always play otto, india(with fortress) or Russia if you can get a teammate to make musk/cav(to counter their cav)

Until they add a seperate rank for custom games we can’t avoid this meta. It’s dull and has a pretty low skill ceiling but yeah… we can’t play maps which extend the game to the min7 mark atm.

1 Like

Here Aussie Drongo’s current patch video with tier lists inside

2 Likes

Updated Tierlist is out for a while. Worth noting is that China is still bottom tier yet the devs have nerfed China again for some reason. If you keep up with the game you might have noticed that most players agree that China needs buffs. So the only thing to do is keep talking about it. Maybe the devs will realize that they should not nerf a bottom tier civ thats completely absent from 1v1 tournaments and listen to the player’s concerns.

2 Likes

I think these are the best civilizations for each strategy -

Rush - Ottomans. Their rush is very powerful with high hit points and siege damaging musketeers. They also have powerful Abus Guns in age 2 which destroy infantry. Ottomans also get Spahi and Mamelukes in the third age so if your rush fails you can Fast Fortress and get these heavy cavalry.

Fast Fortress - Germans. They have a very bad colonial age with no musketeers so Germans have to fast fortress. When they fast fortress they have a variety of unit shipments that deliver Uhlans for free. You can send Skirmishers, powerful War Wagons, or even mercenaries.

Water Boom - Portugal. Portugal shines in water maps and booming. They have lots of boat shipments, upgrades, and wood shipments so they can train fishing boats. Portugal even has upgrades that enhance their warships making them train faster, cheaper, and stronger.

Land Boom - British. The British have a great land boom because each house they build spawns a settler. With home city shipments that make houses cheaper and build faster British players will always have a large amount of wood, villagers, population, and a strong land economy.

Treaty - Japan. The Japanese can play treaty very effectively because of the villager limit of 75. This may seem like a downside but with Japanese shrines you will never need more villagers and you get more military population. Speaking of military the Japanese have a great military with powerful Ashigaru Musketeers, Naginata Riders, and Flaming Arrows all which have upgrades respectively.

Some honorable mentions are Russia for rushing, Swedes for treaty, Aztecs for water booming, Spain for fast fortress, and Indians for land boom.

3 Likes

japan is not a top tier faction for treaty

5 Likes

I would like to revive this theme.
I create a new updated tier list with civilizations from the DLCs.
Enjoy.

My humble opinion.

1 Like

I’d say the game is pretty balanced right now. There are some outlines, but nothing very OP.

2 Likes

id say this is the treaty rating atm but keep in mind i haven’t played a lot lately so its more based on what i heard/expect esp for the newer factions.

the C tier is a bit too big but i cant be bothered to make an extra tier to differentiate them.

2 Likes

Well, Hausa is better than EthiOPia in late game, because EthiOPia is dependent on mines to gather influence at optimal speed, and these eventually run out (even if you use the Ark tech).
Hausa on the other hand can hide its influence behind the turtle system, and will be able to spam to cool units more often. I’d say Hausa is S tier and Ethiopia is B.

Isn’t USA cowboys post patch the new Hausa Sweden now?

1 Like

that my tier list ( 1v1 sup )

7 Likes

I don’t think Aztecs are ‘A’ now, more like ‘B’ still. They were at the bottom with Russ and now they somehow better but they mainly remain the same.

2 Likes

They surely are A tier, maybe half way into S.
Their new calendar ceremony means they can get their high tech units much sooner than others. Their reliance on trade posts was also diminished, now that you can get more warrior priests early to dance for XP.

The calendar is also very good if you end up in a stalemate with someone in industrial, you can get your imperial age for half the cost fairly easy.

The reason I didn’t put them into S is that their units jaguars and skull knights are still mostly useless, so they relay on ERK and CR / slingers to do the deal.

1 Like

I’ve seen alot of stupid and wrong tier lists but that one has to be the top. If it’s a troll congrats.

In 1v1 it is the closest to reality, at least in the levels between 1800 and 1500 of elo.
If you don’t agree, create your own tier list and we’ll discuss it (?

3 Likes

There’s always a bit of subjectivity in those lists.

1 Like

post your tier list then :smiley:

1 Like

What is this tier list for treaty?! :roll_eyes:

After the recent patch (Inca adjustments) the tier list for treaty has changed:
Team Games Tier List:
Tier S+: USA & Ethiopia
Tier S: Spain (nats) & France (nats) & China & Lakota & Hausa
Tier 1: France (out of nats) & Spain (out of nats) & Sweden (wood booming) & Japan & Inca (Split only)
Tier 2: British & Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) & Germany & Portuguese
Tier 3: Russia & Ottoman & Aztec & Dutch & India

1v1 Games Tier List:
Tier S+: USA & Ethiopia
Tier S: Spain (nats) & France (nats) & China & Lakota & Hausa
Tier 1: France (out of nats) & Spain (out of nats) & Sweden (wood booming) & Japan & Inca (Split only)
Tier 2: British & Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) & Germany & Portuguese
Tier 3: Russia & Ottoman & Aztec & Dutch & India

2 Likes