Civilization Craft: Armenians

Thanks for the encouragement. I do indeed have a very high standard of quality myself, and I’m often disappointed with how things turn out. I’m only one guy, so I can’t always come up with things to the best quality, which is why I post them online. Unfortunately, a lot of people tend to just be needlessly harsh and not necessarily constructive, calling my ideas broken, redundant, or stupid without really explaining why.

What would be the Armenian campaign?

I believe I explained it earlier, but it would be Ashot I, founder of the Bagratid Dynasty.

1 Like

May I share my ideas for Armenians here?
My ideas emphasize their assistance to the Crusaders, which may not be same as what you emphasize.
I think we can inspire each other.

I recommend making your own post to do so.

Call me snotty, but I tend to prefer avoiding other people’s ideas for the same thing so that I can come to my own design independently of others’ influence. But I suppose since my post is already done, you might as well share them.

Accidents are part of the game, we need accidents, that’s the whole beautiful thing about the mechanism of Mangonels.
(And that’s why AOE 4 will never be AOE 2 btw)

Eh, I dunno. I still feel like I should have a bonus for their Mangonels somehow, but I don’t know what it would be.

It’s hard to address this unit, within a single buff you can ruin the status quo in the Castle Age, extra HP, speed or damage would make their Mango’s untradable, unbeatable, there will be no bottleneck situations in a Mangonel push.

Attack speed, discount, training time, minimum range, are already taken.

I’d give them perhaps passively extra melee/pierce armor, it’d help against CA in particularly. (They’ll end up doing 1 damage per arrow to Mango rather than 2)

Maybe movement speed? I get that that’s already included in Drill, but I’m not sure what else to give them.

You can have a passive bonus that does almost exactly as an UT, with some tweaks, it’s Okay.
The problem is what I said before:

Speed bonus cant be given to Mangonels passively, or else with top tier micro they’ll win EVERY single Mango engagement.

With that being said, you can give them 10%/15% speed bonus to Rams/Scorps.

it could be given if it has a downside too. maybe something like ‘faster movement, slower projectile speed’

Tradeoff bonuses like that may be present in SWGB, but not AoE2, so I’d prefer to avoid them if possible.

Hmmm, good idea. I hadn’t thought about that.

i see what you mean. the only examples of that i can think of are economic ones (chinese and huns)

Negative civ bonuses are very rare in AOE II, only Mayans, Khmer and barely any other have them.
I do support that however in rare occasions when you simply cant find other way to balance a civ, like in Britons case (which is a subject for another post).

So when it comes to a new civ I’d rather not do that.
Another option is just do what Devs do, replace the unit with a new unit that’s fills the same role.

This just makes me so sad to read. I don’t think the biggest problem here is the civ design necessarily, it’s how AllergicTable49 is, which is pretty toxic usually, and for someone not used to that, I can definitely see how it would be super discouraging for someone having some early attempts at civ crafting.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. I’ve actually been doing this for a couple years now (or even longer, if you count the ones I did on the wiki), but have only recently started posting them in public forums so people can give feedback. And AllergicTable49 is trying to give me useful feedback, but I was a bit taken aback with their incredibly low score, because I was honestly so proud of this civ, as I felt it was one of the most unique and coherent ones I’ve done.

All this being said, what are your actual thoughts on my civilization idea?

Yup either Ashot the Iron or it could be Levon I/II of Cilician Armenia, both are pretty interesting for a campaign.

Hmm, I haven’t heard of the latter. Obviously, since Ashot I literally founded the Bagratid Dynasty, he seems like the logical choice to me.