Civilization Overview: The United States [Aussie Drongo]

If ages align with real historical periods then culverins and bombards should be available right away (oh isn’t that exactly what you said?)
Seems like you already know why ages are meaningless.

1 Like

I do agree that logistician age ups should be cheaper, but I don’t think it means that USA will be unbalanced if they have different age up options with a new deck mechanic. as a whole, id rather they spice up current age up options to shake up the meta, quarter master and the governor have been way too dominant.

change can be good or bad. if done well it breathes new life into the game and allows for more build/gameplay diversity, which I’m a big fan of.

Only place where the US civ seems to be praised is the reddit page, all other places people are very negative.

2 Likes

It makes absolutely no sense to give Euros a more expensive Age Up that is almost never used because of it, while giving the USA a cheaper Age Up.

They just made the USA do everything better than everyone else.

6 Likes

@AussieDrongoBBQ

Polish and Hungarian Units (from Cards) what languages ​​do they speak ???

Unfortunately I couldn’t hear them in your video: /

People claiming victory because they (believe they) are the majority, while asking others to respect other’s (meaning theirs) opinions and not bullying them by downvoting XD

2 Likes

I want those options in the game as well, but rather than think of it as opportunity lost we can see it as further investment into the game post de launch. look at age2, they went from thinking they had no dlc, to having two in the same year. and we already know that usa wont be the last expansion this year with Africa coming up.

I’m sure we will get Persia and other civs as well. meanwhile ill gladly take a new and potentially free civ with interesting and unique mechanics to wait the time. usa doesn’t mean those other civs wont happen.

2 Likes

I agree that current logistician cost don’t make sense and should be changed, further I’m actually in favor of changing most age 2 politicians to encourage actual build diversity and opportunity cost rather than have two-three dominant options all the time.

that doesn’t mean that usa shouldn’t have different age up mechanics. its fine to have some asymmetry in age up if the package as a whole is balanced and fun, as Native and Asian civs have shown. that 700 food option also has downsides in that it brings little direct benefit compared to say 400 wood, so there is already a trade off. and if it turns out to be unbalanced it can always be nerfed.

rather than fear something new and different I think we should give it a try. its coming out in 2 days, lets see for ourselves if its actually broken rather than guess.

1 Like

A cheaper Age Up, specially one that synergizes with the German Immigranst card, also does not make sense. There are some design choices you just should not make, because they break the game, like Hamiltonian Economics, or Free Arsenal upgrades (because even though they take around 3 times as long, you will still save a lot of resources by just making 3 Arsenals and getting all the upgrades, than if you were paying for them, and that card already gives you an Arsenal Wagon).

2 Likes

Regarding politicians, there is really one thing that needs to be done to old civs: some Native American age-ups give a permanent bonus, and also ALL Asian ones, while most European age-up options only provide some units/resources at one time, and the only one that gives a permanent bonus needs 900 food.
Some bonuses from the Logistician are indeed creative and useful, but it does not make much sense for it to cost 900 food.

I love the Portuguese Logistician, it is the best designed, but no way it is worth 900 Food.

800? Maybe I could justify it, with a 700 Wood shipment following suit.
900? No way, as it will just slow me down, and Ports are already a slow civ (Medicine in Age 3, no Vill shipments).

1 Like

“Packed” cards is indeed a problem since TWC and it has become more exaggerated.
Most earliest cards and techs only gives one or two bonuses to a very limited group of units, or do only one thing.
In the expansions and new civs in DE more and more functions get “packed” into one card: you receive bonus of a building, you receive one of that building as well; or you buff one unit type and also increase the training speed of the unit.

With these new cards added, I think every “advanced XXX” card should come with a “XXX wagon”.

@AussieDrongoBBQ

Your video shows the Polish Card and the Irish Migration Card. Is this a preview of a future European DLC? Poland as a playable civ and Ireland as a revolutionary civ (for the British only).

I wonder what will happen with the current US revolution for other civs. Will it be replaced by other revolutions? Because if not, it will be silly to have a USA civ and the option of a US revolution. Maybe this Irish Immigration Card replaces the US with Ireland for the British?
I wonder what the Swedes would get then. Norway? Some kind of Baltic state e.g. Lithuania??

1 Like

The problem isn’t just the age up options or the cheaper age up
The problem is it stacks with a massive bunch of broken, dumb stuff that they get.
They could easily make a new civ out of each bonus the us has.

2 Likes

It really should.
At this point, it is not even a feature unique to Asian civs.

Also, USA has a card that sends 10 Infantry, and literally upgrades State Militia and Regulars to Veteran for free. Maybe taht should also be a feature for other civs, like Spanish, for example, which struggle due to their good units being mostly Melee.

1 Like

The USA civ in-game feels like a super hero a 12-year-old would invent, with said 12-year-old kid having no concept of character flaws or depth.

5 Likes

This is simply not true. Apart from drongo (which i understand why he said he was excited for the USA civ), i have never seen an embrace or even people asking or rejoicing for this civ. There are a lot of civ requests, most commonly Koreans, Ethiopians, Austrians, Polish and Italians (less common but also relevant, Siam/Malay, Zulu and Morroco), but never USA.

Again this isnt entirely true. Devs created a game, but the game ends up being a cooperative one, since without the community there is no Age of Empires. If the devs make the game independently from the community the game will have no players (just like bethesda did in the begining of Fallout 76)

The dev team has put some work in the balance changes, but the game is far from balanced. China still is generally weak and Japan is OP. From the vids of drongo we can expect murica to be a super duper OP civ. (general being way stronger than WC).

There are several post which are just bad, and the community has been flagging them. I think the age up mechanic is really inovative, but it is also game breaking since USA becomes good at everything with only one deck. This is one of the biggest problems with japan, they are simply too good at everything and they are too versatile. I am not criticizing yet, since the game hasnt been launched, but unless the euro civs are also changed (cards included) the USA will be way more OP than any civ. And that is a bad start for any new civ (which only apears 300years after the begining of the game).

2 Likes

Forget delaware, with Rhode Island you get Medicine and Schooners all in one pack. Why do you have to water boom when you can both water boom AND land boom? (not counting Capitalism and the dutch imigrants)

1 Like

I know. You also get earlier Steamships and free Iron Horse upgrade for Trade Posts, making the Ports House of Bragança card, they introduced in DE, a literal joke.

4 Likes

But the us is on the weaker side, don’t worry :roll_eyes: