Collection for hypothetical "Western Roman" Civs

My second attempt

Infantry and Siege civ

Team Bonus

Militia line +2 LOS

Civ Bonus

• Militia line moves 10% faster starting from Feudal Age.
  • Age advancing don’t cost gold. (Intentionally making them similar to Italians and Byzantines).
  • Siege Workshop and Scorpion available in Feudal Age, Heavy Scorpion Available in Castle Age.
  • Unit upgrades cost 40% less food.

Unique Technologies

• Scorpion and mangonel can hit moving target (450f/300g, 40 sec)
  • Infantry +1/+2 armor (600f/450g, 50 sec)

[UTs can be swapped]

Unique Units

• Legion - Anti-melee Infantry
    Cost : 60f/30g
    HP : 55, 65
    Attack : 6, 8
    Attack Bonus : vs infantry +8,+10 vs Eagle +2,+3 vs Cavalry +8,+10
    ROF : 2.0
    Armor : 3/0
    Speed : 0.9
    LOS : 5
    Upgrade cost : 850f/650g, 45 sec

Tech Tree
Lose Redemption. Rest are same as before.

1 Like

Celts but worse? And I’m this may be for balance reasons but it feels pretty bad to have one bonus be a straight up worse version of another (10% vs 15% and militia only vs all infantry)

Edit: Skimmed the rest of the post for more context. They get squires don’t they.

Yeah, they do. They will have 5.24% faster militia line than Celts.

2 Likes

Attempt three.

Infantry and Siege civ

Team Bonus

Mangonel +2 LOS

Civ Bonus

• TC technologies are 50% cheaper.
  • Infantry armor upgrades are free.
  • Siege Workshop units costs 25% less wood.

Unique Technologies

• Militia line +30HP (350f/250g, 45 sec)
  • Siege Workshop units deal +25% bonus damage (800f/500g, 50 sec)

Unique Unit

• Legion - High attack Infantry
    Cost : 50f/25g
    HP : 55, 65
    Attack : 13, 15
    Attack Bonus : vs Eagle +2,+3 vs building +3,+4
    ROF : 2.0
    Armor : 2/2
    Speed : 1.00
    LOS : 5
    Upgrade cost : 750f/650g, 45 sec

Technology Tree

Barracks

Archery Range

Stable

Siege Workshop

Blacksmith

University

Monastery

Dock

Eco

Castle

Others

Cheaper eco techs is mediocre, if you made them also research faster it would be better. Also the UU seems bad and their siege bonus is meh

Rome shouldn’t have gunpowder…that is, goodbye artillery galleons for them…

1 Like

I think this civ again just misses the “oumph”.

Cheaper TC techs, yeah… We have other civs that get Wheelbarrow and Hand Cart for free.
Infantry Armor upgrades… Ofc nice for a MAA rush. But after that kina meh.

Castle Age Tech to increas HP of the militia line. Who makes that line at that stage?
Also way too expensive for castle age.

Imp UT. Rams extra damage. Sure, why not. But will hardly ever become a decisive factor.

The Legion UU is probably the only thing you kinda can get eceited for. It’s similar to the obuch but trades tankyness for more Attack. Also costs more gold.
With the Poles eco behind I still would prefer the obuch. It’s less squishy and you can spam it longer. WIth a nice backline of archers behind the obuch + arb would most likely even win very decisively agianst legion + arb.
And even obuch sees almost no play these days.

Imo if you would release that roman civ design it would be the worst civ in the game tbh.

I think you can steppe this design like a lot. Be a bit more bold :wink:

How is the Legionary even mildly good? The attack isnt very very high

At least it has some armor. As I asaid it’s basically an obuch but instead of having high HP it has more attack.

It seems like an slower Woad Raider or a midly diferent Berserk. Idk how it is that good

My 2nd Idea:

Romans

Infantry Civilisation

Civ Bonusses

• Militia and Spearman upgrades except Chamion are available one age earlier
  • Barrack units slowly generate Ressources (about 1/50 speed of the Feitoria)
  • Skirmishers deal +50 % Bonus damage
  • Ballistas have double HP and fire 20 % faster
  • Fortified Wall, Treadmil Crane and Architecture are free
  • Galleys cost -15 G

TB

• Masonry is free

UU

• Centurion: Anti-Infantry Cavalry unit. Good against the Militia line and most infantry UUs. Still somewhat countered by

UTs

• ####### Tactics: All foot units get +2 / +1 Pierce Armor (Cost about 300 F, 300 G)
  • Colonialization: Ressources in Range of Castles give a slow tribute to the Roman Treasury (without depleting) (Cost depending on effect.

Tech Tree

• Blacksmith: All Melee attack upgrades, all Archer attack upgrades, full Infantry Armor, no Plate Barding, No Ring Archer Armor
  • Barracks: All techs
  • Archery range: Archer line up to Arbalester, Elite Skirm, Thumb Ring, no Cav Archers, no Ele Archers, no HC
  • Stable: No Bloodlines, Husbandry, no Hussars, no Cavalier, no Elite SL, no Eles
  • Siege Workshop: Everything but BBC
  • Castle: Everything
  • Monastery: Everything except Heresy
  • Dock: No elite fire galley, no heavy demo, no Cannon Galleon
  • University: Everything but Bombard Tower
  • Market: Everything
  • Economy Techs: All but Crop Rotation

[Placeholder for the Centurion design]

Edit: #### stands for
Man
iple

I don’t like cheaper+faster bonus for same civ.

Why? The UU has 2 PA. It won’t die to archers that easily. I agree that siege is not that strong.

We have Vikings with CG. Since they will probably have an unique ship too (Dromon), they should have good naval tech tree regardless of how historically inaccurate it is.

But that civ has a generic Dark Age.

Obuch is broken. Not every UU needs to be broken.

Celts but worse.

Is it? I rarely see obuch these days ;=

Your civ literally only saves 25 G in dark age with loom.

Well if you skip the double HP part… but that’s an important one :wink:

It’s still kinda easily killed by xbows. It’s like with the Teutonic Knights.
But yeah it’s at least not worse than the militia line.

Cheaper town center techs on itself is a ver y very weak eco bonus, since the biggest problem with town center techs is the research time.

I also think theres no reason to not put those two things togheter, particularly inTown center techs.

Its expensive, its uninteresting and its still just not that good. Its comparable to a Samurai I think, but without anything mildly unique. Their militia line is better

I still think that they shouldn’t have gunpowder, at least they would have to have a galleon and that’s all…the dromon would be the successor to the liburnian from AoEO and predecessor of the galley from AoE 2 and the roman galleon would be the successor to the enneris from AoEO…

Imperial UT for militia line will be too niche imo.

Changed it to all SW units.

Inspiration was Shotel. Similar cost and attack. Trading some speed for more toughness (HP+Armor). Surprised no one found the similarity.

Lowered the cost.

Just my personal taste.

Gave them discounted siege which can be used for eco.

I disagree. They will probably be bottom 5, but not worse than Bengalis, Koreans, and Malay in Arabia. Anyway changed some of their bonuses. Siege workshop units now cost less wood instead of regeneration. Imp UT now gives all siege workshop units bonus damage instead of rams. Legion cost decreased by 5f/5g. Also thinking about adding SO to the tech tree.

I want them to be a proper naval civ. Without CG, they can’t be one.

And isn’t there a unit similar to the CG that doesn’t use gunpowder??..they could make a galleon with an onager like in the realms mod…

Eh they have less attack.

Thats not enough, a unique unit should be unique. I can imagine some infantry civ get a champion with practicaly identical stats to your Legionary.

Increase dramaticaly the bonus vs buildings so at least it has somewhat mildly unique.

Cheaper siege ismt an eco bonus. Siege is a support unit, and not nearluy as important as skirms or spears either.

At best this makes Romans a mediocre Hoang rush civ.

And cheaper TC techs just sucks on itself, and honestly I think it only makes sense with faster researched TC techs. Theres no reason to do this beyond you not liking it

Which one? Dravidians?

I can add another bonus tbh. Only 3 civ bonuses feel very low nowadays.

No I mean hypotheticaly. I coukd totally imagine a civ getting +1/1 armour and +1 attack on their champion, at which point you may just have an easier to mass legionary. Their militia is much better too

You may as well replace the cheaper TC techs with how weak it is lol, but yeah they need something good