Compatibility for Apple and Linux?

Myself and my friends are all really excited about the remastered game, however a lot of us don’t own windows computers. (I only have a MacBook Pro myself) Is it possible that the release will also include compatibility for Apple and Linux?

I too would love this, but it seems very unlikely

+1, I’m big fan of AoE 2 and want to see DE on macOS, because I have no Win PC.

You are not the only one… same goes for me. I do have bootcamp installed on my old macbook that i use for some games but i do love the idea not having to switch around for this. But it will probably be an hassle to make it work for its Metal (2) software stack

It doesn’t look like it’s likely to support Linux or Mac at launch, or anytime soon (if at all).

It will be available for purchase from the Windows Store and I don’t think that is available on Linux.

(EDIT: A quick internet search brought up this: https://superuser.com/questions/502203/is-there-a-way-to-run-windows-8-apps-on-linux. They didn’t seem to think there was a way to run Windows Store Apps using WINE, sorry. They do suggest running Windows on a Virtual machine, but that would require purchasing Windows 10.)

If it wasn’t for that, you might have been able to get it up and running using WINE (A program that allows you to run Windows programs on Linux), but as I said, I’m not sure if you can get the Windows store and Xbox App (if the latter is required) running using WINE.

It looks like you may be out of luck, though I can’t speak for Microsoft.

Be good if it was compatible with all platforms now can only benefit Microsoft more in doing so, but also the way around a mac would be to use boot camp and run it on windows on the mac pc/laptop

You can just use a virtual machine.

Would love to see the game on macOS. :slight_smile:

@Gascogne said:
Would love to see the game on macOS. :slight_smile:

Could you say me why you disagree with me?? I gave you a solution! The game is not going to be released on macOS for several reasons…

Lol. No. Even is exclusive for Win10.

Use a VM or Bootcamp - the game is a Win10, WinStore exclusive. No Linux, no Mac.

You could setup Wine, Wine is a compatibility layer which is capable of running Windows applications in systems like Linux. I’ve run Blizzard games in Linux using Wine. Works very well.

Official Linux and macOS support is not going to happen. The original game never supported any platform other than Windows.
Age of Mythology supported Mac, but its expansion did not. AoM:EE on Steam is Windows only.
Age of Empires III supported Mac fully, but the Steam re-release is Windows only.
With two games that were on Mac not being supported on Mac any longer, there’s no way in the hells that a game that never existed on Mac before will be now.

As for unofficially running it, I don’t think the chances are good. I’ve never tried it myself, but people have told me that Windows Store applications are encrypted in such a way that WINE support is impossible. The good news is that Bootcamp is super easy to install and use. Plus, this game is so old that I reckon even with the new updated graphics, you’ve probably got a decent chance of being able to run it fairly well under a virtual machine.

@ZagorathAus said:
Official Linux and macOS support is not going to happen. The original game never supported any platform other than Windows.
Age of Mythology supported Mac, but its expansion did not. AoM:EE on Steam is Windows only.
Age of Empires III supported Mac fully, but the Steam re-release is Windows only.
With two games that were on Mac not being supported on Mac any longer, there’s no way in the hells that a game that never existed on Mac before will be now.

As for unofficially running it, I don’t think the chances are good. I’ve never tried it myself, but people have told me that Windows Store applications are encrypted in such a way that WINE support is impossible. The good news is that Bootcamp is super easy to install and use. Plus, this game is so old that I reckon even with the new updated graphics, you’ve probably got a decent chance of being able to run it fairly well under a virtual machine.

The original game was released for Mac OS X. :slight_smile:

@Camsy34 said:
Myself and my friends are all really excited about the remastered game, however a lot of us don’t own windows computers. (I only have a MacBook Pro myself) Is it possible that the release will also include compatibility for Apple and Linux?

It is going to support only Windows 10, you can use a virtual machine and you do not have to pay for Windows.

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

The original game came out in 1997. macOS (then known as Mac OS X) came out in 2001. I’ll admit, I was surprised to see that Age 1 did come out for Mac. So thanks for letting me know that. But I cannot find any evidence that it supported OS X. Instead, it was supported on classic MacOS, which is a completely different operating system, not the UNIX-based system that modern Macs run. (It’s also completely pre-Intel switch, which would be enough work on its own even without the fundamental kernel changes.)

@ZagorathAus said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

The original game came out in 1997. macOS (then known as Mac OS X) came out in 2001. I’ll admit, I was surprised to see that Age 1 did come out for Mac. So thanks for letting me know that. But I cannot find any evidence that it supported OS X. Instead, it was supported on classic MacOS, which is a completely different operating system, not the UNIX-based system that modern Macs run. (It’s also completely pre-Intel switch, which would be enough work on its own even without the fundamental kernel changes.)

Yep I know that, nowadays it is only supported through wine :slight_smile: the first mac was released on 1998 :slight_smile: :slight_smile: