Content Editor - Pre-cached Red Box Visual Error, how to fix it?

While modding with Content Editor, when I add some weapons or unit visuals to 2-3 civilization from other civilizations thy work with no visual red box error. However, when I try to add other civilization I get Pre-cached Red Box Visual Error then other civilizations are affected too which the working weapon etc visuals become as Pre-cached Red Box Visual Error.

I am really confused why is this happening that affected my whole mod that I am at a point cannot start a new project; but when I open a fresh project in Content Editor to check if I get that Pre-cached Red Box Visual Error again, and yes even with a new project that Pre-cached Red Box Visual Error still continous.

What I don’t understand is that, how it worked well and then it stopped working to get this Pre-cached Red Box Visual Error.

Anyone knows how to fix this Pre-cached Red Box Visual Error? thank you very much.

1 Like

In the .rdo file near the bottom of droplists is a precached items row. Adding problem entities there solved the issue for me.

2 Likes

If it is possible would you show me with a picture guidance?

I opened my “mod.rdo” file but I couldn’t see that “droplist section” you mentioned to find the precached items row by Adding problem entities there

If it is possible would you show me with a picture guidance?

I opened my “mod.rdo” file but I couldn’t see that “droplist section” you mentioned to find the precached items row by Adding problem entities there

sorry i meant to elaborate, the specific-to-your-mod .rdo file

Summary

file>new…>

precache list > click the |…|

give it same name as ur mod xml file
save

2 Likes

Thank you very much @CorpCodfish.

We will save this file named as “mod.rdo” for the precachelist inside of the “attrib” folder (Civilization_Core_Units_Changes\assets\attrib), right? I just want to be sure.

Untitled5

I still get this precache red box visual error. I don’t know where I am doing wrong.

You’re almost there! Happy to be working this out with you =)
couple things I can think of:
in the ebps cloned version of the unit
in extentions>types>race_types add the civs you’d like to use the unit with;

right-click race_type_list>+add…;

clone the same units in the sbps (if you haven’t yet) adjust any values of sections with the same name as sections from ebps but that start with squad_ that you’ve changed, to reflect the changes made in the ebps;

in the cloned version find the squad_type extension>squad_race_type_list> rightclick +add… same civs;

save all and in the precache list look for the entity starting with your mods guid (a string of numbers and letters) similar to;
those are your cloned versions. add them to the list.

precache any squads with same name as entities as well;

save the precache rdo file with the same name as the .xml in the attrib folder;
build and test it out! (and share if that worked or not :wink: )

2 Likes

I have followed the steps you mentioned

sbps and ebps versions too but I still get this visual red box :frowning: I tried to add elephants to Ottoman Civilization.

I am trying to add these in my Tuning Mod. I really don’t understand why it is not working on my mod.

When I try to add any tents from English or Russian or Chinese, I cannot build these buildings too which it gives this visual red box again.

Kiev Walls are not appearing when you try to add them at Russian or any civilization. There are many problems like this. Please solve this Pre-cached Red Box visual error, thank you very much.

Please AOE4 developers, would you solve these problems in Content Editor as soon as possible please? We want to create really cool mods with lots of new features.

1 Like

Must admit I’ve come here for a similar issue. Momento is the one who’s helped me so far with getting custom buildings into the UI menu. But my houses are now red boxes, cannot find that pre cache drop-down in my .rdo, really struggling with this

2 Likes

To use a visual model from a different civilization without any errors at your current civilization, while in the gameplay, both civilizations should be in the same gameplay. However, there is no other alternative for an absolute error fix for this problem unless AOE4 developers made your civilizations to be compatible with other civilization dataset as default where we cannot access to that section in the Content Editor.

For example, I want to use Dane Tent or Military Tent visual models but right now because of the reasons I explained before in my previous comments, I cannot add tent model visuals to any civilizations right now, even I open a fresh project file in Content Editor.

It is like +6 months already without any reply or solution from AOE4 developers to fix this problem. It is same for Mongol AI not working in my mod after the new patch… Thy change something at every new patch; but they don’t add any fix at Content Editor counterpart…

2 Likes

Same issue, I’m writing a mod that let Mongols build palisade, it’s using Chinese palisade ebps, while there is a Chinese in game, everything works fine, but if there is no Chinese, every palisade looks like a red box.

2 Likes