I can confirm this is indeed an issue on PC as well…
These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.
GAME BUILD #: Version 101.102.15522.0 (#81058)
GAME PLATFORM: Steam
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
The classic / legacy behavior for using the Shift key along with Control Groups is no longer functional after this update. My settings remain the same as before the patch.
What happens is that when you assign a Control Group to a set of units (say cavalry, we’ll assign # 6) and also to another set of units (say archers, we’ll assign # 7), then you cannot select both groups with the Shift key. So if I hold “6” + “Shift” + “7” it will still only show cavalry (group # 6) selected and act as if you didn’t press any other keys. Before the patch using Shift would allow you to simply select both groups together and then issue a command etc. (and I just confirmed this definite change of behavior with the help of my other computer in offline mode and so without Update 81058 applied yet, but with the exact same settings and hotkeys; prior to update = normal Shift key behavior).
Please note that I am NOT looking to have “Shift Group Appending” behavior where it automatically merges AND reassigns one Control Group number, but rather the legacy feature of adding to your current unit selection with their respective Control Group number assignments still intact.
Selection Modifier Hotkeys = ON
Shift Group Appending = OFF
Troubleshooting already done:
- I verified the integrity of game files via Steam.
- I went into each of the in-game settings tabs and selected “Reset to defaults” and confirmed.
- I then added and selected a new hotkey profile, and under the Reset to Default section I selected “Classic Hotkeys” and then chose “Reset All”. (My custom “Group Commands” hotkeys were all based on the Classic Hotkey defaults anyway, with very few changes to that which mostly related to control group #20 hotkey preferences).
- I also made sure all mods were off and restarted the game.
My tests since the update have consistently continued to reveal the same problem with control group and shift key behavior.
Additional observations made during testing:
- As mentioned before, the Shift key acts as if you did nothing when you try to select two assigned control groups, example: cavalry (control group #1) and archers (control group #2)… if you press “1” + “Shift” + “2” it will simply keep units from control group # 1 selected and do nothing more. The only exception to this is if I turn on “Shift Group Appending”, which does still allow you to select both groups in this way BUT will also forcibly assign them the same number.
- I did notice that buildings are doing the same thing as units, example: say I have two Barracks and I assign them each as control group 3 and 4, if I press “3” + “Shift” + “4” then it will only select the Barracks assigned number 3 and nothing more (Shift Group Appending is still an exception here too though).
- I also noticed that I can use “Shift” + “,(comma)” and it will still successfully select all military units, so at least that is normal.
- Otherwise I can only get two or more groups to be selected at the same time by holding Shift and then manually clicking on the actual units on the screen, so if both groups are not in your view at the time then that becomes a real pain to try to chase down and select / double-click the other group or building to simply issue a command.
FREQUENCY OF ISSUE
How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!
100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)
List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!
Use a hotkey profile with the “Classic Hotkeys default” set and then test this behavior with and without Update 81058 applied. Assign units and buildings different control group numbers and then try to select those numbers (groups) together using the keyboard and the Shift key. Also note the differences between the legacy behavior and newer appending behavior by toggling “Shift Group Appending” on and off.
What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
The legacy Shift key behavior described above that has been in place for over twenty years.