Could AOE-4 span other ages like AOE-2 DE is doing with the 'RETURN OF ROME' DLC?

I offer those examples to advocate that any new era stand in its own and not be incorporated into aoe4.

1 Like

Remember when you said you wanted to move past the whole way I read your posts because I felt that youā€™re unnecessarily antagonistic and donā€™t contribute to discussions? And I agreed, and we had a civil conversation?

That lasted long, eh?

I donā€™t want to ban anything. I just want constructive discussions that arenā€™t repeats of the same things posted a hundred times before. I want to hear what people want for the game. You can put whatever words into my mouth you want though, thatā€™s cool.

What do hotkeys have with incorporating new eras into the game?

You could say ā€œthe polish in Age IV isnā€™t at a level I expect to do other eras justiceā€, and, fair enough, but you got really specific with your wants and needs, there.

And this is tricky, because the devs have to balance the wants and needs of everyone. The veterans, the newcomers, the casual players, the competitive players. Not just a particular demographic. Thatā€™s not a winning audience to design a game for. And you can rationalise the popularity of IV however you want, but it is popular. And thatā€™s how games live and die in this economy.

Which leads us back to wanting to make this game better (which drove the OP to make their suggestion, after all). We might both agree that other eras donā€™t fit in IV, but we donā€™t agree for the same reasons. Our motivations here are completely different. In conflict, even.

Oh, I see. Iā€™m sorry for the confusion. I was responding to this:

As I understand it, OperaticShip was suggesting that rather than MS one day releasing a new game, the content of a new game could simply be added to AoE4.

I strongly disagree with that, and in explaining why, I was waving my hand at a few top selections from my list of grievances with aoe4.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

I personally want Age IV to be built on (considerably), but donā€™t feel that new eras are required for that.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think pointing at a person with ā€œyouā€™ll not be satisfied even if the problem is solvedā€ when he raises the problem is good for a constructive discussion.

It is a VERY bad manner in a discussion that essentially aims for solving the problem, especially when you are advocating a constructive discussion.
But I know what youā€™re trying to express with that. You know too.

BTW donā€™t attribute everything to grievances when you happen to be intentionally undermining not-so-positive discussions about the game many times.

1 Like

Same. The more content, the more they will experiment, and the more they will start resembling earlier games/borrowing from them. I heard that the Malians borrow a feature from AoEOā€™s Romans, which would obviously be amazing for me if true.

Is there a Malian unit that has a ranged attack and melee attack, and who generally does one ranged attack before closing in to fight melee?

no it can not
RoR in aoe2 are possible thx to similarity aoe1 and aoe2
for aoe4 - itā€™s literally DLC with A LOT civs.

No, it can not.

game did not change for 20 years. (almost)
new civ == new life
saturated for new player - yes, saturated for an AOE2 player - No)

1 Like

For sure! I havenā€™t played AoE2 in years, but I am stoked to see it continue to grow.

Of course a new game would be ideal. My idea arose when I saw the tweet of the new AOE-2 DLC. I had already heard something about that, but nothing official so far. So it reminded me of the AOE-4 trailer from 2017 where the game went through all the eras. Many people speculated that the game could be set after the AOE-3 era with tanks, planes, etc. Others speculated that it would be set back in an era before AOE-3, and indeed it was. But there was a small group that considered the possibility of covering all eras, and in my opinion it is not a bad idea.

Of course such a game would be too complex and ambitious to carry out reasonably, but it is not unreasonable to think about it.

Thatā€™s exactly why I made this forum. The AOE-4 engine is capable of many things that other AOE engines canā€™t, so a future game wouldnā€™t need a new engine (or would it?).

The fact that AOE-4 is as it is today is not due to technical limitations, but to its design philosophy.

We know that AOE-1 and 2 use the same graphics engine, and we know that AOE-M, AOE-3, and AOE-O also use the same graphics engine. Now, imagine that these games are merged and that in the menu you can choose which one to play, each one in appearance and design very different from each other. It would be crazy, but it seems natural to me to talk about these things XD.

2 Likes

I disagree with your opinion.
I love AOE1,2 because they did a great job when it comes to UI, Gaia, and ranged projectiles.
AOE4 lacks all these essential things.
Arrows always hit, it is homing! In the medieval game for godā€™s sake! It is just too much.
It lacks the variety of animals, and UI is completely lackluster, without any decent icons, images, etc.
This is what AOE1,AOE2 AOE3 players wanted the most and would agree on all of them.

Agree!
20 characters! xD

Then feel free to check it out again :slight_smile: I guess youā€™d like the DLC civs as they borrow some of AoE 3ā€™s mechanics.

As for the topic: Return of Rome will basically bring AoE 1 into AoE 2, most likely as a separate game mode/dataset, so Iā€™m not quite sure how well this would translate to AoE 4.

3 Likes

I dont think soā€¦So who knows

AoM:2 on aoe4 engine could be glorious if they figure how make more than 2 huntables animals.

1 Like

Yeah, who could know, but what exactly? XD

Yes, first they do campaigns and historical battles for the civs that do not have them (Abbasids, Delhi, Ottomans and Malies), then focus on the early Middle Ages (476-1066) (AoE 4 currently goes from 1066 to 1552) and there we just see where the game is goingā€¦

In my case, because it was my first RTSā€¦

And Cossacks 3?, the only thing that came out half loose xdā€¦

I play it during the events, in fact yesterday I finished the campaign of Jan Zizka and today I start the one of Devapala xdā€¦

Yes, how sad when I saw that I was returning to the Middle Agesā€¦I already imagined a CoH throughout the twentieth century, no way, to wait for AoE 5 just ā€¦

The Donso is their spearman replacement.

It throws itā€™s first spear and then runs in and fights in melee with itā€™s other spear.

Both spears do bonus damage to cavalry. Itā€™s nice though against other melee units too since it can throw a spear and then maybe kite away until the cooldown is up.

This is what I mean by integrating one game within another. For example AOE-1 will basically carry over to AOE-2 and will now be able to have formations and gates. So assuming another game (in this case AOE-3) moves to AOE-4, this is what we might see:

Of course a totally new game would be better, but expanding the game in a certain way could also be considered almost a new game.