Could TAA be causing the fuzzy graphics?

It should. The mod simply makes the game not apply TAA at all.

1 Like

I turned my sharpness to full on the control panel, and the graphics seem fine (non-blurry). Is this just a personal preference? I can’t really notice a difference

like this looks perfect to me

You’re very zoomed in there, it’s when zoomed out that it’s hard to identify units.

1 Like

They don’t look that blurry when I zoom out either, I’ll get a screenshot later

You’re right, that doesn’t look too bad! It doesn’t look like the furthest you can zoom out, though. Check out the screenshots I posted earlier in this thread. The two in a match were taken from the furthest zoom the game allows, so there you can see the sharpening effect nicely. Whatever your settings are in your screenshot, however, that looks perfectly playable in terms of sharpness.

This is the furthest zoom level, should I just screenshot the whole screen for you?

Sure, you can. Are you supersampling at more than 100%? Also, what resolution are you playing on?

SS is 100% (idk what increasing it does other than reduce my frames)
Res is 1080x1920

Could i do anything in control panel to make graphics better?

Thanks for the screenshots. The last one (the gameplay screenshot) looks like the sharpening is off. Is this correct, or is it actually on? I don’t think there is much you can do in the control panel to improve the graphics much apart from the sharpening option. There are a few features, like FXAA or MFAA that seem not to be applied to the game when you switch them on, so I don’t know which of the features will actually do something in the case of AoE3DE. Supersampling is supposed to increase the resolution, thereby reducing aliasing too, but I could not make out any difference between 100% and 200% supersampling on my 1366 x 768 monitor. I don’t know what the effect could be on larger resolutions.

sharpening is definitely on, i cannot see a lack of it

Oh, right, yes. I just saw the screenshot of the settings shows two different parts of the control panel. Maybe it’s just you foliage that’s set to medium that looks funny to me. Anyhow, I don’t think you can improve the image much more with the settings currently available.

the foliage kills my frames idk why :rofl:
It’s hard to check resource usage cause it drops to 15 frames when i check task manager

To illustrate what I mean, I’ve just compared II vs III, just running up the art of war early eco in both games. I fully zoomed out in III, and then set the zoom in II to make the town centre occupy the same percentage of the screen width. I ran both games at 4k, with enhanced graphics in II. I resampled the images down to 1080p so they weren’t crazily big for posting here, and cropped 800x400 pixels out of each image. To me, there is just no comparison, the units are hugely clearer in II:

FWIW, in II, at 4k with enhanced graphics, I had to set the zoom to 70% to make the TC occupy the same percentage of the screen as it did when fully zoomed out in III, i.e. you can zoom out quite a bit farther in II than you can in III.

I also, personally, dislike the perspective in III, which causes you to be looking down on units more, and would like an option to turn off perspective, as is commonly offered in CAD software, for example.

I should add, the above image from III is with the mod to disable TAA.

I just played about with the some of the graphics settings in III, and the situation seems to be greatly improved by lowering some of the quality settings, though it looks worse in other ways. Another thing I really dislike about the graphics in III is the burnt out highlights, it’s like a photograph taken with too high an exposure.

1 Like

I dont really know, but i guess your mod maked the game runs with better performance, i just tested once. Thank you.

2 Likes

just to clear out a thing, taa is blurry and works by dispersing pixels around the edges. FXAA blurs the borders and smaa is even sharper than FXAA. Saying taa/smaa is completely wrong and fxaa is not better than taa.