Countu's new civ suggestions (Swiss, Finno-Ugrians and Frisians)

Pretty sure Burgundians were closer to the mountains than the sea. I know they had land all over the place but didn’t think they ever fielded a navy.

I think the Finno-Ugric should just be renamed to Suomi. They were/are the most important branch of the Finno part (Ugric is covered by Huns and Magyars), and the Esthonians would be grouped with the Finns. This creates enough difference between them and the Balts who are represented under the Lithuanians.

https://www.wilcuma.org.uk/who-are-the-anglo-saxons/the-frisians/

I found that to be a good source for the Frisians.

Well, they werent a very good choice as I said. I can live with them anyway

1 Like

What else can you do anyway :confused: If the next one after Dawn of the Dukes add yet some irrelevant European Duchies, I’m sorry, but I’m not going to support that.

1 Like

Made some edits to the civs, Reislaufer have bonus against standard buildings, Swiss Guard tech buffed, Brothel renamed to Bierhaus, Finno-Ugrics renamed to Suomi, Forest Finns only effect Sõdalane, militia get +1 range, Protestant Reformation now grants gold for every 30 seconds played, Replaced farm techs being free with having fishing ships not having to drop off, and made it so one warship can garrison in a dock to heal, Trade cogs have 1 armor.

Tbh they are a better choice than a civ like Bulgarians that I constantly complain about

But thats not a high bar

1 Like

The Mordvins, Mari, Chudes and Permians were more relevant, they at least played a huge role in the conflicts of the Volga Bulgars, Novgorod and Muscovy. The Suomi were still a bunch of scattered iron age tribes while the volga finns had already established duchies and city states.

To be honest, at least Bulgaria had something you could call an Empire, Burgundy does at best qualify as Kingdom which could resist against its more powerful neighbours.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the civ boni etc. but I would without regret exchange them against Tibetans or Kanem Bornu with roughly the same civ boni.

3 Likes

Fair point. They were far more longlasting and had a larger territory but at the same time, they donw serve any purpose in the game that couldnt have been done with Slavs (gameplaywise and representation wise)

The only thing they represent that cannot be done with Slavs is the Volga Bulgars and those were just Turkic peoples dominating Slavs.

2 Likes

Why guessing if you can watch the map: Burgundian State - Wikipedia
Whole Netherlands were part of Burgundy state. Netherlands separate in late 16th century which is Early Modern Period, not Middle Ages.
And my main complaint is: Frissians are ethnic group, not a state. And they don’t have any corresponding state in Middle Ages.

1 Like

Just like Indians can represent all Indian civs “gameplay wise and representation wise”. I dont think you comprehend that the “Slavs” isn’t one kingdom or tribe.

1 Like

Completely agree that there’s no point in adding more of the same. And if we’re completely honest, I think the community would be really happy with just new graphics too.

It’s still a shame that the Viking/Byzantines/Inca have such an unfitting architecture set. And I wonder why Malian/Ethiopian villagers are still white.

2 Likes

Tbh I rather have new Ethiopian architecture/giving them middle eastern architecture over black villagers. Having Ethiopian with a western african mosque is kind of ridiculous

2 Likes

Another Kamayuk

Why?

Another incan thing. Two inca bonuses in the same civ.

too strong for a team bonus imo, also practically another way to get more castles a-la inca.

So your first civ is hipster inca

Way too strong. Like, not even close to being balance-able. As in, if you gave it two instead, it’d still be too good. One extra boar would already be an insane eco bonus.

it’s a boring design for the leitis and it remains a boring design on another unit. The “true damage” fad in games is just that, a fad, and people should get over it. making damage ignore armor means you are removing opponent counterplay to damage, and removing counterplay stagnates play.

aside from that, the third civ actually looks as if it’s got something interesting to bring to the table.

actually too good, because fishing doesn’t require an investment like farming does. use a fishing ship to scout an entire coastline, find a cozy spot on the map, and start fishing. get attacked, scout another coastline until you lose them, fish again.

it’d work if you limited the bonus to fish traps, then it’d have a similar functionality to khmer with farms, and then it’s fine, because fleeing the trap means losing the resources.

seems weird to have alongside a fishing oriented bonus, should probably leave it elsewhere and instead give a different camp a garrison space.

1 Like

So just call them the Finns… you completely missed the point.

3 Likes

you said to call the finno-ugrics “suomi”, which doesn’t make sense. Also the Huns don’t cover Ugrians, they’re two completely different cultural and linguistic groups.

1 Like

If you look into the history of the Ugrians, they stem from two brothers Magyor and Hunyor… I’m sure you can figure it out from there…

As for the Finns, Suomi is the name for the largest group (current day Finnish). There is a marked difference between Ugrians and Finns, so call them what you want. They are Finns, and call themselves Suomi. Volga Finns may have been called something else but they are still Finns…

Finns is a term everybody can understand and has more name recognission.

2 Likes