Crash Age of Empres II DE after few minutes Windows 11

Ciao age2 users,

after playing for months without problems with AoE2 in Windows 11, yesterday I started to have crashes after few minutes of playing.

I already updated the system and the drivers, changed the graphics settings and deactivated the antivirus but still I have the same issue.

What else can i try to fix it?

Thanks.

Valerio

1 Like

Hi @MagicAgenda7959, Try the troubleshooting steps linked below. If you’re still having issues, please submit a support request.

The game crashes shortly after it launches or when trying to start a game. – Age of Empires Support

I already did everything, I also asked the support but their reply doens’t help for the moment.
I am very disappointed of that, hope to solve soon.
How can I ask for reimbursement?

i am having the same issues. i went through everything i could possibly think of and feel like im giving my laptop aids by some of the crazy things people are having me do to get it to work. any further info on this new update that ruined everything?

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t have any news and I’m still not able to play.
I’m very very disappointed, I bought the game about 1 month ago and I used for few days only…
Really don’t know what to do…

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. My config is a Core I7 11th gen., 16 GB Ram, on a Dell Latitude, with Windows 11 Pro. I played several months without any problem and now, since one or two weeks, I can start a game, but after 10-20 minutes, it slows down and then finally crashes. I reinstalled the game, even without graphic pack, but the issue remains.

Regards,
Walter

1 Like

Could you tell me what’s your GPU?
There are some issues with the latest drivers from Intel Iris graphic cards.

Hi, I have:

• GPU Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
  • WIndows 11 (updated to 22H2)
  • 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
  • RAM 16,0 GB

Thanks for the help

1 Like

Try to rollback the drivers from your GPU to a version previous than 30.xxx.xxx :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion, going back to driver 30.0.101.1994 helped! I managed to run without crashes and the memory looks stable during the game. So there is a bug in new drivers 31.x.xxx

1 Like

I have the same issue, AOE II DE Crashes 5 - 10 minutes after starting a new custom game or multiplayer game (only 2 game modes i have tried).

If i restart and load the save the game will crash 5 - 10 mins in again.

My PC specs are i7 10700K, 32Gb DDR4 3200 Ram, RTX 3070 so system specs should not be to blame. I am running windows 11 (the crashing started not long after updating…) and all drivers are updated to the latest version.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game on my boot drive and verified all game files. I am playing on Steam.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are many people having crashes after the last update.
Thanks for the report.

I have the same problem after the last update of the game, it is impossible to play. Sometimes crashes at startup, sometimes when the match starts sometimes at a random moment. Computer specifications: intel core i7-12700KF, RTX 3090, 32GB ddr5. What I’ve already tried: rolled back the drivers, reinstalled the game, played without mods, started the game in windows 7 compatibility mode. Nothing helps.
AoE2DESteam-75350-2023.02.28-19.42.55.mdmp (543.2 KB)
AoE2DESteam-75350-2023.02.28-19.21.26.mdmp (561.7 KB)
AoE2DESteam-75350-2023.03.02-17.57.52.mdmp (554.1 KB)
AoE2DESteam-75350-2023.02.28-20.25.41.mdmp (577.8 KB)

Do you have any overlay enabled? Discord, Nvidia…

Yes, there is an nvidia overlay. I forgot to mention, I tried to roll back the game to the last patch using the steam beta key, the game worked fine, but I would like to play multiplayer

Can you try disabling the Nvidia overlay?

I was able to play 2 games without a crash, it was impossible before, most likely it helped, thanks, if something happens, I will write in the same topic

I am having the same issue. I used to play AOE2 definitive edition without problem before on windows 10 but on updating to window 11, I can play the game for 10 mins, it get very laggy and suddenly crashes to desktop in a couple of mins.
this is my config:
11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz 1.80 GHz
16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
Windows 11 Pro
22H2
Kindly help. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game twice. Ran in safe mode and also don’t have any third party antivirus.

Cna you try disabling Steam, Discord and Nvidia overlays?

Exactly the same… worked good for a few months was able to play complete games… now it crashes ever time I advance to Imperial Age (or after a few minutes). My computer is Windows 11. I’ve written a hundred messages to Steam and AOE and even requested a refund… I’m giving up on Steam Products and AOE… I liked the game (when it works)… too bad they don’t care enough about us to fix their issues.