Crashes When Switching Between September_PUP And Live Build

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.53347.0 7314341
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

These might be two separate issues related to the same problem. I believe what’s happening is that when switching from the September_PUP build to the Live build, some files behind the scenes aren’t getting reverted, and Steam’s “Verify integrity of game files” process can’t detect the difference. This is causing a crash in two situations that I experienced.

Situation 1: I have a custom scenario that I use to experiment with different units. This scenario was created a long time ago, and I also used it (i.e. Menu → Test when in the editor) in the PUP build; which caused an autosave to occur at some point. After switching back to the Live build, this scenario no longer loads and displays this error when trying to load it, even though there were no terrain modifications made.

Switching back to the PUP build, I am able to load and use the scenario like normal. In retrospect, I’m not particularly surprised that it no longer works in the Live build, but the error might be relevant in the next situation.

Situation 2: After switching back to the Live build, I attempted to play a 4v4 Black Forest multiplayer game. About 2 minutes after the game started, AoE2 crashed to the desktop with no error message. I verified the integrity of the game files (Steam → AoE2 → Local Files → Verify) but it didn’t detect any files that needed to be redownloaded. From the replay, the game interpreted the crash as me resigning.
Multiplayer Game / Replays: Match analysis of AUTOMATCH - AoE2 Insights
I have been able to play single-player games in the Live build since reverting from the PUP; albeit I didn’t try it on a Black Forest map.

Thus, it appears that when switching from a PUP build back to a Live build, there are files that don’t get properly updated.

Preview Version: 101.101.54057.0 7391300
Live Build: 101.101.53347.0 7314341

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

100% for the custom scenario. I only tried 1 multiplayer game.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

See Issue Experienced section, but basically:

1. Download, launch, and possibly play a game for a minute in the September PUP build. For the scenario editor issue, load a scenario created in the Live build, Save it, then exit.
  2. In Steam, switch back to the Live build.
  3. Launch AoE2 and attempt to load the custom scenario or play a multiplayer game, such as a Black Forest Random Map game.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

Game shouldn’t crash.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

Multiplayer game from an ally’s perspective: https://aoe.ms/replay/?gameId=118809190&profileId=6067127