Cuman Mercenaries Buff

IMO they should just give Cumans Bracer. If that makes Kipchaks too strong then remove 1 range from the unit, but at least their cav archers, castles, Skirmishers and navy would get full range. This is exactly how the Chinese are set up, with the Chu Ko Nu having one less range than Crossbow/Arbalest, and they still get bracer.

That would make the castle age kipchak very short-ranged 

But i agree that the civ could get usable cavalry archers !

Cumans with Bracer means their Heavy cavalry archer would be too strong because they will have all attack, range and speed bonus.

They should be fully upgraded with ~5% speed. It wouldn’t be any better than Magyar, Turk or Tatar Cav Archers (full upgrades with unique bonuses). Cav Archers have significant frame delay, and reduced range hurts them far more than a little speed.

I don’t think faster FullyUpgraded HCavArchers would be too strong, compared to mongols/huns/berbers/turcs/tatars/magyars options.

But if the dev choose to give bracers to cumans, they will have to take something else for balance (typically blast furnace or paladins), which most players would probably be very unhappy with

Remember Cumans also have Full Stable except heavy camel and Full infantry tech except supplier. FU E.skirms and HCA on top of that would be too much. They have better economy than the civs you mentioned by 2TC Feudal boom potential in TG and closed map.

Honestly, Cumans absolutely don’t need buff in late game or TG (even in early game after recent buff.). If Cuman mercenary need change, I would prefer complete rework. If kipchaks can be trained more than 10 for allies, it would be tough to balance for other good HCA civs which can make better kipchaks than Cumans (Magyars, Tatars, Turks).

But Cuman have better infantry and better stable than civs you mentioned.

Exactly, cumans are not designed to play as Cav archer civ. They have FU paladin and usable infantry, one of the best eco in closed map or TG pocket with 2TC boom. Give them FU cav archer would make them too similar to other "“nomadic” civ. Leave them as they are. Also, Cuman mercenary don’t need buff. Cumans are already strong in TG.

1 Like

I agree with pretty much everything you said:

• Cumans don’t need bracers. So if we had to give them bracerd, we should remove something very big and people wouldnt be satisfied. So just keave them without bracers. They are already super strong late game and last buff made them very strong early game. They don’t need any buff
  • Kipchaks are no condotieri or genitours: they are very strong in all cases. If we allow allies to produce as many kipchaks as they want, it’s like cumans giving a strong imperial option to all flank teamates.
  • Just having to “pay” gold to the cuman ally is just a weird gimmick as players exchange gold without loss in imperial.

I don’t know what identity cumans are supposed to have (tech tree wise), as long as it is balanced i am fine. I just do not want to rework a civ only for the sake if reworking it

1 Like

You’re right about it being a nerf to their range in castle age. I think that’s ok tbh. Gives a reason to go to imperial and unlock their full potential. I would be hesitant to give Cumans a pure buff anyway.

I also don’t think that 1 extra range would be a problem. A base range of 4 without bracer is pathetic. That’s worse range than Spanish/Bulgarian foot Archers or Persian trash crossbows (both have 7 range). If they had bracer and got 4+3 = 7 range in Imp that would be fine (compare to FU arbalests or Magyar Cav Archers, which both have 8 range). They still wouldn’t even be able to outrange Mangonels lacking Siege Engineers, much less Onagers.

Either way, there’s no reason to keep their buildings and other ranged units weak just to keep the UU in check.

How about taking away chemistry for bracer? I get it’s unusual, but same goes for Bohemians who are the only non meso civ that lack cavalry archer

2 Likes

That’s smart. Would be very unique since AFAIK every civ gets chemistry. Cumans already lack every gunpowder unit, so the only impact is -1 attack, which would be added back with bracer. Extends their range without adding more attack. Great idea.

Edit: I just realized swapping chemistry for bracer technically reduces their onager and scorpion damage by 1, but I still think it’s an acceptable trade for adding range to archers, buildings and ships.

another idea is to make cuman mercenaries give +1 range for cavalry archers in addition of the current effect.

4 Likes

Basically the old and mediocre effect of FE era Recurve Bow

1 Like

Were talking about the cuman mercenaries which is a ok buff compared to huns atheism

It would be cool if you could replace your fallen Kipchaks at normal cost, up to the 10 limit.

1 Like

I suggested that months ago and got destroyed by the fellow forum users disliking the idea.

Currently I don’t thing any buff for cumans are necessary since the cheaper building buff went a bit overboard.