Current State of Papal Guard Age Up feb21 - Balance/bugs

Hi guys posting this on ESOC and on official forums, this relates to the papal guard age up politician to age 4.

Papal Guard Overview

• Age 4 politician 2000f 1200 c
  • affects availability of guard and imperial upgrades for bow/pike units
  • reduces cost of other guard hand infantry units
  • vet techs remain unaffected and have to be researched at normal price
  • If a guard tech is free it still needs to be researched.

French:
No Papal: Vet bow/pike only
Papal: Unlocks guard and imperial bow/pike upgrades. Guard bow/pike is free. Guard halbs are 300w/300c

Ger:
Papal: Unlocks guard and imperial bow/pike upgrades. Guard bow/pike is free. Guard dops are 300w/300c

Spain:
No Papal: Vet bow only. pike and rods both have royal guard and imperial techs at usual prices
Papal: Unlocks guard and imperial bow upgrades. Guard bow is free. Royal guard pike is 300w/300c. Royal guard Rods cost unchanged
Question: shouldn’t the royal guard rodelero upgrade cost 300w/300c now?

Port:
Papal: Unlocks guard and imperial bow/pike upgrades. Royal Guard bow costs 300w/300c. Guard pike is free. Guard Halbs are 300w/300c

Sweden:
No Papal: Vet bow only. Pike have both royal guard and imperial techs at usual price.
Papal: Vet bow only. Royal guard pike is Free instead of 300w 300c.
Question: I guess devs completely forgot about this when implementing bows and didn’t fully test. Shouldn’t the papal guard unlock guard and imp xbows, set guard xbow to be free and reduce royal guard pike cost to 300w/300c for consistency reason

I_HaRRiiSoN_I

2 Likes

I don’t understand why it reduces cost to other hand infantry units, this was never mentioned in the original DE changelist. Personally I think this is bad and should be reverted.

Seems like they just forgot about Swedish papal upgrading crossbows, I imagine this is easy to fix.

Hmm it was added in the 2nd last update i think. so its intentional but definitely not needed, considering how strong that age up already is.