Custom Maps Do Not Download for Others in Lobby

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: v 100.12.24632.0
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
When hosting a game and selecting a custom map (located in either local OR subscribed mods folder) others will not be prompted to load the map. Because of this, the game will either not start or players will get a file failed to transfer error.

Its important to note that I am talking about custom maps and NOT scenarios.

Additionally, the only other players who successfully load in are those who downloaded the custom map pack from public mods and have the file themselves.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Host a casual game
  2. Select “custom maps” under the map types
  3. Select a custom map of your choosing that you have downloaded
  4. Have others join the lobby and ready up
  5. The game will either not start and give other players who do not have the map downloaded (everyone else) a file transfer failed error or the game starts and no one but you are there.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
Players would either be prompted to download the custom map OR the custom map would automatically download after readying up (not sure what the devs intended). And the game would progress as normal.

3 Likes

I already reported this, is so annoying they still not fix it. I miss playing custom maps with friends.

So far it’s still an “ongoing investigation”.

3 Likes

Very sad, I learned how to do random map scripting and made a map all to find out it basically cant be used in multiplayer.

This bug discourages the people who want to make custom content to further grow the community and game.

2 Likes

Without the other people you want to play with going and downloading the files in the mod section of the game?

1 Like

Im sorry im fairly new to making maps/modding. I have my maps published in the mods section of the game with the maps held in a randmaps folder. When I host a game I would like it so that other random players can join without having to go to the mods section of the game to download it. I would like it to download in the lobby for them. However, the bug that I am reporting is that they cannot download the files in the lobby for some reason. Are you talking about doing something different?

If so could you point me in the direction of something where I can learn to do this? Ive been searching a lot to make this work.

2 Likes

While you are right, i still think the end solution has to be that you can download the game when joining the game and even having maps, without subscribing to a mod. It was that way in the original game and it is that way in aoe 2 so I dont see why that shouldnt be possible here. That would spreach around custom maps way faster

2 Likes

The average player never visits the mods area to download a mod. So if you want to play a mod with the average player you should be able to prompt them to download it in lobby without having to verbally tell them to go download it in the mods area. I am pretty sure the developers intended the download in the lobby to work but it is bugged (hence the file transfer error).

Yeah for sure, but this post is about a bug thats happening with the lobby file transfer

The thing is the classic version of the game supported Random Maps to be shared in the lobby, without the need of making 7 players download a mod.

1 Like