Decaying Corpses and Skeletons

Don’t want to take away from the OP’s focus but there have also been multiple threads since beta complaining about the maximum scroll speed being only half of voobly/HD and there have been no dev replies at all.
It would be great to get feedback from devs on whether they intend to continue ignoring these issues, as they haven’t put them on the list of tracked issues after all these months…

5 Likes

Hey, sorry me. I agree with you, hope devs adress this ASAP!! Didn’t wanted to get you upset. :weary:

2 Likes

Decaying corpses should be implemented in game, so we could enjoy terrifying battlefields :relaxed:
Current corpse sinking is really lame and makes corpses basically invisible after few seconds

9 Likes

It’s fine, I wasn’t upset, just dissapointed, after all we all want a complete game. I’m glad you clarified :slight_smile:

And I thought blood pack for Total Wars is the worst, as it seems, the worst thing there is, is silence, complete ingorance of player’s voices. It doesn’t reflect well on the company.

Yeah, it’s being kinda frustrating so far to get on a loved game with a troubled launch, and reach up to this forum and see the many complaits the community have with little to none feedback.

I made a topic some days ago to discuss exactly about that, and as much as @Neros1700 kindly came out to clarify the limitations on adressing the whirlwind of demands this forums have and what’s being done by the team, I still think that the public relations adopted so far to reach this community isn’t being sufficient.

It’s tricky for me to answer things like this directly because Wicked Witch is mostly working on engine stuff where as generally the content and balance is done by Forgotten Empires.

I brought this issue up before but everyone is currently focused on more pressing issues.

It should at least be possible to do a graphics mod that shows skeletons instead of the current sinking effect without needing to make a dataset mod, you would only need to change the dataset to change the corpse linger duration.

9 Likes

Would I be able to make a mod that doubles scroll speed, my guess is it should be easy?

I am also quite annoyed they removed this.

I remember the old days playing Vs multiple opponents, with just a single path of entry towards my city. To protect myself the entry was guarded by around 100-150 archers, 30 pikemen and some catapults. Still remember the rush after about 1 hour. Corpses everywhere. Felt like the movie 500!

I don’t see why some people might find some corpse decay offensive… The middle ages wasn’t a pieceful time, and guess what…they didn’t have a cleaning crew to magically hide their corpses.

For the faint hearted, it’s should be easy for MS to make this setting optional. :wink:

9 Likes

I was looking into the same thing. Came up with something as a placeholder for now for corpses. Edited the Blood.DDS file so the blood splats that appear for deaths now come with a static image of the aoe2 HD skeletons. Then increased the duration of the blood splats to make it last much longer. Used single images so the splat stays fresh. Lots of issues with it for now.

Only testing so only one static skeleton is shown and I haven’t applied it each splat so only some generate it. Can’t use the stages of decay using this current method(I’m not good at modding and SMX files are beyond my understanding). Also the blood splats seem to be shared among all units in the game and re scaled when bigger units(elephants) and smaller creatures(deer) die. So the skeleton model gets turned into giants and shrink half size depending on what unit type dies. Since all units use the same blood splats, every creature deer, boar, elephants, horses, etc. generate the same static human skeleton.

Maybe someone who is interested and willing can improve this method or perhaps find an entirely better one.

6 Likes

I pretty much made a mod (have not published yet), that freezes corpses at 60% visibility (40% decay animation) (this can be adjusted), so they remain visible for 5 ingame minutes (this time can’t be changed without data modding).
This is not a data mod, so works for everything without affecting other players - campaigns, standard game, multiplayer.

With Crimson Blood mod (my favorite!), you get sights like this:

9 Likes

What a carnage!!!

2 Likes

Awesome! When can we expect this mod to be downloadable? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m planning to create something … suitable once we can edit smx files properly :slight_smile:
Provided I can find time to do so.

6 Likes

Can you tell me what entry in data file muste be edited for bodies not sinking in the ground?
I would really like to add it in an mod i created but can’t find the right entry.

Soon :slight_smile:

How? If you want to implement natural decaying to skeletons, then you need to modify decay frames for all non-siege units. Each unit generally has 400 - 900 decay frames (in 16 angles). This is incredible amount of work.
Maybe generating skeletons linked to blood would be doable, but even then they would need to be generated properly for all 16 angles. And it would not look nearly as natural as AOC/HD decay animations.

I don’t know, because I didn’t edit data file. I guess, that you need to edit frame display times for unit decay animations, so that frames are displayed longer.

It would definitely be quite some work and things are still a bit uncertain until we can properly edit smx files. Nevertheless, there are ways to automate and speed up things. Once we have the necessary tools available, we’ll see what’s possible and what’s not.

3 Likes

Any updates on the Corpse Decay mod? Desperate to use it. Without Corpse Decay the game is a lot less fun, somehow. :smiley:

1 Like

But you must choose it in the Data set when planning to play the game using Longer Decay mod

I have already finished it some time ago, but am waiting with publishing after issue with my account gets resolved :slight_smile: Also it doesn’t add natural decay, but instead prevents corpses fully sinking into the ground.

I was talking about a mod, which I have not yet published and which is indeed not a data mod. Longer Corpse Decay is a different mod, that is a data mod.

1 Like

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarification man. Can’t wait for that mod.

What I didn’t understand about it though, is that will they have skeletons too?