Denmark-Norway (Danes) as a faction

the food from the herdables and the settler wagons is the reason for the reduction in settlers.

50 cows (easy to acheive in team games) would give 25 food a second, that’s 3 factories of food.

cavalry similar to the hussars and haqubuisers where used by Denmark throughout the periode, on top of this Denmark used dragoons (fun fact modern combat regiments are called dragoons)

as for the cavalry i proposed i wanted something like this:

alternatively just using hussars with guard upgrade “livegarden til hest”

here is an article in Danish, the first picture is of such a lifeguard from the Napoleonic war.

not more than other places, but they where used. idea for me is to give them a purpose esp since landsoldat wont be good at defending other units from cavalry. with them costing gold (so no wood issues), doing 6 times dmg and with healthy upgrades (from church and from more generic upgrades likely to be available from HC) would make them competitive enough to think about buying.

balance, also caravel is not something Denmark particularly used much off, lineships like galleons and frigates are more common.

probably age 3

i could imagine a barracks infantry HP card and maybe a landsoldat/pike dmg card. so 35% buff in total + the extra multiplier and any arsenal upgrades.

3 Likes

Heavy Infantry Combat for Age 3, for example.
Both Pikemen and Musketeers are Heavy Infantry (so are Musketeer variants).

1 Like

i was more thinking of the kings livguard of horse being the template unit maybe with some more visible armor akind to what you see on the French currissairs.

perhaps but Germany can get 23 if they want to, and obviously the Danish player would have to pay for the wagons. not to mention that unlike Germany Denmark cant get 145 pop eco (obviously mostly relevant for treaty but still).

i think kalmar was a part of sweden at the time, i am fully up for some other name tho, i just dont think cool names was a thing in danish military at this time tho, seems easier finding intereting regiments in the 1700 and 1800s.

2 Likes

I don’t think you should reduce the pop cap because of a church card upgrade. Fair point about the cows though.

Won’t you just have 2 lifeguards then? The grenadiers and the Hussars?

Many special units and guard units in this game don’t have very exciting names once you translate them. For example the Dutch Ruyter, Ruyter is just old dutch for Horseman. Giving a unit a Danish name makes it seem outlandish and special to those who don’t speak Danish.

3 Likes

Yes, but it needs a recognizable name, like the other units.
French already took Cuirassier, and Livguard is already a Swedes card (Svea Livgarde).

Rytterre, while not perfect, would at least be an easy name for a new unit.

2 Likes

i suppose that is fair, sure it wont just be a little too close to Ruyter’s from Dutch tho?

could make the grenadiers maybe just a tad strong if we assume they already get 3 cards in share with the melee cavalry unit, since they also are heavy infantry. not that grenadiers are super OP or anything.

2 Likes

i suppose, the card could also just be isolated entirely from the church card and replaced by something else in there.

for me tho i see DN eco being reliant on using a lot of cards to upgrade, and to balance this their actual eco pop is a little lower than normal.

2 Likes

Maybe, but it is the best I could come up with.

Maybe they miss Grenade Launcher.
I also find that your Landsoldat concept has one issue: 10% Range Resistance would actually make them better than other Musketeers, at fighting Ranged units, so perhaps they should still cost the same, even if they are not as good vs Hand Cavalry, because they would actually beat other Musks in a Ranged fight.

1 Like

its melee resist, probably should have made the stats more obvious but “MR”= melee resist.

3 Likes

Well, that makes more sense.

Good. Maybe I would join “more nautical nation” camp because naval overpower was dominant for Danes to defend their lands. So I support caravel changes. They would be good in maritime rushes :slight_smile:

Note: Yes, Danes were powerful during 30 Yrs War until they entered the war. Mansfeld defeated at Dessau, Christian defeated at Wolfenbüttel and final blow came at Lutter. Danish collapsed and that opened door to Sweden to enter to war :wink: So I would make somehow Danes more maritime civ.

(British were maritime superpower while at the same time they had very capable land army)

1 Like

In fact they suited AOE3 more than Sweden, but our developers gave up on bringing them up because they couldn’t give up on the cool Carols.

1 Like

Together with the Swedes, they should add the Sabaton soundtrack :metal: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sweden was a great power during the aoe3 timeline and Denmark were not, i guess that’s why Sweden was included over Denmark but i think the Danes would be a cool addition since they were more prominent in the colonial aspect.

3 Likes

I don’t see what this would essentially add to the game besides a unique minutemen model, additional revolution options to Swedes and a canoe-like boat option to a European civ.

Mechanically there’s nothing new. From the point of game play there’s nothing new. TBH. It seems you got a little too carried in this idea of adding another northern country without adding any reason to include it.

The idea of minutemen not losing hp over time is something I have often hoped for. It would be a great addition to a new civ that would already have a unique mechanic bringing something new to the game.

the economy, useful pikes, different musketeers and emphasis on upgrades that improve the multiplier rather than base stats is what is new here.

and i think it is quiet a lot, compared to most European factions.

3 Likes

Those changes seem to throw off the balance more that it does to the actual game play. A casual like me wouldn’t be competent to talk much about the game balance but it’s how this seems to me.

the units are worse as multiroleing but are slightly better at their intended role.

if we take the RG skirmisher then it will do about 118 dmg vs heavy infantry, that’s slightly worse than cassadors for a comparison, it might actually have to be a little stronger (say +.75 bonus), which would get them to 127 dmg.

these are imperial all upgrades calculated.

it is enough to make them unique and more situational without throwing all balance out of the window.

by design as I’ve made the faction, it has elements from:

british, japanese, portugese, chinese, russia and french.

they might superficially look close to ports in some areas, but the eco is entirely different and the unit composition you’d end up making would be nothing like we got currently. i expect D-N to actually WANT to build pikemen in numbers, something no other faction wants to do, why? because the landsoldat simply would not be able to adequately protect other units against cavalry AND because the pikemen are much better at it than usual pikemen.

2 Likes

Calculation order, the next European civilization may not have Musketeers

so recently there has been a few screenshoots of what is expected to be new units, including this one:

now some speculated that it might be an Italian cavalry, but i think it looks a lot more like a Danish dragoon

the helmet, looks very similar IMO and the jacket also matches quiet well, the leggings dont quiet fit but perhaps this is something to do with the age they are in.

examples can be found here:

and here:

obviously i might be totally wrong here, and this could easily be any other nations dragoons: but 1 thing is certain, it is a dragoon.

now that raises the question of what their special feature would be if they are indeed a dragoon type (which the gun indicates), obviously it has to do something special to warrant being its own unit over just a guard unit. so here are my ideas:

a typical dragoon with much better melee stats than usual.

say that it has the same range stats, maybe a bit more hp and a lot more melee dmg while costing a bit more (idk 120 food and 100 gold?). think of them like a harqubusier but with better range stats and being a standard line unit rather than a mercenary.

3 Likes