Design a Calvary archer unit

The best idea is to actually give it to the Bulgarians. They lack Crossbowmen upgrade so any cavalry archer whicj dies basically turns into the regular archer.

It also fits them thematically coming from the Steppe Region and also fits their cavalry army and top tier Hussars. The Siege needs to be nerfed of course, which I have no idea why it is strong to begin with.

I really like this idea (it came to my mind too) as a bonus but it is difficult to balance except for Spanish and Bulgarians.

Moreover, it functions a bit like +20 HP without mobility since Cavalry Archers and Archers mostly play the same role and are countered mostly by the same units, unlike the Konnik and Dismounted Konnik.

However, if you look at the Camel Rider, it possesses a sword, so it may have a dismounted and melee version, if you want to imbalance Berbers.

Overlaps with Mamelukes. Moreover Muskets in middle ages is weird.

We could still have:
High pierce armor Cav archer (like the rattan)
High melee armor Cav archer (bad to micro)
a gunner on a camel
a gunner on an elephant
crossbow on any cav
archer on a donkey lol

this is already basically the CA to xbow (lower range,lower rof etc) anything less just makes them a melee unit in castle age (5 range? thats worse than a conq)

yeah a while back i said cataphract archers as the upgrade for HCA for byzantine (not bonus v infantry just more armoured than the current ones)

The Cataphract resists bonus damage and counter its counter (infantry) and is weaker against the supposed strength of cavalry (archers).

If we were to have a Cataphract Cavalry Archer, it has to be weak against infantry and good against cavalry while resisting bonus damage from Skirmishers and Huskarls.

With Cataphracts, it was easy making unit weak against archers and infantry because one is melee, other is pierce.

So accounting everything, we basically want a mounted Genoese Crossbowmen with -2 or even -3 attack (to make it bad against infantry).

The bulgarians armies had strong siege, according to wikipedia. Also, they didnt get along with byzantines (which I find funny, as byzantines are more focused on defense and bulgarians on attack).
I really like the idea of calvary archers becoming normal archers after dying, but I feel that bulgarians are now in a balanced spot. It could work maybe for an imperial tech (as part of bagains, or stirrups maybe)? or removing the elite calvary archer?
Mixing a force of konnik and konnikarchers would feel like commanding an army of undead that always come back.

How about a melee unit with a charged up ranged attack? Every 30 seconds or so, it can shoot a throwing ax or something, doing normal damage, but about five range away. This lets it always get the first attack, and makes it more effective in large melee battles.

That would be cool. If Sioux or similar are done in the future, it could be for them.

1 Like

It would be 3+3 same as conqs, also thats how the Game usually deals but irl a heavy crossbow has more reach than a longbow and cavalry should use lighter xbows.

Basically they would be a conquistador with less damage and affected by ballistics. I would like them to be a regional unit, mainly for mediterránean civs

So now you have described an Arambai.

Sioux are not medieval.

castle age exists… so 3+2… sorry bruv

exactl theres enough variants of this thing already, if anything we could pick another missing version of CA

Them spawning light cavalry would make more sense if you wanted it to counter different units and become significantly different

You mean tatars CA? They got 7 ranged armor, same as a paladin

Would make no sense. Like in the case of the konnik, you could argue that fair enough, the horse dies after getting repeatidly beaten up, but this hypothetical unit would merely lose its bow after getting pummeled?

the bow dies. the bow saved his life.

1 Like

i know, but i see many people asking for them or similar north american civs, so one of them.

Many people can be wrong together, you know.

how about a CA that spawns and elephant rising from te ground when it dies ?

A cavalry archer that is similar to konnik, becomes foot archer when the cavalry die.