Developer Request: Release official XS scripting reference

Hello,

I’m submitting a quest for the dev team to release an official XS scripting reference. If there’s a better place to post this, please let me know.

While there is tooling to extract the trigger_data.xmb/xml to lookup XS on existing triggers, as a player/dev trying to reverse engineer the scripting language is a pain.

Ideally, this would also include all available editor tooling and commands so we can more easily mod the editor.

Thanks,

Anhysbys

1 Like

This is the EE XS scripting reference btw

https://mythicfreak.github.io/aomcodereference/

1 Like

Hi CanineCrown7153,

Thanks for the reply, this is known to me though. It’s unfortunately dated and is incomplete.

I’m hoping the devs would release and maintain an official scripting reference for the game.

Anhysbys

2 Likes

Hi there!

There is a file in the AOM:R install folder called doxygen_retail.7z, when you unpack all files in this 7z to a folder, and open index.html, you will find a decently comprehensive list of all XS functions. So it is in fact already released!

5 Likes

My man, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

2 Likes

If you happen to stumble into a doxygen dump for any of the editor code too, please let me know. If not, @devs please and thank you.

What exactly do you mean by editor code?

There is a visual studio code extension as well if you are looking for it. It’s called vscodeextensionretail.7z, it will code highlighting and autocompletion for function names and stuff. It is pretty neat. Besides that I am afraid I am not exactly sure what you mean…

For making editor extensions. X editor 3 which Nottud always included in his editor pack is the best example.

Many of the old editor commands are toast. Console, camera controls, etc.

Though they could have been busted since DE, I stopped making maps prior to DE.

1 Like

There isn’t enough information on it yet. It is leaving out critical classes such as the whole AI strategy system.

I haven’t really gotten myself into AI programming yet, so you might be absolutely right! It also very much lacks documentation on the new syntax. I come from AOM:T as the most recent XS version, so I am missing a lot of the nifty new stuff like lambda’s, classes, arrays, etc. They are a godsend, but I have no idea how to properly use them yet and can’t exactly find much on it.

If you want to learn more AI stuff etc, you can find a lot of examples by the AI scripts that FE wrote themselves. Most of the stuff they make is commented, even!

Have you found any reference to the bindings available for the UI?

I’m looking for a way to display the idle villager count more prominently but haven’t found it referenced in any of the UI files that came with the game. For the top of the screen UI, they’re getting it from a binding called the IdleBannersPanel, but I didn’t see that defined in any of the xaml files.

Negative from me. I have no experience using XAML in AOMR yet, but I can do some research later. I do however know that XAML often binds to things defined in code as well, so it might be that it is not actually possible to find it in the other XAML files. I’d love to be proven wrong though, as making everything XAML based would give modders a lot of power :slight_smile: