Devs please let me build roads

iirc you can play with data mods in lobbies

They break regularly though, and are a pain to set up, so I’ve never bothered.

When you play into post Imperial and dozens of buildings get razed, you can see with your own eyes how the whole ground texture is changed into that steppe/ruined kind of texture and it stays that way (same with farms).

Like one poster above said, have an ‘empty’ building without collision and invisible and the ground will change under it. The devs just have to add that the specific ground texture is that of the cobble stone and not the ‘yellow steppe’.

And if they really would like to go the extra mile, then have it tied to ages, where in feudal age you can build a one tile dirt road and then in castle age you can build a two tile cobble stone road.
You just have to add a building command to the vills that’s all.

1 Like

I am sorry but it’s not in the spirit of the game.
Have it in a mod would be wonderful but not in the game unless there is an impact like walking speed.

There is a mod in the mod section. Where you can build roads just enable the mod (terrain mod so it’s multiplayer compatible) place a farm, delete the farm and wait until the farm disappear, there you have your road. Buildings have now also rod Terrain under the construction and under the building itself.

2 Likes

thank you for giving the info, I didn’t know this mod existed before

2 Likes

That way could be possible to mod a invisible building and than will come a foundation depends on the size of the building, but this would require data modding. Or for smaller roads palisade walls should work and than delete them.

1 Like

Wow, I’ll definitely try out this mod. The workaround with palisade walls sound pretty good. An invisible non-blocking building mod would be the icing on the cake. :smiling_face:

Unfortunately it’s not possible to do so in aoe2, since roads basically are a different skin for the terrain and not buildings.

Although, in aoe4 roads and other purely cosmetic features are automatically generated when you build up your empire.

With that mod and data modding it would be possible to create own roads

Tested the road mod now and here’s my result so far:

‘cheapest’ one tile road option (25w 5st) by building an outpost line and then delete it

cheapest 2 tile road option (25w) by building a house line and then delete it

cheapest 3 tile road option by placing a farm and immediately delete it, the big advantage is that you don’t have to complete the farm for the ground texture to change. You can delete it straight away (some farms take a little time to ‘turn into road’, just wait)

The palisades and stone walls don’t change the ground texture so they can’t be used for this, unfortunately. Theoretically, the destroyed rubble graphic could be changed into a road graphic and made to be persistent and not decay (but the decay thing is a data mod again).

1 Like