Devs respond to zoom request from beta

To test civ balance and server stability.

2 Likes

And then, they told us we canā€™t play Age IV like thatā€¦ 1 hour doing a survey for what? If you are not ready to read/listen to bad things about your gameā€¦
We told them how we feel about the camera and they gave us excuses.

If Adam Isegreen feels comfortable playing with the actual zoom level ok good for him. I donā€™t feel comfortable with that zoom. Not me, not other beta testers and as far as I know, we are the ones going to buy his game after all. At least Adam is planing to get millon of copies of course. In that case he can make the game like he wants to and have fun playing against IA

4 Likes

Okā€¦

Timing = always

andā€¦

Feedback = ā€œneverā€

Regarding this specific thing, and what was said.

Maybe he is not smart with his words, or maybe he really embraces devā€™s rigidity and thinks the consumers are ā€œsilly peopleā€.

I donā€™t know, maybe a little of both.
Itā€™s weird we havenā€™t had any clarification, or I havenā€™t seen one.

He is explicit about the zoom being an issue, and there are so many posts about it.
Does anyone related to the devs read the forums?

Itā€™s just weird to ask for feedback and then leave this ā€œweirdā€ comment to be talked and talked about with no further response.

If itā€™s just bad wording itā€™s easy to clarify, If not, well, no one who knows is gonna say anything.
And itā€™s been a week since this particular post.

PS: This is no attack, I go on from what was said. And I really want his proyect to be succesful. I love Age of Empires.

4 Likes

thanks ill do that promptly.

They said the beta build was already a couple months behind and mentioned a couple things that were already different from it.

1 Like

A lot of people in DoW III gave their feedback and were so disappointed when so little was implemented. Then DoW III people started becoming pessimistic of the game and saying harsh stuff about the graphics etc.

All relic had to say was ā€œthe players were harshā€ or ā€œtough on usā€ but they did nothing to use that to do anything about it in the game.

1 Like

they hidding start for the finals. If u understand what that means.

I do not understand what you are trying to say.

itā€™s a mem(joke) from e-sport, meaning: Nothing good came from ā€œhidingā€.

I also have a high precision mouse, should they limit the mouse sensitivity as well to the worst, hardest to control low dpi as possible to be ā€˜fairā€™ because some people donā€™ t have good mice? Should the resolution be limited to 720p because some people might not have better monitors? (That is sort of what limiting the zoom out is like). What about a quality keyboard, that would give advantage as well. Used monitors of decent sizes are not very expensive at all these days, nor are used TVs, and almost everyone has a tv that a PC can be connected to already. This ā€˜people donā€™t have big screensā€™ argument is nonsense. They do have big screens. Led projectors can be purchased for $100 that produce a 100" screen in a dark room. The main factor is APM and decision making not how far you can zoom out the game. Most ā€˜prosā€™ prefer not to play all the way zoomed out like I like to play AOE2DE in.

8 Likes

You are playing at 25 ping and your opponent is playing at 100 ping! CHEATING! You are playing with an internet connection of 100+ MB p/s while your enemy is playing at 40. CHEATING! You are playing with a 6 bandwith modem while your enemy is playing with 1! CHEATING!

and should I even mention WIFI vs direct line

7 Likes

This post really gets at the heart of the issue too.

Its necessarily that the camera is too close, it is likely a result by having too wide of a viewing angle, making it feel much more close than it is.

A narrow viewing angle flattens the image, and the camera needs to be ā€˜furtherā€™ away to get the same amount of visible space, but this is preferable in an RTS.

A wide viewing angle is more for FPS, where the edges get more perspective and become warped - adding to the immersion. You can tell simply by looking at the steepness of the white screen boxes on the minimap comparing AoM and Aoe4 in your chosen screenshots that the viewing angle for aoe4 is far too high. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if a similar angle to whatever CoH used is in use. Note that a wide angle also makes things look more ā€œcinematicā€ and ā€œepicā€ but its bad for precise RTS gameplay.

Really nice screenshots to exemplify the point btw!

1 Like

says who? You ainā€™t the king of this game- WE ARE! WE are the ones who pay the goddamned money for the game and we have right to play however we want!

2 Likes

Also if AOE4 donā€™t have a zoom featureā€¦ it will be only AOE series to not have a zoom feature- AOE1.2.3 DE all have zoom feature to some degree. ( canā€™t say for originals since I never played with original 1 and 2) which is LAUGHABLEā€¦

1 Like

it was basically him saying we can try to allow farther zoom, but we want everyone to be able to play even on a potato. So it will be hard.
So it was probably his tease regarding their reactions on feedback. Which i would say, worked around as well as one expects from age 4 marketing at this point xD

He is technically right about some things, there are certain parts the community of games sometimes ask for they really do NOT want to be part of the gae. But I believe higher zoom out is a fair and valid point.

6 Likes

Yeah, butā€¦

Beta zoom level is UNPLAYABLE, to me (and quite a few others who posted about it).
Soā€¦ Itā€™s kind of a weird take.

Yeah

3 Likes

as i found out recently, age 2 HD Edition (2013) didnt have zoom. You see depending on monitor res and ratio. On 4:3 720p 5-6 barracks ar eall you can see while on a classic WQHD you basically could playce 10 TCs in a line and 6 high t fill the screen.

ANd THATS a huge problem. But with todays hardware they should ba able to at least allow a fair and usable zoom level.

2 Likes

Yes, 10, 20 years ago.

Years of experience and tech upgrades.

2 Likes

Like I said I am not counting originalsā€¦ only DE. I am sure AOE 2 DE DO have zoom features. I own one.

Yes, I just wanted to inform you that this was the state it was before :slight_smile:

1 Like