Devs respond to zoom request from beta

Buildings are already smaller compared to units. If you make units even bigger, the building’s size will be a bloody joke, and we will have a soldier as tall as the towers in the barrack building.

1 Like

I think you are speaking for a different game and not AoE4. In this image, you realy thing units are bigger than buildings. ok…

Only squad base RTS have so big units compare to buildings like CoH. For example in starcraft there are many units bigger than a building. In many RTS games you can see the unit it is constructed which is not a lot smaller than the building. In RTS the scale does not compere to reality exactly. Else we will also start complaining that mountains have to be higher and bigger etc. Have you seen any RTS where a bombard airplane is bigger than 200 soldiers?

A 30% increase of size of units will not make any different to the scale you mention. Also it will make villagers to be clickable, because right now it is hard even in this zoom in view to select a movement villager with a click and not with a square area click of mouse.

i sincerelly dont know why the devs bother to have feedback if they will do whatever the f they want to preserve their idea of how aoe should be , i dont think they will do major changes on the game as shown and play in the closed beta . so , we have to buy it like that i guess.

7 Likes

And AOE3DE just got an even more zoomed out camera as a new testing feature in the update preview.
Not to mention the base AOE3 was much more zoomed in than its predecessors and some players of previous games didn’t like that. So they zoomed out a bit more in DE and now trying to allow more zooming out.
In the meantime they want AOE4 to be even more zoomed in again…cannot comprehend.

8 Likes

Not really bro, I couldn’t.
Reached level 27 trying to, but the more I played and the faster my apm… the more annoying the zoom was.
Didn’t open the game the last few beta days. Completely broken TO ME.

9 Likes

you could do this already… but sure we get the point

either way here’s to hoping they give us at least 10% more zoom

people posted screen shots of the unlocked zoom and it worked well with just a little boost

You literally can’t though. If you center a trebuchet you can’t see it’s full range, at least not vertically on the screen.

I’d probably be fine with 10% - 20% more.

1 Like

I was feeling the same, the last 4-5 days, I just opened it 2 times to see 1 replay each time. I didn’t wanted to play in my desktop. Practically I was hopping for a patch that would solve the camera zoom. I did not finished any of these 2 replays. And this is sad, because I wanted to participate in beta a lot…

2 Likes

Zooming out during game is basically cheating… never wanted that in RTS, everyone should see the same specially in ranked, can’t understand people requesting this in an RTS, may be in observer mode will work

6 Likes

AHAHHAHAHAHAHA cheating HAHAHAHAHAHAHH
good one, that’s funny

10 Likes

What? People just want the maximum zoom level, that everyone gets to use, to be a little further out.

2 Likes

I sometimes feel like people here have no idea what happens in AOE II DE or AOE III DE.

First of all, performance issues are a massive excuse for those who do not play any RTS games. Go play AOE III DE and AOE II DE. They have it in the Anthology pack. Go look at the zoom level and the level of graphics detail. And then judge how the performance works so well. The level of graphics in this game is equivalent to Age of Mythology. Meaning it’s low poly and super low graphics quality and lack of textures compared to the recent Definitive Edition version of AOE II and AOE III.

People who play competitively reduce the graphics aaaalll the way down. Have you seen competitive play? They turn trees into tiny cubes and get rid of particle effects. So to use competitive play as an excuse because “so much is happening”. Go watch Viper’s stream when he plays competitive AOE II DE and see how much they simplify graphics to play competitive. That will also be the case in AOe IV.

AOE as much as it is building armie, it is also city building and building an economy. What’s the point when you can’t even see the map enough to plan where you going to place your walls, your military stuff, your economic buildings. This is not a turn by turn game where you have plenty of time to look around and see where you want to put things. By the time you are wasting time scrolling around tryina decide how far your walls should go or where your buildings should go, you’d have an Army on you and the other team would be in the latest age.

And scouting would be extremely annoying and painful. Scrolling through their base to see what they have would be so inefficient you might as well just storm it blindly.

Zooming out is so important and the developers saying “that’s now how you play RTS” is an excuse because they literally said they loved AOE II and was inspired to make this game because of it.

8 Likes

It has to be a lot farther out. I thought he was joking. :slight_smile:

Tell me I’m wrong. Same trailer, seconds later.

Look at the images on the internet, there are plenty of screens in which this happens too. And I’m talking about what was shown to us after the Fan Preview videos…

4 Likes

is there a list of these

or are they claiming that porting ensemble’s games counts as making a RTS?

Ok, also lets have ships same size with 100 canons if you want reality in a RTS. The point of a RTS game is to be playable. Also in reality, a Castle/Keep is 10 times bigger than this. Practically it had to have the size of 10 Mills? I don’t want to continue, I guess you understood my point… If the game is not playable because of the units scale, the units scale has to change a bit. Its simple.

in all honesty, do we really want archery range towers to be as big as normal towers?

1 Like

This is the most zoon in RTS I can think of the last 15 years… so what devs said does not mean anything practically… I would like to hear for a RTS the last 15 years with bigger zoom than this. I don’t think it exist any… (don’t see units, see buildings, how much size of your base can you see?)

(and in higher hills it becomes worsts…)

PS: Its funny… we are talking if exists any RTS the last 15 years with worst zoom in that AoE4…

By the trailers it’s evident that the graphics are as if they made the game in the year 2000.

Look at Age of Mythology Graphics made in 2002 and hasn’t received any HD or DE yet

Then look at AOE IV :joy:

It’s almost like it’s the same game!
When Age of Mythology gets a DE version, it will look far better than AOE IV and that’s where I’d end up putting all my time

6 Likes

did you took screenshots from a video?..

1 Like