Difficultly is way too hard

I agree with all of the above. I’m trying to beat the first Greek level right now on easy and 5 minutes in two separate armies have come and basically decimated me. Surely they know this is an issue. I hope they fix the AI because if they don’t I’ve just wasted my money on this unplayable game.

3 Likes

I agree! If they do not fix this game then I wasted my money on it and I want my money back. I bought this JUST for the campaign modes.
In the first Greek Campaign, The Holy Man, I try to convert 1 villager and all the villagers turn and kill my priest before the 1 conversion is completed.
Absolutely stupid.

1 Like

They come wipe out the village before you even have the chance to get to that point.

The problem is the randomized difficulty. I was so angry at it that I set easy difficulty and completed it in one go. In siege of athens there was no siege as no enemy came. Only when I attacked them they tried to do something but at this point I had so many balista towers that it was nothing. Other time they behaved properly and attacked. The first sign of the randomized difgiculty is in Egypt campaig in the mission to capture the catapult. I never know from what side i will be attacked or if I will be attacked at all. Its totaly random. Every difficulty should set a proper action from the ai that should not change in the particular difficulty. At this point there could be one difficulty set and it wouldn change anything. Maybe for the devs it would be easier to set proper ai responses if it would be only one difficulty.

1 Like

The Conquest of Crete mission has 40+ units on the Minoan team from the start and on Standard they all head to the town center immediately. It’s insane. I so wish this game was treated properly.

1 Like

I agree that the difficulty is ridiculous. The Greek Campaign feels like it was made more for a moderately skilled player as opposed to a player that has just completed the tutorial. My first play through, I got to the Hittites then just stopped because the balancing feels ridiculous, even on standard or even easy. I am trying to do the game again now and just got through Greece again and the first Babylon level. I wished that the AI was made less aggressive…

2 Likes

I have been playing the game for 1 week (definitive edition), been doing the campaigns on moderate difficulty and so far I haven’t found the game to be as hard as you guys say it is. Sure, some levels are tricky but after 1 or 2 restarts I can complete them. Currently, I am in the first Rome campaign and god…the Pyrrhus level is insane, however I feel I am close to beating it.

1 Like

I just beat Pyrrhus myself. It is tough. I used legions and a couple priests early. Then spammed helopolis with legions supplying cover. Used catapults to take out the towers.

1 Like

The Technology event was for Age 2: DE, and the 21st Century achievement applies only to Age 1: DE…

I agree… It’s really difficult in some scenarios… ironically the most important ones.

Yep, I got the AoE1:DE achievement back in March’ish when I posted that, so I’m good-to-go. I got the Photon Man cheat for AoE2:DE.

In the last event, when they made it possible to obtain Photon Man again, their instructions were a little confusing or awkward, or I didn’t read very well, so I thought they made it lots easier for new people to get. Alas, I think people still needed to get 21st Century Achievement in AoE1:DE like you say.

Crossing the Alps seems impossible for me. No priests, no resources, just elephants, some swordsmen, 4 villagers and a scout… :frowning_face:

Don’t even start building a base. The easiest way is to lead the elephants directly to their destination.

1 Like

Will do. Thanks for the tip :+1:

1 Like

you only need take Yellow down and then build over the ruins.

1 Like

After several failed attempts, I managed to complete the scenario. What I did:

1. Created three groups (one for Hannibal and the two armored elephants, other for the regular melee units, and one final group for archers).
  2. Used archers to take down most, if not all catapults (seriously, you NEED to destroy them since elephants can’t evade their attacks).
  3. Used melee units (occassionally the important elephants too) to kill the annoying foot archers and infantry spam. Beware stone mines; units tend to get stuck there!
  4. Took the non-ranged elephants with me -except the important ones- to act as bait, and got face to face with heavy infantry from brown player (these guys cannot be beaten, only evaded!); AI tends to pick specific targets to attack, occasionally those who attacked them first, not ones passing by or random/extra ones).
  5. Used the -temporarily free- Hannibal + armored elephants and headed to the checkpoint zone.
  6. Try to keep them alive along the way; it is very important for them not to get stuck with environment, villagers, etc. Some micro-management is hugely needed for this section to be completed; AI usually attempts to kill the elephant with the lowest health of the three, so one has to be careful. All three elephants must be alive at reaching their destination, by the way.

A better pathfinding would make this scenario a lot more enjoyable IMO.