Disconnected players should lose ELO

I had 2 1v1s today where a player disconnected.

In the first one I had forgotten to plug my laptop into power and it switched off (3 minutes in). In the second one I was definitively winning (his army dead, forward castles one him, and my army in his eco) when the enemy disconnected.

I did not lose nor gain ELO in either of these 2 games (a bug or by design?).

I believe players disconnecting should lose ELO. Sure there will be some scenarios out of player controller that cause disconnects (crashes, internet issues, dummy player forgetting laptop charge 11), but those scenarios are rare and if anyone if facing persistent/ regular disconnects then perhaps ranked isn’t the best thing to play.

The real issue with no ELO loss is it allows people to abuse the system and disconnect their internet or alt+F4 when they’re losing. Of course I’m not accusing my opponent from today, one game is hardly anything to go by, but it did make me realise how easily abusable it is.

Elo ins’t a prize, it’s to accurately determine skill level, people that do this should be punished with timeouts or bans, but not lost elo

7 Likes

This would make an obvious abuse, DDOS your opponent to climb the ladder…

1 Like

I definitely agree but not everyone thinks like this, some people care more about the big numbers than balanced games.

No system is perfect, there are cheats out there that reveal map, give resources etc. But all of these are far less accessible than just turning off your internet to never lose a single match.

Although I suppose there’s an argument that an exploit the allows you to win and climb is worse than one that just stops you from losing and going down on the ladder.

We used to lose ELO when disconnected, it was changed. This is the best case scenario.

Losing ELO every time regardless of the length of game will just encourage players tanking their ELO in order to smurf. A better solution is to only lose/win ELO points if the game was longer than 30 in-game minutes and the score difference was more than 5000+ at the time of the disconnect. This will prevent players who have clearly lost from sending villagers to the corners of the map and walling them in etc. and then using disconnect to avoid losing ELO.

2 Likes

Isn’t that already the case? I remember gaining Elo a couple of times when my opp disconnected, it just needed a bit to update

1 Like

I believe you already gain elo when the other person DCs, but it can take a while to register compared to normal.

Double checked the 2 matches now, still no ELO change from them. How long does it usually take?

Did the devs change it so you dont lose elo anymore after a disconnect?
Next time if i lose, then i will just disconnect to avoid the elo loss.

In the past you did lose elo. Only exception was team games, when your team was still able to win. That is counted as a win, even if you didnt contribute.

Stupid question but why would you want to have a higher ELO?

A higher ELO means stronger opponents. So if you “cheat” to get a higher ELO you will face players that are better then you forcing you to “cheat” even more to keep up.

So let’s say you have the correct ELO which means you lose 50% of games.
If you now start to disconnect every game you lose you will climb in ELO which means you will get stronger opponents.
You win rate will drop until you have to disconnect almost every game and your ELO is stuck at some level a bit higher then your real ELO.
You will not enjoy the game since you lose almost every match. The few times you will win are going to farther and farther apart and your ELO will climb slower and slower.
Sounds very frustrating.

But generally I think there should be some punishment for disconnecting. Maybe only when it happens multiple times in a row or something like that.
It’s hard to find a good balance between punishing people that abuse disconnects and not punishing people that just have an unstable internet connection.
But I guess if your internet is so bad that you disconnect multiple times a day you should not play ranked games.

1 Like

Agreed, but some people are irrational. Why smurf? Why cheat? Why care about having a high ELO?

There is a reason why most multiplayer games use hidden ELO.

You get some visible ranks but those ranks are not directly tied to ELO.
So the progression though ranks is designed to feel more rewarding but is not as perfectly balanced like ELO is.
That’s why ranks usually reset every season.

ELO is not supposed to be a reward or a medal, it’s actually more like a punishment.
You get punished for being good by getting stronger opponents.

ELO is a number to describe your skill. I feel like that’s something very obvious that people seem to forget.
If you lose ELO though unfortunate circumstances like disconnects or your mum forcing you to eat lunch then you will be matched against worse players which will increase your chance of winning and therefor correct your ELO back to where it should be.

Maybe I’m just not competitive enough to understand how people feel about numbers.
A lot of people really hated that Call of Duty added skill based matchmaking (ELO is hidden and the developers didn’t even admit they added it) because they would run into stronger enemies when they were trying hard to win matches.
Basically punishing people for being try hards.
But for people that just casually play and are just ok with having an average KD and so on it’s not really an issue and it prevents those people from running into much harder opponents randomly.

But there is of course always smurfs that lose on purpose for some reason.
I don’t get it.
My friends once tried to get the lowest rank in CS:GO which was pretty hard to do but they somehow managed it. No idea why they did that.