Do Fetih and Constantine XII use the same map?

Very recently, Ornlu has uploaded a video playing the “new” Fetih scenario, and I noticed a few buildings and decorations in Constantinople are exaclty the same as the map in The Last Romans.

Can someone check if they recycled the map? I can’t do it myself, since haven’t bought the DLC (and never will) because most of it’s content (around 75%) is recycled from free scenarios. The most I can do is compare whatever I can see in Ornlu’s video with The Last Romans. But anyway, if it’s true that both scenarios use the same map, I’ll be even more disappointed in this DLC.

3 Likes

We can’t even play the scenarios after release due to technical error so I can’t tell. LOL! This would be very sad though. Same map for 2 different scenarios???

1 Like

I had a feeling this would happen, even way back when they first showed the scenarios in that livestream. If it really is true, then this is beyond sad. Not only do they re-sell free levels, but one of the very few scenarios that is supposedly “original” recycles the map of another scenario. I’m just hoping “Charlemagne” isn’t just “The Saxon Revolt” too.

2 Likes

Ι just started it -I had to verify game files to make the DLC works- unfortunately it is of course the same map, and additionally it is almost the same scenario with the challenge scenario!!! LOL

1 Like

You mean fortunately? XD. Still, it’s sad that they still recycled large parts of the map. This DLC can’t be even more lazy…

3 Likes

Sorry I mispelled, it IS the same map indeed! LOL!!! To be 100% sure I have to play the whole scenario, but the starting point for the turks is exactly the same with the challenge scenario and the map looks exactly the same!!!

2 Likes

Bruh :moyai: (20 characters)

1 Like

Btw can you check Charlemagne? I hope it isn’t a rehash of The Saxon Revolt…

Not the first time maps are in large parts reused to feel like the same place. Kotyan 1 & 2 (exact same map but different season), Zizka 3 4 & 6 (Mount Tabor & Prague), Joan 5 & Grand Dukes 3 & 6 (Paris & Compiègne), Longshanks 4 & 5 (same area of Scotland)…

It makes sense that Fetih and Constantine XI use the same map as they depict the exact same event, from opposite sides. What matters is how built the scenarios are, if the gameplay is great on effectively the same map, all the better. Haven’t played them yet, if it’s good I won’t hold that against the scenarios. The truth is in the pudding, as the saying goes.

6 Likes

I think reusing maps wouldn’t be an issue if this entire DLC didn’t already feel like an incredibly lazy cashgrab

with Joan and Grand Dukes the reused map was quite cool as when I recognized it during gameplay

3 Likes

Fortunately this is a brand new scenario. I just checked. The 3 of the 5 new scenarios look good. The other 2 aren’t exactly new.

1 Like

Taking place in the same area is different from reusing map assets and layouts. Of the examples you provided, only Kotyan 1 and 2 are recycled maps, but even then there’s a lot of changes and the gameplay is very different.

Compare this to Victors and Vanquished, where 15 scenarios are completely recycled with barely any changes.

1 Like

Some large chunks of the maps I mentionned were copy-pasted, it’s blatant for Longshanks 4 & 5. Yes, Kotyan 1 & 2 got a full cosmetic change but that’s because of the different season, which isn’t a factor when playing the same event on 2 sides.

I’ll judge after having played it. If it indeed feels lazy and detrimental to the experience I’ll take the greek fire.

1 Like

Or Montezuma 4 and 6 - basically same map of Tenochtitlan.
I feel like at this point some people love to complain for the sake of complaining.

5 Likes

The difference is that The Conquerors didn’t recycle 14 community made maps… FE are charging $13, and of the supposedly “new” 5 scenarios, one of them also has a recycled map.

3 Likes

El Cid 5 & 6 as well.

Samarkand is the same in ghenghis 4, Ismail 4, and Babur 1.
Kabul is the same in Babur 2 and Ismail 4.
Jerusalem is the same in Barbarossa 6 and Saladin 4
Herat is the same in Babur 2 and Tamerlane 2 (oddly enough it’s different in ismail 4 tho)

They even reworked the Aoe1 DE scenario of the battle of the catlaunian fields to math Atilla 5.

When it’s over multiple campaigns, It feels more like they’re adhering to continuity. That seems more like attention to detail. Sarmarkand doesn’t just look like any other city, in aoe2 it has a specific look.

Even in the same campaign it’s nice continuity, if a bit lacking in variety.

Even when Sundjata 5 re-used an Aoe scenario map, it seemed more like an homage or an easter egg.

It’s a lot easier to give the benefit of the doubt when there are multiple new campaigns and only a few scenario maps are re-used and there’s good reason. For V&V, with almost 75% of the content already upcycled, you’d think they’d want to stay clear of re-using things for the new scenarios but I guess not.

11 Likes

These two are EXACTLY the same map, with same units and buildings for everyone? Like, the only difference is who you play?

Because every scenario you guys mentioned have clear differences in gameplay, enemy positions etc. I mean, geographically Longshanks, Montezuma and El Cid portrait a couple events taking place in the same region so it is ok.

Can OP confirm Const XII and Feith only change the side you fight on?

1 Like

Having one scenario where you can play on both sides is a pretty cool concept and they should do more of them.
But they should not market it as 2 individual scenarios!

4 Likes

I can’t check because I refuse to buy this DLC. I’d need someone else to check.

2 Likes

I’m on the fence about the semantics of it, but when you upcycle most of the content for your DLC, you would think that you’d want to do everything you possibly could to even avoid the most tangential of insinuations that this was some cheap cash ##### but I guess not.

If these were 19 BRAND NEW scenarios, and two used the same map and only just depicted the same events form opposite view points, I don’t think it’d be a big deal.

It wasn’t a big deal when Longshanks 4 & 5 were mostly the same map. Wasn’t a big deal when the Grand Dukes re-used Paris and Compiegne (I actually think that’s cool continuity). Wasn’t a big deal when Kotyan 1 & 2 had the same map. Wasn’t a big deal when Babur and Ismail re-used Samarkand (again a cool continuity bit IMO).

But the vast majority the content was new, and what little was re-used made sense. It would actually not made sense if Paris looked different in Grand Dukes.

But when most of the DLC is upcycled, having one of the “new” scenarios be a player swapped version of an upcycled scenario just adds to the cheapness.

TLDR, IDK if it should be considered 1 or 2 scenarios, but it definitely feels cheap.

5 Likes