Do you ever mess up the sentry/irregular call? :(

Ok, mostly my fault, but I always end up calling both defensive techs whenever I’m raided, since I can never outright tell which one of these are the “pikemen” and “musket” defenders (And the name sentry or irregular doesn’t ring a bell as to what they do (English is my 2nd language though, might be more obvious to you…)).

It’s mostly to save the 4 extra seconds of squinting to check the difference.

imagen imagen

• For clarification, the irregular (On the left) is the one with a musket
  • And the sentry (On the right) is the one with the spears.

But from afar, the icons just look identical (Same goes with the Hindu icons), same pose, only changing the thin weapon wielded.
Could the irregular icons show the units shooting maybe? Or on a different pose? It’d be easier to tell on a quick glance.
(I see now there is an irregular firing right behind the front one, you can barely see the barrel of the gun :rofl:)

8 Likes

Oh man, someone could fix this via modding in a couple minutes

6 Likes

I messed it up enough times I use both together 100% of the time now so I can’t mess it up.

7 Likes

Phew!
I thought it was only me!

imagen

It’s just 160 extra resources for missing the correct one, but still, such a pain :sweat_smile:

Thoughts?

image image

Version without the background:

image image

11 Likes

Pretty cool dude! A lot more distinguishable.

Side note: It’s AI right? The lower one has fingers coming out of the palm, and is wearing eye glasses… wait…
*Quick google search
“Glasses were invented in 1284”
Oh, guess it still passes, the icon size won’t show it anyway :sweat_smile:

I’d love to learn to mod, I’d fill the game with wacky nonsense, like extra range pikemen jsjsjsjsj

Yes, it’s AI. If I can find a color photo of a 17th century peasant armed with a musket I would…

What do you prefer, background or no background?

image image image

2 Likes

I’d go without background, it makes the unit stand out more.

Think we should use the same tech icons for the unit icons? maybe just for the techs, the unit icons are clear i think.

imagen

If anything, maybe we could use this ones for the tech too :man_shrugging:
Same for india and it’s icons (Consistency I guess).

2 Likes

It would still need three versions, plus I already got the pic of the two smiling and laughing while holding the musket and I can’t give that one up.

2 Likes

Homies shooting raiders together <3

1 Like
Old Stuff

image image image

image image image

Spear levy is face on or to the left, muskets are facing to the right.

I don’t know when the single icons actually get used, but here’s the in-game:

New icons

image image image

image image image

3 Likes

single icons are used (I believe) at villages when you send the card that enables them to train emergency units

2 Likes

You were correct. Anyway new icons are uploaded, I hope someone gets some use out of them.

1 Like

not all heroes wear capes

2 Likes

Duuuuuude, I didn’t know I was talking to a modder :open_mouth:

My respects sir

1 Like

Hence my first comment in this thread :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Now if only the chinese boxer card would be worth it by beeing able to repeatedly call up the militia .

To be perfectly honest, calling both is the only way to make sure it actually has an impact on the outcome of the fight.

Not quite…

• When it’s a cavalry raid, you only need the sentries, and sentries under-perform against everything else (Because they are just for cavalry).
  • And when it’s a siege party, of pikemen as an example, you only need the irregulars to scare them off (Calling sentries here wouldn’t let you use them against cavalry later).

But if it’s an actual push, from a determined opponent, then yeah, just call them both in a panic :sweat_smile:
(Best results are → Place the sentries in cover mode so they work as a meat shield, and use the irregulars to fire behind them).

I think it doesn’t help that “Sentries” have sticks to poke cav… a Sentry is basically a lookout, which seems to imply range… irregulars could be basically anything…

2 Likes