Do you still keep your AoE 1 CDs? How do they look like? Do they still work?

I still have an AoE Gold Edition (which is cool to look at… it is GOLD, with the image that we all know. Contains AoE 1 and RoR), and it still works as in the first day that I bought! I managed to install it on my W10 and it runs pretty fine!

And, I also keep another CD, but this a Collector’s Edition, on a DVD, with not only AoE 1 and RoR, but also AoK and AoC! Also running pretty well (on the picture below, I was testing it on my W7 old desktop computer… It was perfectly fine, not even a scratch on it). I also really like the visual of it.

So, these are my CDs that I really care about on my little collection of CDs. Do you guys also keep AoE CDs? Do they still run fine? How do they look like (mine are from what they released here in Brazil… I wonder if they are different on different countries)? Any tips on how to conserve CDs in order to make them last even longer?

eu tenho essa versão gold também

All four of mine work fine. I have 2 Gold Editions (US), 1 European collectors edition, and one Vanilla (Bundled with Gateway 2000)

If you treat them well (only hold it by the edges and only leave it in soft holders, like your CD Binder, no extreme temperatures) then they’ll last indefinitely.

Fortunately, there are still tons of AOE Discs out there. If you’re really concerned, you can always buy another copy and keep it safe as a backup.

You can also legally make one backup copy each of your original discs.
Disc drive emulation is also possible, which would prevent the wear caused by normal use. No comment on the legality of doing this with a game.

There’s also the Nuclear option: M-Disc, which is supposed to last a thousand years, in case you’re in the time capsule industry.

@sonictimm said:
All four of mine work fine. I have 2 Gold Editions (US), 1 European collectors edition, and one Vanilla (Bundled with Gateway 2000)

If you treat them well (only hold it by the edges and only leave it in soft holders, like your CD Binder, no extreme temperatures) then they’ll last indefinitely.

Fortunately, there are still tons of AOE Discs out there. If you’re really concerned, you can always buy another copy and keep it safe as a backup.

You can also legally make one backup copy each of your original discs.
Disc drive emulation is also possible, which would prevent the wear caused by normal use. No comment on the legality of doing this with a game.

There’s also the Nuclear option: M-Disc, which is supposed to last a thousand years, in case you’re in the time capsule industry.

Nice stuff that you got over there, everything looking neat! And yes, I keep all my cds on a good state, always taking care of my CD Binder! Not really hard, I think it is just a matter of putting it in a organized drawer and don’t leave it with stuff on top of it.

wow, a lot of good information on your post! I didn’t know that I was allowed to be able to do a copy of my game backed by legal aspects (I guess most of people do that, but I never heard about it being a right for cd owners).

Never heard also about this M-Disc. Interesting!!

ahah of course i still have mine it works just enough to install all the files =] and cd to load for game play

All disc are working, and even tried to insert the original AoE disc to the DVD ROM today, still working fine :blush:

@MannedLeopard58 said:
I still have an AoE Gold Edition (which is cool to look at… it is GOLD, with the image that we all know. Contains AoE 1 and RoR), and it still works as in the first day that I bought! I managed to install it on my W10 and it runs pretty fine!

And, I also keep another CD, but this a Collector’s Edition, on a DVD, with not only AoE 1 and RoR, but also AoK and AoC! Also running pretty well (on the picture below, I was testing it on my W7 old desktop computer… It was perfectly fine, not even a scratch on it). I also really like the visual of it.

So, these are my CDs that I really care about on my little collection of CDs. Do you guys also keep AoE CDs? Do they still run fine? How do they look like (mine are from what they released here in Brazil… I wonder if they are different on different countries)? Any tips on how to conserve CDs in order to make them last even longer?

I have the second one :smiley: