Does Russia lacks creativity? Weak Late game?

I’ve been playing Russia since 2005 and I even wrote a post of what I think russia, currently is lacking on. Strelets, Not dealing well vs what they counter?

Supremacy. Russia only option is to rush and if you fail you lose game as they have no come back options. You lose all Fortress fights as strelets have only 14 range. If you try to take map vs better players they just kite you with better range units. If you go in the open with falconets. That doesn’t seem like a good idea as current canon pathing is very bad [ Canons are mostly good to defend or to use as surprise ]

Despite Russia only option being Rushing. Most good players will defend properly and you are left with nothing as current maps have enough food for the other player for them to stay in base and age up and get a better army to fight vs you. Which is something you can’t really stop

When you face good opponents Russia has very low chances at wining any matchup as of right now.

Treaty wise: I’ve played a lot of treaty and face to face like you all state. Russia lose so hard not even to the point of 10k on each side if opponent lost that then russia wins. That is somewhat not true. Strelet is the most inneficient unit the longer the game goes. And spaming cossack vs lots of anti cav is not that smart either.

Also good treaty players won’t allow you to get away with oprichs then you’re just down to facing him and probably losing.

• Russia is the only civ out of all civs which gets dumbstered by what their only unit[ strelet ] is suppoused to counter.

• Having nothing past 14 range but canons when you need to be mobile in supremacy. Really shrinks russia’s possibility at winning.

possible ways of allowing russia to be somewhat playable mid to late game is:

• Giving strelet scaling range until they get to 18 or 20 by imperial.
  • Strelets should cost Half pop instead of 1 pop to be truly efficient. So for 10 strelets it should be 5 pop instead of 10 pop
  • Giving Russia the ability to train skirms by Fortress. [ Or apply the same method Weaker skirms just like the musketeer ]
  • Russia was the civ known for the usage of Forts. That is no longer the case. They require way too many cards to make forts a good usage And they get no bonus out of that. As INCA was released they gave Forts bonus to them which is ok. But in return russia should receive something different or better? Basically all euro civs can build Forts with their Hero now. so the unique ability of russia being able to rebuilt forts is no longer there.
  • I understand that blockhouses is a combination of barrack + outpost, However as russia was meant to build Block houses and Forts They had very limited numbers of these. Working a way for russia to have more Block houses or reducing the amount of cards needed for russia to have better usage in their Fort ability?
  • The Commerce age up Logistician Gives 1 blockhouse and allows all blockhouse to give 10 pop instead of 5. For starters [ We have repeat many times that russia is a rushing civ. Playing defensively or for long term is not a good option. Reworking the logistician to give a better buff should be a thought. As aging up with this logistician is not worthy.

I honestly think the best way is giving russia skirms by Fortress as this is their main weakness. And this should allow for Fast fortress plays or early fortress plays as russia is very weak in that right now. Or changing strelets range and pop cost.

In aoe3 The longer the game goes the more important population becomes. Resource is of less important as they are infinite where as pop is limited. Russia having everything weak at the cost of same pop as other civs leaves you at small chances at winning.

3 Likes