Hello. In this post I look to bring some awareness to strelets. Keep it to their range and how they deal vs other units.
After playing more than 2k games of Russia. I can talk from my own experience
So far they are cheap and they trade well when Good economy is going. However When both players are equally good and the other player pushes you to use them. Strelets are not as efficient. As they don’t win the Light infantry vs light infantry war, and they lose to some of their own counter [ Musk, Ranged cav ]
- Strelets stats for Commerce are 14 range 72 HP 8 attack. [ 85 HP 9 A w/ boyars ]
- Veteran Strelets stats for Fortress are 14 range 90 HP 10 attack [ 103 HP 11 A w/ Boyars ] & [ 121 HP 13 A w/ boyars + strelet combat ]
- Fully carded Strelets and Imperial. They got 202 HP 23 A, X3 vs HI, X2 vs RC and 16 range. [ and after having these stats, They lose hard to caroleans ]
Event with these stats. The following units just kill Strelet so badly it’s disgusting. And Strelet is supposed to be their counter. Saying strelet is cheap and that they kill them. Yes they do but losing resources before the trade becomes efficient is a really bad design. I often lose more strelets before a fight starts due to their low range. Than when the fight has already started. At which point the fight is also Lost.
- Veteran Carolean [ Swede Musketeer ]: carded in Fortress has 15 range and it’s a musk. This is the most insane as a well played swede, completely destroys Russia. Keeping in mind that Caroleans by Imperial have 375 hp and 17 range, And by Industrial 16 range and 300 HP
- Dragoon type units [ Most Euro civs ]: Walking up in front of strelets and wiping them just because goons got High hp and range resistance plus 14 range [ 18 range Port goon ]
- Eagle Runners [ Aztec ]: These destroy strelets very bad. And they got 16 range and 1.5 ROF against strelets. Just wow
- War Wagon [ Germany ]: These got 16 range and 18 range with arsenal upgrade. No way on earth to deal vs these using strelets nor any other unit within the Russia’s army.
- Ashigaru [ Japan Musketeer ]: Despite ashi having 12 range. They got 4.5 mov speed and they got alot of HP they can close the gap very easy.
- Janissaries [ Ottoman Musketeer ]: Fight these is a little bit more Strelet favored. But most of the time an otoman player doesn’t care if you got some strelets. They just walk in and hit as range is not that much of a difference.
- Sepoy [ Indian Musk ]: Close to what happens to Jani
- Normal musk [ Most Euro civs ]: These are the easiest to fight as they got 4.0 mov speed and 12 range. But civs that got cards for them can just close the gap and demolish strelets
For most civs they got Skirms or an anti infantry unit that has good traits and 16 + range. No other civ has a type skirm unit with 14 range. Even jungle bowman which is close to strelet as they move fast. have 16 range and poison to them [ Jungle bowman gets 19 range by Imperial and they have a mov speed of 5+ with cards]
With this post I type for strelets to receive a Range buff [ They currently have one for imperial which gives them 16 range ] But most supremacy games end around Fortress, rarely industrial.
Strelets should have 16 Range by Fortress, maybe on their Veteran upgrade? And move their Imperial +2 buff to Industrial to be able to deal with Caroleans accordingly. If these are implemented strelets should have 18 range by industrial and that should make them a useful unit against the units they counter.
I’m suggesting this change but being very cautious about it. Here is the following. Russia’s Early Fortress is the weakest of all civs and they don’t have much that favors them. Weak strelets, Weak musks.And current pathing in game doesn’t help to use cannons properly. Most civs just age up and go for that Skirm/goon composition or you just get destroye early on because strelets aren’t good enough.
- Have to add that when Russia finally ages Catches up to Fortress. They usually have to spend 600 wood and 600 coin to upgrade all their army if they did Strelet/musk/Cossack
Balance wise I would say it is fair if strelets had 16 starting range from Commerce age, But let’s open it to discussion. Losing half my strelet against Junglebowman or xbow before strelet is any useful doesn’t seem ok due to having to go close to fight
Now Areas where they need 16 range and 18 range are 16 in Fortress and 18 in Industrial. Or else they aren’t as useful versus what they are supposed to counter
I’ll bring more proof as needed with videos. I’ll start recording these aspect when playing.