Don't add the "Teutons"

People need to wake up, this is a game with asymmetrical factions, not a documentary, there won’t be a lot of them added to the game.

5 Likes

Woad Raiders are the unique unit of the Celts who aren’t a well designed civ either, that doesn’t stop people from thinking they are designed after scotish/Irish

I literally just gave you the description BY THE DEVS what they represent

There is no point of pursuing this discussion if you ignore actual paragraphs written by devs what the Teutons represent. I think the devs know more what a civ in their game represents more than you do

1 Like

And i like to invite you into reading wikipedia aswell as the Holy Roman empire is imeadiatly described as a political structure, making it an country, you misunderstand what wikipedia says about the different kingdoms, they refer to the different titles, the first emperor Otto was both king of Germany as Italy and would later the titles merged as holy roman emperor I.E. it became the HRE.

Burgundy and such were lands incoprorated into the HRE which very well was a country and I would like you to give actual sources stating the HRE wasnt a country, because even tho you claim them to be the sources you provided counter your points.

Also your post is dont name them Teutons or HRE so you might want to look at that and aswell the Latin name for East Francia because you are a hypocrite and didnt even look before posting as what I said was very well true.

Political entities are basically systems of governing authority organized as governmental power structures. Empires, nation-states, city-states, and kingdoms are just a few examples of political entities .
Definition

This list of states which were part of the Holy Roman Empire includes any territory ruled by an authority that had been granted imperial immediacy, as well as many other feudal entities such as lordships, sous-fiefs and allodial fiefs.

The Holy Roman Empire was a complex political entity that existed in central Europe for most of the medieval and early modern periods and was generally ruled by a German-speaking Emperor. The states that composed the Empire, while enjoying a unique form of territorial authority (called Landeshoheit) that granted them many attributes of sovereignty, were never fully sovereign states as the term is understood today.[1] In the 18th century, the Holy Roman Empire consisted of approximately 1,800 such territories, the majority being tiny estates owned by the families of Imperial Knights.[2] This page does not directly contain the list, but it discusses the format of the various lists, and offers some background to understand the complex organisation of the Holy Roman Empire. The lists themselves can be accessed via the alphabetical navigation box at the top of this page; each letter will lead the reader to a page where states of the Empire which began with that letter are listed. For a more complete history of the empire, see Holy Roman Empire.

I like that moment when you fall into dishonesty so as not to recognize you were all wrong. Political structure is not synonym of country, no. Otherwise European Union would be considered a country, which it’s not. There is really no point in pursuing this silly discussion.

As stupid and clunky their description is, it still confirms the fact that their civ represents the Germanic speakers of the HRE (before and after the birth of the empire).

I really like the idea dismissing the teutons from the game. The name, as well as the descriptions by the devs (I really doubt they were made by them, as I know the gaming industry, a trainee had to write this “side stuff”) are misleading and not correct.

The term teutonic refers to a “german” tribe in the antics. But the terms german and teutonic are a roman construct. There is no evidence the tribe himself named themself like that.

Refering their special unit, the teutonic knight, he is a part of the teutonic order so assuming the teutons in AoE II represent the HRE or the german speaking cultures is in my opinion wrong. They represent the [State of the Teutonic Order](State of the Teutonic Order - Wikipedia)

For AoE IV I would propose to integrate the HRE as a civilisation. The English, Delhi Sultanate and China are big and complex political entities that went enormous changes in the time the game is settled in. The HRE fits perfectly in this. I don’t like the decision by the devs using this abstract entities but like many other bad decisions by them we have to live with it and at least don’t preorder the game or we have to make a better one :slight_smile:

In a next step some political entities could be integrated as civilisations who were part of the HRE like the Hanseatic League, Kurfürsten or “Bavarians”.

1 Like

It literally says they represent the HRE. If you are too ignorant to see that, than go ahead. Keep living in your little fanasty where you decide what civs represent what in a game that you didn’t create.

please, stop the fighting :slight_smile: Its just one small misconception from someone who is probably not native english, calling a political entitiy a country as it has a border. (update: it seems that in fact, a political entity IS a country. i didnt know that, in german there is a clear destinction. see below)
That is, factually, wrong, since borders do not make countries. But its possible this is either
a) a misunderstanding of the english world country, which in their native tongue might mean exactly this (so their translation of country would also be used for teh european union)
b) their culture has a different definition of country. There are many cultures in the worls, some of them may see works in a different way than others. I have no direct example, but its quite possible that for some cultures, anything with borders is supposed to be seen as country.
c) a misunderstanding o the terminology country, without any reason in culture or anything.

In either case, there is no need to start becoming agressive, just maybe see that each side has their agruments and some of them may be right, others might be wrong from your side, but not from theirs.

However i would suggest just leaving the definition of country (english word) here:
Wikpedia, first sentence:

" A country is a distinct territorial body or political entity."
so it seems, the english word country can also be used for political entities.

If you wish to discuss further, of course you may find better pages to quote than wikipedia :wink:

to conclude even if you know you are right, stay nice :slight_smile:

regnum Teutonicorum is the latin name for the Kingdom of Germany or basically East Francia what would turn into the German part of the HRE. Teutons are the people from here. In history multiple names have been used for different constructs or people. Iberia was once the name for the area thats now Georgia etc.

Teuton in general can refer to German people.

2 Likes

Teuton is one term to refer to the HRE but from the thousand that exist this is one of the least used ones.

As every culture in europe called the germans in their manner often referring to tribes from antiquity it is quite difficult to adress all german speaking people with one term and is scientifically mostly circumscribed.
The celts were already mentioned. They suffer from the same problem in AoE II.

In my opinion there is no civilisation in AoE II representing the germans

1 Like

You said they were more like the Teutonic order, you know what Teutonic means in that name right?

In German the name is Deutsche orde, German order literaly translated. The English language has a tendacy to copy Latin words, which again is done here as Teutonic refers to the order being German.

It is not a lesser known name, literaly the whole thing in the medieval ages that was trending was to use latin words and such because it was the language of nobility in many cases or influential people. The bible stayed a long time in Latin for a reason.

For an game based on history the term Teutonic is actually very good, unlike your modern view on the game. A bit like naming the Eastern Roman Empire Byzantium as a modern vieuwpoint on the matter. Its not wrong, but viewing it from a medieval perspective or their viewpoint it is wrong.

1 Like

and here we have to take the current stage/ setting of age 4 into consideration. we basically play a documentary series about medieval times, at least from the first campaign teasers and the ghost builders etc.
Therefore the Civs in Age 4 will most likely be named after the term their empire is called nowadays, rather than their name(s) back in the day.
So basically, we do play whole EMPIRES being build from the gound up. this includes the English (empire), and therefore logically should also include the HRE, not the specific smaller tribes.

Also its funny, the word Deutsch was made to “Teutsch” which then became teutonic xD

Hey Holy Genius, just ask these three questions by Yes or No only:

• Is the European Union a political entity?

• Is the European Union a country?

• Did the Saxons, Bavarians, Italians, Dutch, Provençaux, Poles, Bohemians and Burgundians belong to a same nation?

Yes or No.

The EU is a political structure yes. And yes a lot of people consider the EU as a state or country, they make a centralised laws, legislature and trade. Its getting closer to the USA every day. Most however will still say its not entirely a country, but when looking at the definition of country again, the EU fits only 1 of those criteria, the HRE fits all.

And again I already stated in my language nation and country are often interchangable, so I corrected myself into using country. Strictly speaking in English they are not the same nation, however they belonged to the same country.

2 Likes

EU is not a country a no one considers it a country. The truth is that a political entity is not necesarily a country. It can be, especially when that political entity merges with a nation. But it’s not always. IMO the HRE can’t be seen as a country because of all the aforementioned differences and disunity. Maybe it could be seen as a political only country (tho I won’t even argue for that), but as I often said I think AoE civilisations should portray cultures rather than mere political entities or dynasties and that is perhaps our fundamental disagreement rather than this discussion upon historical facts.
I can understand that you support the addition of political entities like the HRE as civilisations, but I just don’t agree with that.

1 Like

This is where you go astray, it does not matter what you think the game should be, it matters what the devs have made. You don’t decide what a civ represents, the devs do and they clearly state that the Teutons represent HRE

4 Likes

Guys I think there is a lot of misunderstandings around the name Teutons. While Latin Teutones did indeed first refer to the ancient Teutons, it later evolved to name most Germanic speakers (though mostly West Germanic ones from the HRE), hence the Teutonic/German(ic) Order (Ordo Domus Sanctæ Mariæ Teutonicorum) or the early modern era name of the HRE Sacrum Romanum Imperium Nationis Teutonicae (“Holy Roman Empire of the Germanic Nation”) when it started to be identified as a Germanic nation (after losing much of its non-Germanic parts in Late Middle Ages).
This evolution isn’t stupid as Latin Teutoni came from proto-Germanic þeudō (“people”) upon which were then formed many names referring to Germans or Germanic speakers such as Deutsch, Dutch, Tedesco, Thiois, Tudesque, Tyska, etc.
Therefore, Teutons is actually not a too bad name for a German/HRE Germanic speaking civilisation.

1 Like

There definatly are multiple people refering to Europe as a state or country.

Also can you give me according to the definition of country why the HRE isnt one? Not your opinion, definition or fact.

1 Like

Okay, I studied History and Politics and I can tell you definitly that neither the HRE nor the EU are nations:D
At least not in a scientific way and not in germany it is a supra-national building.

If you really wish for it I can gather the evidence at the library in the next days :wink:

2 Likes