Double tapping hotkey does not snap to TC/Explorer

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: V. 100.12.18493.0
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Double tapping my ‘find unit’ TC & Explorer button does not snap to my TC and Explorer respectively when I have the ‘Hotkeys snap to unit’ toggled off. Instead it only cycles through the TCs and explorers instead of panning to the them.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start a game
  2. Build a few TCs
  3. Double tap in quick succession ‘find the unit’ hotkey for TC and Explorer

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

On double tapping the ‘find the unit’ hotkey for TC and explorer, your screen must pan to the TC and explorer respectively.
However on retrospect, different players are used to different settings due to a bug since legacy.

SOLUTION:

I believe this would be the optimal solution to our problem. Please look into this.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

Look at the mini map on the bottom left.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

wrong.age3Ysav (2.2 MB)

2 Likes

I disagree with this statement because that is up to preference and I like it how it is now.

Ideally the “Hotkeys snap to unit” option should be changed from a toggle switch to a 3 option switch with “off/1st select/2nd select”.

1 Like

Thanks @Harchah. I’ve made an edit to my op.

This is a known issue and it is being tracked by our team. Thanks for the report!

4 Likes

Hi, the latest patch hasn’t fixed this issue. Please address this soon!

1 Like

Yes, this issue has been present for several patches now. Just go back to what it used to be, It’s very annoying playing civs with 2 heroes or with more than 1 tc like this…

3 Likes

Hi, it’s been a year, and this is still not fixed!

1 Like

Yeah this is annoying, I wish it worked exactly like on legacy.

1 Like

@Ippert @gmenyhart @vividlyplain @Breadalus can y’all have a look at this please?

1 Like

We are still tracking this internally. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. :+1:

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m finally able to double-click any unit/building to snap to that unit/building in the January PUP version when I had to rebind all my hotkeys since game deletion (on purpose). Earlier, since DE I had to use it along ‘find selection’ hotkey to snap to it, which was 1 hotkey too many, personally.

My question now is, how do I ensure that this remains the same even when I shift to the non-PUP version. Should I delete the old user data (non-PUP version) that is still saved in

home user directory in Windows, then Games > Age of Empires 3 DE. 
Then open the folder with a lot of numbers, then "Users". 
Your custom hotkeys are in the "NewProfile.xml" file, at the end in a "KeyMapGroups" XML tag.

Or how do I go about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iirc if you find the keybind file that should be somewhere in game folder in my documents and copy it the one the main game uses, it should just copy over.

I had to do the reverse so i know it works, but the location of the file i dont really remember, will add on the exact location

edit: ok it should be

C drive/users/admin/games

in it there should be 2 folders, one for DE and one for the PUP

within the folders is the file LocalKeybindings.xml , that should be the hotkeys

Thank you so much @coffeeco01. I did do that.
What about the ‘UserProfile’ file? What is that for? I also noticed that the ‘NewProfile’ file is unique to the non-PUP version. Thoughts on that?

iirc the userprofile is basically ur userdata for the game, i wouldnt mess with that

as for the newprofile file i dont rememeber but better not touch too much.

I accidentally deleted something once and while it didnt bug the game it did delete all the profile icons i unlocked forcing me to start from scratch

Okay so i just checked the NewProfile.xml file on the non-PUP version. It has that has all the hotkeys too. So if you do get any idea about it, lmk what I should do.

Yeah, the same happened to me in this PUP version (maybe because i deleted the PUP user file alone a long time ago) Will check and see if I regain them in the main version.

@coffeeco01 Thanks for everything, I got it to work on the main version. I got back my profiles too.

For future hotkey storage, should I just save the LocalKeybindings.xml file in a separate location to avoid re-adjusting the hotkeys again or is that the NewProfile.xml file?

hi, I’m facing a similar issue. Double tapping T cycles through town centers but doesn’t pan to it. I don’t face this with control groups though. Have you been able to solve this issue?