Drydocks as a Battleship “Factory”

As of now, Battleships are only available to the British and Spanish via cards. This could be expanded and extended to the other factions by the introduction of the Drydock building as a way to train them.

An Age 4 card that sends a Drydock wagon could replace the Infinite 1 Battleship card. Drydocks could act as a Dock on steroids that heals and trains faster and can also train Battleships. Drydocks would be irreplaceable late game building like Factories and would provide an avenue to replace sunk Battleships. It would reuse the Drydock model from the campaigns. It could also have some upgrades for late game water.

Some possible upgrades could be:

Ship Breakers - Allows fishing boats to be garrisoned in Drydocks and recycled to return their cost

Fisheries - Ships a school of fish to your water shipment point

Whalers - Ships a whale to your water shipment point

Europeans, Americans, and Mexicans could obtain Drydocks through a card. Other civs could have access in other ways.

Portuguese Consulate - Replace Ironclad Shipment with Drydock wagon (possibly make available for China in place of French Consulate)

Greek Shipyards (from House of Phanar) - Sends a Drydock wagon

11 Likes

Could also “train” ships like caravels and galleons in batches.
Caravels (5 in 5)
Galleons (2 in 2).

5 Likes

All civilizations can now create or send flagships. I think this building could be a further improvement on the standard dock from the industrial age.

I like the idea, though I would still like to see it being rebuildable if it’s going to replace the infinite battleship card, I’d rather have it just be limited to one building.

My intention was for it to be a Factory equivalent for water. So it would provide a powerful bonus but vulnerable to being destroyed.

This post was also from before it was clear they were trainable via royal houses so that kinda interferes with how I was intending them to work. Maybe instead of (or in addition to) being the sole place to train Battleships, Drydocks could increase the build limits of all ships like the Admiralty card used to do.

1 Like

I don’t think it will happen, but this building could be used for several things, some examples that come to mind are, for a new civilization, as a special building for existing civilizations or it could be used for coastal native outposts.

Personally, I would like Drydocks to be used for revolutions. These special ports could be used to create special fishing boats that can defend themselves and do not cost population, similar to the native Canoe of the American continent but with a style more typical of revolutions. (obviously with a training limit)

The Drydocks could also be used to create unique ships for the revs, but that could be a lot of work for the developers and I don’t think they can do it with the current situation. :worried: