Easy military drag select isn't a thing anymore?

In almost every age of empires game you can use the box selection to select military units only, ignoring the villagers. Why isn’t this an option here? Instead we got “box select can never select villagers” and “box select can never select military?” Change it back to what it was in Age of Empires 2, 3, mythology, pretty much the whole series except for age of empires 1 please.

9 Likes

There was a “smart” selection option but it was bugged… was it removed in the release?

1 Like

The smart selection is still selecting villagers with the army. It has not been fixed.

4 Likes

Yeah smart select still does not work. I reported it as a bug.

3 Likes

Smart select is not working in beta test and they don’t solve it!

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. I also loved the military drag selection of Age 2 :slight_smile:

However, it’s also true that the old selection mechanism could backfire in some cases. It would be great to have all options available in the menu, or even to have a hotkey to select Villagers or Military.

Age 2 has this. Pressing shift or ctrl would select different types of units, economic or military, maybe also alt to have both. Age 3 has a similar system so I might be mixing. That said, something similar should be implemented here as well, why not?

1 Like

They’re busy working on COH3.

1 Like

There is such a bottom just that it is not working!

Really? where?
I didn’t see it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

In the setting page, maybe gameplay, there is something called Smart Selection.

Yeah I have it activated, but it just selects everything. Clicking through different types of units is extremely difficult when you have a diverse army.

But… if you could press an additional hotkey to deselect all Villagers or Military, the Smart selection system might actually be great!

Its a SHAME. 3 months since alpha and they DONT FIXED this. In fact, the game is exactly the same. No improvements

Is this on the roadmap of fixes?

They need to add easy drag. So annoying to play without it

The topics from the siege crew stuff have hundreds of likes, and this issue has 4 likes lol

Ha, this actually affects playability too. This is one of the most crucial things that I think needs fixed. Along with hotkeys, some hit box issues, and some gameplay related bugs.

Good evening.
My discussion is that is very important holding some shortcut functions that we used in AoE II DE. For example, in my opinion and experience, select between villagers and militia in the middle of a fight where the density of units is too high makes a notable difference

Age of Empires II_ Definitive Edition 03-11-2021 0_48_55 (2)
Age of Empires II_ Definitive Edition 03-11-2021 0_50_15 (2)
Age of Empires II_ Definitive Edition 03-11-2021 0_50_23 (2)

Please, up this topic because its a very important function that must to be in the game :frowning:

8 Likes

Feedback on this has been provided. The smart selection in the game doesnt work.

1 Like

Seems like devs don’t actually get what this function is supposed to be about.

OPTION ‘MILITARY UNITS SELECTION’:
When you drag selection box over the area with mixed villager\soldier presence it should ignore villagers\trade caravans if there at least 1 military unit in the box.

Currently it works weirdly: after enabling it you cannot drag and select villagers by box at all (even if there are no any soldiers within it). Devs, seriously, just go play aom or aoe 2 and see how it’s work there!

2 Likes