English need changes.

Just watch last round of golden league matches. English is one of the best civs by far

last round top 3 civs where banned

1 Like

if you follow the daily streams of beasty or viper you will certainly know that they now consider the British one of the strongest. Not a S tier but an A

1 Like

yes, but you talked about the last golden league round :wink:
they say its strong but not OP and thats a huge difference

4 Likes

yes the horsemen need more bonus damage agains archers, those longbowmen are way too op

2 Likes

Longbows are not OP.
AOE4 | 150 English Longbowmen VS 150 French Arbalétrier - YouTube
There is evidence showing how they can’t even counter what they are supposed to. If pro players make feats it’s because their skill and effort. So Longbows are a bit weak.
Horsemen totally counter archers and Longbowmen, but I think it’s ok that some horsemen can lose against a huge mass of archers or Longbows.

1 Like

i saw some golden league games and it was clearly they are very op. yesterday i saw demuslims wacking an imperial army with 40 longbowmen

1 Like

and now you show us a youtube link english vs english? of course english is OP :rofl: made my day

2 Likes

Longbows don’t counter Arbaletrier. At-least not the way its shown. First Arbaletrier have ability to increase ranged armor by 5. So If your longbows are just standing there, there is no chance in hell you gonna win against them. Long-bows out-range crossbows and more importantly they are soft counter. Horsemen are hard-counter to crossbows.

3 Likes

Lol its funny how people think English is bad in current patch. English in this patch is the best civ. They can do aggression in any age. They don’t have to extend to get food risking raids. They can’t be easily killed as their TC can easily kill armored units. They get second TC in Age 3. Mangonel are nerfed now and archer mass can pretty much counter everything. Horsemen need direct contact to ditch out damage. With few spears mixed in and you got a problem.

English in no way below S tier. And their Age 4 landmark is ridiculous. Even Beastyqt agrees.

As for team-games, playing as french I feel much stronger with a Chinese, English and Abbasids. With English we can do Knights + Archer Spears rush. Pretty much close to impossible to repel unless you are against another English player. Chinese and Abbasids are late-game investment. You need to keep opponents busy which you can with knights and even if it hurts your eco, Chinese late-game is crazy.

4 Likes

Wut?. How can and English mirror tell you how OP they are?

1 Like

In that video, Arbaletrier, had Pavise shield, but just for 4-6 seconds, after that time they moved and a lot of Arbaletrier were back there idle, so even with that French disadvantage the English lost that vs. Arbaletrier are supposed to win against Archers, but with the Longbowmen is different, not only because the kind of bow, also for high training they have; the Longbow range makes the Pavise shield not very effective, so a versus between them should be almost pair to pair but with Longbowmen victory, but that didn’t happened even with idle Arbaletriers.

But longbows dont even cost gold. And cost half the food than arbaletriers. And longbows are created faster. And you can start creating them 1 age earlier. try with equal resources and let me know

So, every French unique unit will counter the only English unique unit? Boa.

Arbaletriers cost a bit more, but considering that you can get food and gold infinitely Arbaletriers cost almost equal as the Longbows because wood is scarce at the late game and French can get all resources infinitely.

The fact that Arbaletriers were 15 seconds idle back there shows how OP Arbaletriers are compared to Longbowmen.

About the training time, I would agree with setting training time for Archers and Crossbowmen to 18, and for Longbowmen and Arbaletriers to 20 seconds.

So what’s your point? The user your quoting did already say that english are a top civ right now but not OP. The data pretty much shows that. Also it usually takes some time until a new meta evolves, counter strategies are figured out etc.

1 Like

It rather shows that Arbaletriers are an ill-designed unit that doesn’t have a real counter.

• Change Arbaletriers to heavy or reduce their melee armor to max 6. This unit makes no sense the way it is. They have more armor than maa, they counter heavy units and are barely touched by light ones (spears do nothing to them, archers are also not a good counter due to pavise. Even Horsemen struggle). I have issues with this unit’s design since release. It beats the rock, paper, scissor basis of the game. And with the mangonel nerf, this unit literally has no real counter. Making this unit heavy would allow other crossbows to counter the Arbaletrier. Arbaletrier base range def would have to be imrpvoed, though. Otherwise CB would counter them too hard. And it makes sense. They wear a heavier armor, so anti armor weapons should deal more dmg to them.

• Network of castles is way too strong. It should be 15/25% instead of 25/50%. It’s just too strong. And siege should not be affected at all. The buff is kinda always active, you cannot always destroy all the towers. The range of effect also is so big, towers shouldn’t even grant it (stone wall towers, keeps and tc’s should). What should be a defensive mechanic, is actually always active and used offensively. And for that kind of usage, it is way too strong. 50% attackspeed for any unit is just irrational.
    So either nerf the % or remove it from normal towers. And leave siege completely out of it, if the attackspeed bonus is not at least halfed (max 25%). In turn increase unit prodcution speed by 50/100% when network of castles becomes active. As long as NoC is active, all production buildings in the area except towncenters produce units faster.

Eventually NoC would increase attackspeed by 15/25% for all units and increase unit production by 50/100% for the duration. Alternatively leave NoC the way it is, but remove it from normal towers and exclude siege completely. I prefer the first suggestion. That would help the English to become much more versatile and dynamic under pressure or when attacking, while reducing the insane increase to attackspeed which sometimes even makes the game look silly. 50% also is just too much to be that easily accessible. It’s somewhat always active.

3 Likes

Isn’t the counter to arbalatriers to simply move away when they use Pavis and then re-engage while it’s on cooldown? But if you really want nerfs I would say just make it so the pavis only reduces damage from the direction it’s facing so any cav / maa flanks would be very strong against it.

A fully upgraded Arbaletrier has 10 melee armor, Pavise is only against ranged attacks and grants additional 5 armor to ranged armor. Arbaletriers always have 10 melee armor. So it doesn’t make any sense for melee units to disengage during pavise and then reengage.

Arbaletriers are light armored (!!!) units that have much more melee armor than a knight or maa. It makes zero sense and beats the counter system of AoE 4.

2 Likes

Horsemen still trade effectively against Arbaletrier.

No it doesn’t. Can we talk about English MAA with +5 armor? The main issue is mangonel. Right now there is no effective counter against a mass handcannoner. English can just spam with their eco. Mangonel has buffed every ranged unit. It has nothing to do with Arbaletriers.

Spears get countered by Crossbows. Why would you spam spears against crossbows.

Archers are mid counter to Arbaletriers. Trade will be somewhat effective resource-wise. Long bows do better. Also pavise is a niche skill just like longbows have. Just because I can’t immediately engage doesn’t mean its not countered. Also you are forgetting bonus damage against light infantry. Armor makes slight difference.

This applies to all ranged units. Handcannoner are broken and english can just spam endless late-game. Same for crossbows of any civ. The main issue isn’t Arbaletriers. Its mangonel. This need to increase back the radius to make it viable against ranged units.

They become far less effective with a front line. They need way more hits than for normal cb’s. There should be a special power for the Arbaletrier, but it needs to come at a cost. There is no trade off for this unit. It’s a crossbow that has something for each of its weaknesses except the low health pool.

Yes, they do. Arbaletriers end up with 10 melee armor. The usual maa ends up with 8, Palace guards with 7. English maa with 10 for both melee and ranged. English maa gain +2 extra armor through their tech, which adds up to +5 with bs upgrades. That’s a very strong tech, no one’s denying that. It’s the most cost effective front line in the game one could argue. Especially with enclosures behind it. But even the English maa gets countered by crossbows as he is a heavily armored unit. Spears do barely anything to them.

Just as they do to Arbaletriers. Spears do nothing to them. But Arbaletriers are light units that counter heavy ones.

Spears are not really countered by crossbows. Crossbows do no bonus damage to them and take (fully upgraded) 12 dmg per hit from a spearman. It is very cost effective to play spearmen vs crossbows, but that doesn’t work for the Arbaletrier. Which would be fine, if this unit wasn’t light with a heavy armor, which somewhat beats the system. That is why I say make Arbaletriers heavy (if you research the gambeson upgrade, before that they should be normal crossbows that are light and just as unarmored), give them the same amount of armor as the usual maa (8/8) and allow pavise to increase it to 10/10 (+ 2/2) for 20 seconds on a 40 second cooldown. Allow them to still be able to move, but at a reduced speed (25% slower). That would make them the heavy unit they actually are, spears and archers would be somewhat useless against them, horsemen would be okayish and crossbows would be the real and actual counter. That would make the Arbaletrier very unique, as the normal cb counters (spears for cost effectiveness, archers as well, but at a better rate and horsemen excel, if they can close the gap) do not apply to him, but his heavier armor would make him more susceptible to armor piercing.

You could also go for Arbaletriers without gambeson, but with the pavise ability. The pavise movement speed penalty would also only come with the gambeson upgrade. These Arbaletriers would be weak vs spears, horsemen and archers (horse archers) and grenadiers, while the gambeson Arbaletrier would only really suffer other crossbows. The Grenadier effectiveness against them would also be very low as armor helps against the grenades.

I think this would be an elegant, unique and still very viable solution to the Arbaletrier matter.

Yes, but mangonels will probably not be reverted to their previous strength. They will probably receive a buff again, but they will never be as powerful as they have been I am rather sure. That’s why this “new” age of range needs to be looked at.

HC’s are fine for most civs, but the Streltsy clearly is not. He is cheaper and better. There needs to be done something about that as well, as it doesn’t make any sense. Why cheaper AND better? And he is significantly cheaper. The issue with English in my opinion lies more within the high increase of attack speed by the Network of Castles mechanic. That’s why English HCs can be very insane and even rival Streltsies in an open battle. Maybe enclosures is also a bit overtuned, but I think Network of Castles is the main issues. Hence my suggestions in that regard.